100 YEARS OF THE RAF WITH EWAN & COLIN MCGREGOR

Started by Newportnobby, March 26, 2018, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Recorded last night and watched today, what a glorious and emotional programme it was.
90 minutes of sheer wonderment.

GroupC

Thanks NN - it's on my list of things to catch up with so I'm pleased it'll be worth my while.

One of the commercial channels (More 4...? but I may be wrong) has a "weekend" of RAF programmes on, I would guess at the, err,  weekend, but from the trailer I saw they've all been on before. Worth seeing again though.

PostModN66

Two iconic Avro aircraft featured strongly, with barely a mention of Hawker or De Havilland; so the balance was right!   :D

Cheers Jon  :) :photospleasesign:
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

RailGooner

I have it recorded, but will have for MBH to go out before I can watch it. I have a tick - whenever I see anything of my old squadrons, I have to shout it out! MBH has had enough of me shouting 'TWENTY NINE' when ever the trailer has aired, so has declared that I have to watch it on my own. :D

RailGooner

Quote from: PostModN66 on March 26, 2018, 06:57:51 PM
Two iconic Avro aircraft featured strongly, with barely a mention of Hawker or De Havilland; so the balance was right!   :D

:D You asked for photos Jon, so I thought you might like this pic of the aircraft that won the Battle of Britain:

Hurricane mk1 r4118 fairford arp [Public domain], by Arpingstone (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

GroupC

Just watched it, excellent. Evocative, moving, sobering and more, brilliantly shot and with Ewan and Colin the perfect presenters. Tales of Sierra Leone and the Falklands were for me highlights, even though that's not quite the right way to describe them. Makes almost anyone else's "day job worries" seem totally insignificant when you hear what these guys (and of course all their RAF colleagues from the whole century) endure.

PostModN66

Quote from: RailGooner on March 26, 2018, 07:34:44 PM
Quote from: PostModN66 on March 26, 2018, 06:57:51 PM

:D You asked for photos Jon, so I thought you might like this pic of the aircraft that won the Battle of Britain:

Hurricane mk1 r4118 fairford arp [Public domain], by Arpingstone (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

That's a funny looking Spitfire; the wings look all wrong and the gear looks like it retracts inward  ???

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

RailGooner

daffy

I shall watch it again, feeling even more jealous of Ewan and Colin as they get to fly in all manner of 'types'.
:jealous:

Mind you, I probably wouldn't pass the health checks for the biplane, let alone the Typhoon! :(

Here's to the next 100 years for those magnificent men and women in their flying machines. :beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

javlinfaw7

QuoteQuote from: PostModN66 on March 26, 2018, 06:57:51 pm

Two DH types shown early on

The Q

29 squadron that'll be XX X squadron then
Working for GEC Marconi I've worked on both  RAF 29 Squadron,  and RSAF 29 Squadron Aircraft ( Tornado ADV).( Or part of

As for the TV programme I was disappointed, it seemed more of an excuse for the macgregors  to go flying for free.
The content was slim,  very much a coffee table book of a film nothing new in it, I didn't know about it.
Also major aircraft were missing, the Sopwith Camel and the deHaviland Mosquito

javlinfaw7

Plus any post war other than the Vulcan and Typhoon

The Q

The  Tornado GR4 was mentioned and there was a  fleeting view of them.

Dorsetmike

(Images from Google)

"Flying tin openers" as a result of tank busting with Hurricane Mk IIs in N Africa during WW2; I was with them in '56/7 Iraq & Cyprus, Cpl I/C Radio section.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

RailGooner

Quote from: The Q on April 01, 2018, 04:00:35 PM
As for the TV programme I was disappointed, it seemed more of an excuse for the macgregors  to go flying for free.
The content was slim,  very much a coffee table book of a film nothing new in it, I didn't know about it.
Also major aircraft were missing, the Sopwith Camel and the deHaviland Mosquito

Agree. I thought it was OK entertainment, especially for Messrs McGregor. But I doubt if many found it at all educational. Hopefully the subject will receive more serious treatment yet, with the likes of Dan Snow presenting.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations