!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Class 31 two tone green, help needed  (Read 565 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish Class 31 two tone green, help needed
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:22:36 pm »
Hi all

I have one of the current Graham Farish Class 31's 371-110 in BR Green which has light green stripes, and one of the stripes has been damaged so need to find the correct colour to touch it up, anyone know the correct colour for this.

Thanks

Paul

Its this one

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Farish Class 31 two tone green, help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 05:13:17 pm »
This is your very loco, a bit dirty, on the western region main line just east of Didcot.

http://www.railphotoarchive.org/SearchEnginePt2V5.php?aid=&tpp=&_format=4&img=0219020154000&_PAGE=1

Do you need all the stripe to be visible, or could you weather it to look like the real one?

HTH
Bob

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:20:41 pm »
I am not too keen on weathering so would like to keep the as new look if possible, I do have a few weathered when needs must and that was the only option available at the time, I can do weathering but my OCD means I don't know when to stop until its ruined  :censored:

Paul

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:41:47 pm »
I have one of the current Graham Farish Class 31's 371-110 in BR Green which has light green stripes, and one of the stripes has been damaged so need to find the correct colour to touch it up, anyone know the correct colour for this.

If you bought it new, can't you just send it back for replacement? Sounds like the sort of thing that would be covered by the warranty.

If it's secondhand, you might just turn a blind eye until a spare body becomes available. I've found Bachmann very good about sending out spares whenever I've asked (admittedly, no more than once or twice).

Cheers, NeMo

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 05:51:46 pm »
A bit of a long job to do, but Fox do transfers for the correct lining...

Martyn

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:02:39 pm »
Humbrol RAF Sky, number 90 is an almost perfect match.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline andymozza

• N Gauge Society Number: 7697
  • 2mm Association Number: 2293
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 08:48:33 pm »
Hi, BR Lines are currently listing new, replacement body of the same BR Green class 31 on the website, if you are really desperate for new pristine body. You could then sell the marked body on ebay or a member here. cheers Andy.

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:49:38 pm »
Don't need a new body for just a damaged thin green line, quite happy to just mask it of and spray over the damaged area.

Thanks Dr Al will investigate the Humbrol Sky

Paul

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 09:24:01 am »
Dr Al Humbrol 90 is beige green which I assume you mean as it is very close.

Paul

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 10:34:26 am »
 Interesting to hear you've had problems with this upper line. I have had the same problem with my new/earlier green version, this upper lining just keeping flaking off. The lower/bottom line is fine. Took it all off and applied lining transfers, and they keep coming off too. So I just tried enamel paint as a test, and that came away as well. For some reason the paint finish just won't seem to allow anything to key to it. Whether it's allied to the raised panel I don't know because logic says the finish is the same all over the body. Really wierd.

Thankfully my later era plain blue one is quite okay........Ahem.....

Izzy

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 12:14:37 pm »
Dr Al Humbrol 90 is beige green which I assume you mean as it is very close.

Paul

Yes - it's actually called Sky, and was used on the underside of Spitfires, Hurricanes in WW2 Battle of Britain 1940:

I agree it's not actually what you'd think "sky" would be - but it's a perfect match on these 31s - I've used it on them several times in the past.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 12:17:43 pm »
Interesting to hear you've had problems with this upper line. I have had the same problem with my new/earlier green version, this upper lining just keeping flaking off. The lower/bottom line is fine. Took it all off and applied lining transfers, and they keep coming off too. So I just tried enamel paint as a test, and that came away as well. For some reason the paint finish just won't seem to allow anything to key to it. Whether it's allied to the raised panel I don't know because logic says the finish is the same all over the body. Really wierd.

Izzy

Maybe try matt varnishing the model before trying to paint the stripe, to help give a key?

Farish printing can come off easily - this is not uncommon - the tampo-print lining and suchlike will lift with some oils and solvents, or by rough handling. Already you can see quite a few models on the secondhand market with badly worn lining, window silver etc. I think overpainting with varnish does help protect it.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 12:47:00 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it..... I can't see where it is on your original photo!

Oh, hang on.... that was a catalogue pic. Just how bad is it?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:49:36 pm by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 10:20:36 am »

Izzy

Maybe try matt varnishing the model before trying to paint the stripe, to help give a key?

Farish printing can come off easily - this is not uncommon - the tampo-print lining and suchlike will lift with some oils and solvents, or by rough handling. Already you can see quite a few models on the secondhand market with badly worn lining, window silver etc. I think overpainting with varnish does help protect it.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan,

I wasn't aware this was a common problem with Farish tampo stuff, now I know I'll be more wary wherever it is involved and take what precautions I can.

Izzy

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 02:26:02 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it..... I can't see where it is on your original photo!

Oh, hang on.... that was a catalogue pic. Just how bad is it?

This is the damage, obviously the loco was not brand new and I knew it was damaged when I bought it, and was quite happy to mask a new line and spray it now that I have the correct colour paint thanks to Dr Al

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here