!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline ACA

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2018, 05:51:50 pm »

Hello all,

I have been reading the responses to this thread with interest.

In terms of a "golden age" to me the question seems simple:  If you had to choose, and on the basis of models alone (ie not real railway, your own life/age etc), would you rather be an N gauge enthusiast in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s or present?

For sure I would pick the present.

Cheers

Ben A.

I totally agree with this, modern image modeller are better catered for than ever before, there are some amazing steam locomotives and big four coaches now available and in the near future new models of pre grouping locomotives. Compared to what was available just ten years ago these are riches indeed. Yes there are gaps in N gauge no Atlantic's for a start compared with 00 but n gauge is a niche market in comparison due to 00 being more child friendly it is more likely to be the scale you start with and possibly stick with over time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:23:51 pm by Newportnobby, Reason: Quotation and response separated »

Offline Western Exile

• N Gauge Society Number: 23198
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2018, 06:59:39 pm »

Hello all,

I have been reading the responses to this thread with interest.

In terms of a "golden age" to me the question seems simple:  If you had to choose, and on the basis of models alone (ie not real railway, your own life/age etc), would you rather be an N gauge enthusiast in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s or present?

For sure I would pick the present.

Cheers

Ben A.

I agree. It was largely due to seeing a picture of a Farish 47 in a Peco catalogue a few years ago that got me back into the hobby. To start with, I didn’t believe it was N gauge as it looked so much better than the Minitrix and Graham Farish versions that I knew from years ago (and don’t mention the Lima Deltic  :-\) in that it actually looked like a 47.
There is an enormous range available today even including wagon types that barely reached double figures in the real world. No, I like things just the way they are today, thanks very much.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:00:55 pm by Western Exile »

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:39 am »
I agree: it's much better to play N gauge in the 2010s than ever.
The quality has much improved, many new suppliers appeared for both rolling stock and scenery.

But for the very first time, I decided not to buy some items I’d like to have because of the price going so high. This is true for Graham Farish and some of their recent announcements; it is also true for some continental suppliers such as Minitrix.
So I guess we are at a turning point in N gauge history.

We still have some years in front of us with more industrial superb models, such as the RGP1 from REE Modčles, the BB 4200 from Hobby 66, all those lovely novelties from Revolution Trains and DJ Models, etc.
But they will be less and less affordable.
So here is my guess:
•   3D printing will become key. We still miss coloured, highly detailed and robust 3D printing, but they will come. We are at the very beginning.
•   How to control your model trains has started to change. Even if you stay on the DC/analogue side as I, you have innovations such as these ones from Kato (www.1999.co.jp/eng/10530450 and www.1999.co.jp/eng/10303938) or that one from Rokuhan (www.rokuhan.com/english/news/2017/08/e-train-controller-2introduction-of-more-useful-functions-for-e-train-controller.html). They are appealing.

So, I would say we are at the top of the current era but this era is about to move on to 3D printing and new ways of controlling our trains.
My guess as Madam Irma, fortune-teller…  :dunce:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:20 am »
Even though I'm getting on and me eyesight ain't what it was, N is my gauge, and always will be.

The new models are fantastic (and yes, I know... I've promised pics of Revolution's incredible Class B tankers on my layout.... coming!), so yes, I think I'm happy with N 2018.

00 models look like toys to me.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline tgv_obsessed

• N Gauge Society Number: yes
  • 2mm Association Number: no
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2018, 11:48:38 pm »
If you model as near to possible to prototype, don't mix  it up too much, run your trains at scale speed, have the skills in tracklaying and wiring required for peco 55, and have plenty of time on your hands, then this could be golden age.

If however, you like to play with your toy trains in a different way- say have them hurtle round multiple set track  ovals with tight radii, with some plastic platforms, then it is probably not a golden age.

I you are somewhere in the middle, then the guild of the age probably depends on how guilded ones pocket is.

I think this is probably true for OO too.
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything