Spoiler Alert F1

Started by bridgiesimon, March 25, 2018, 07:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgiesimon

What the hell has just happened? I thought thee whole point of a virtual safety car period was to neutralise the race so EVERYBODY stayed in their places not getting the massive advantage to go from 3rd to 1st!

As a Hamilton fan, I get disappointed to see him beaten but under these circumstances? I hate to see any race decided in such a way - makes a mockery of the regulations once more!

Not an impressed F1 fan though great to see McLaren doing better and I am pleased that the race pace between Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull is reasonably similar - good signs for the season to come!

Now what I need is lots of trains to cheer me up again, oh that is lucky we are off to the West Somerset Railway in a bit for the 4th day of their spring steam gala, just what I need!!

Simon

Bealman

I'm pleased to hear that the railway stuff is going to assist you with the F1 issue!  :thumbsup: ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

bridgiesimon

hehe, yeah no matter how frustrated etc, railways are a great calming influence (other than when they are late or in model form do not work for stupid reasons I cannot find)

Simon

Newportnobby

Quote from: bridgiesimon on March 25, 2018, 07:55:04 AM
makes a mockery of the regulations once more!

I understand your frustration, Simon, and to start with did wonder how on earth it all came about but there was no mockery of the regulations, just Ferrari using them to best effect. Much though Hamilton deserved the victory, he was just unlucky timing wise.
Maybe the powers that be should stipulate no stops can be made under a virtual safety car :hmmm:

bridgiesimon

totally agree, newportnobby, twas a regulations issue, even Vettel admitted that he won through luck and they were not good enough to win outright. I just do not like it when results, whichever way round they occur, are through these sort of issues instead of good old fashioned racing. Star of the day as far as I was concerned - Alonso inthe McLaren.

Best wishes
Simon

Vonzack

Gutted too, Hamilton should have taken the win.

I think the software they talk about, didn't take account of where the delta points were for the VSC. I assume Vettel passed the one before the start / finish, raced into the pit lane, had his stop and then went over the start / finish line still within the acceptable delta time. Placing one of the VSC Delta lines at the pit entrance or having the start/finish line there would stop this IMO.

Cheers, Mark.

David Asquith

Simon,  I agree with everything you said.  Thanks for the spoiler alert as I avoided the news all day until I watched the highlights.

One way of looking at it is everybody had the same opportunity but Ferrari took it.  Maybe there will be circumstances in future races when Mercedes or hopefully McLaren can do something similar.

Dave

njee20

Aside from that surely you've just got the fact to consider that if Vettel was within x seconds of Hamilton when Hamilton pitted, if x is greater than the lap time variance between 'normal' and VSC (which clearly isn't full race pace) then Vettel will still leapfrog Hamilton.

Yes ok it's a victory on a bit of luck, but that's no different to normal safety car, a mechanical, a pit stop screw up etc etc - most races are won on luck and technicalities!

I enjoyed the race generally though, I've high hopes for the season. Good to see McLaren performing markedly better than in recent years. Shame Force India seem to have fallen down the ranks. I was bemused by Haas's implosion at the pitstops on the back on a stellar qualifying performance.

bridgiesimon

Yeah, Hass have big issues!!

Vonzack

Quote from: bridgiesimon on March 26, 2018, 10:29:41 AM
Yeah, Hass have big issues!!

Good race pace from them though, hopefully they can sort out the wheel nuts pretty quickly.

njee20

I think it was probably the nut with the gun that was causing the problems!

bridgiesimon

Just needs practise and a process to stop cars leaving til all wheels sorted.
Loved the rest of the race, got up, made bacon and egg sarnies and a cup of tea then sat and watched it.
Big grin on my face to have it back. Seemed like a long closed season!

Simon

njee20

Suffice to say I think they have done both, but clearly the process failed!

Newportnobby

The only issue for me was the  :censored: Beeb telling me who was on pole on their early breakfast show on the Saturday :veryangry:
I felt gutted for the Haas team and thought Grosjean's reaction with the pit crew was above and beyond. What a gent!

David Asquith

Quote from: newportnobby on March 26, 2018, 11:42:48 AM
The only issue for me was the  :censored: Beeb telling me who was on pole on their early breakfast show on the Saturday :veryangry:
I felt gutted for the Haas team and thought Grosjean's reaction with the pit crew was above and beyond. What a gent!
Me too Mick.  Managed to avoid the first one but not the second!

Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations