Do you like running trains?

Started by NinOz, April 04, 2018, 11:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I like to design and build layouts, do the scenery and then watch the trains go by. I've always had roundy roundy layouts and I do minimal shunting. I have far too much stock for my layout so I suppose I'm a bit of a collector too.

Our modular club layout is one great big roundy roundy so there are lots more that enjoy just sitting back and watching the trains go by.

:NGaugersRule:

Graham

I found this thread really interesting, it shows how diverse we all are in this great hobby, and how it can accommodate the wide range of interests. I for one enjoy the building of the layout, scenery and buildings, but most of all I REALLY enjoy sitting and watching the trains go past. Even better with a beer in hand.
cheers
Graham

Bob Tidbury

I really like doing the scenery most of all but then I find it very relaxing just watching the trains going through the miniature  world that I created .My layout is 20ft X 8ft  and we allways run a train at least twice round then chsnge it for the next one  .And we have a rule that every time we have a running session my late mate CYRILs freight train headed by his Black Five which I named Squirell ,which was his nick name , HAS to run round at least twice in his memory .
Everyone who met him knows what a really nice guy he was ,A real character.
Bob Tidbury

njee20

Love it!

As soon as I got to a point where I could put my stock on the layout it was fatal, barely made progress since as, given 15 minutes, I could do some ballasting, or I could just run some trains around!

Philip.

Love watching my trains go round, but then I am easily pleased  :D

Seriously though, I get enjoyment out of all aspects of the hobby, even ballasting!

NeMo

Quote from: Tornado on April 05, 2018, 05:28:07 PM
Seriously though, I get enjoyment out of all aspects of the hobby, even ballasting!

:goggleeyes:

The chaps in the white coats will be 'round soon to fetch you home -- that's just not normal!

NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

ntpntpntp

Ballasting is fun, I find it quite relaxing just brushing grains around with an old makeup brush then drizzling dilute PVA down the sides of the rails. I can't understand what's not to like about it.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

joe cassidy

How about un-gumming gummed up points ?

daversmth

Roundy roundy
Clackity clack
Monday to Friday
I'm getting the knack

Fast in the corner
Onto the floor
My best steamer
Is no more

It's the ballasting that does it.  Addles my brain ....

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Philip.

Quote from: NeMo on April 05, 2018, 05:38:54 PM
Quote from: Tornado on April 05, 2018, 05:28:07 PM

:goggleeyes:

The chaps in the white coats will be 'round soon to fetch you home -- that's just not normal!

NeMo
:D :D :D :P

mattycoops43

What a great topic! You have really made me think.

I am a self confessed 'roundy roundy' er, but then when I actually go and play trains I get bored very quickly. I have started making up shunting puzzles, how to get the inspection train out and a loco on the right end without using the giant hand in the sky.

I actually love making or mending stuff more than anything else and it has always been that way. I particularly love a good wiring session, but like most things. Beattie road has stalled at the moment because i can't get up any enthusiasm for foam bashing. One of the few jobs I really can't stand.

Have some surface mount point motors to put on the ones I can't reach, that may install some enthusiasm once I beat this flu. I had a cold, then just as I was coming out of it got a dose of real fly, been in bed for 4 days straight, just about managed to crawl in front of the tv this morning.

dannyboy

Hope you improve quickly matty.  :thumbsup: And I know exactly what you mean about lacking enthusiasm - I did about 30 minutes work yesterday on an incline and when I checked my notes, I found that I had not done any work on the layout since 29th January.   :(. I blame the weather!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ten0G

At present, my only chance to run any trains is on a continuous circuit of Kato unitrack which I have to setup each time on the dining-room table.  When I receive new items I just ensure all is well, everything runs through the pointwork, and the locos have an acceptable hauling capacity after running-in.  Then it all gets packed away again.   :'(

While I get a certain amount of satisfaction increasing the loads to realistic train lengths, say 13 Mk1s behind a Castle, I do feel that I would soon find continuous running as boring as operating a bog-standard Ashburton-type layout. 

When I can start the layout I have in mind, it will of course have continuous running facilities for running-in and some playingtest-running may take place, but mainly I hope to run it in a railway-like manner which doesn't invoke Rule 1 - very much.  ;)

I have yet to experience the joys of track-laying and ballasting!   :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations