!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Langley Models A97a - Gibbet Crane  (Read 728 times)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Langley Models A97a - Gibbet Crane
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:39 pm »
Several years ago I bought a Langley Models whitemetal Gibbet Crane (A97a) but without a particular project in mind. Moving house recently re-surfaced several "useful one day" items, so I decided to build this as a canal-side goods hoist for my colliery layout. Theres a similar crane at Audlem that looks very impressive, but it's actually a static transplant from inside a railway goods shed.

You can get the kit for £4.50 + P&P and it comprises 6 components and a piece of twine. Just Glue/Paint/Plant then .... well, maybe not...

I didn't want to begin until I'd got my head around the way the rigging worked. There's a rigged example at the NRM, which I'd foolishly only photographed from one side:

Flickr provided the reverse view, but it still puzzled me - what were those loose ends of rope about?

A discussion on the Scale four website provided some useful information and links, including these to a crane rescued from the Stranraer Goods Shed.

I decided that my bottom crank and windlass would wind one rope connected to the large pulley wheel. The large wheel winds a second windlass, with a second rope, along the jib to the hook. There's a ratchet wheel on the lower windlass assembly, so I assume that the weight of the load/hook unwinds everything once the brake is released. I realise I should have checked my logic with you guys at that point!

My example had a lot of flash and distorted bits, so needed quite a bit of shaving,  filing and filling to get everything clean and ready. I couldnt see how the windlass location would allow a rope to wind cleanly to the large wheel, so modified that so it could be offset in-line with the wheel. Naturally the moulded crank handle broke off with handling, so I replaced this with bent wire.

Most of the examples I found (and indeed the Langley OO model) had tie-rods from the vertical post to the end of the jib, so I drilled through both and fashioned rods from handrail wire.

As I wanted it free-standing, and I wasn't convinced an unsupported gibbet would have been much use, I did some head-scratching, and decided a vertical RSJ would be plausible at a colliery, and trimmed the wall-mounting pivot to secure the top of the vertical post.

Dark-grey primed, then the woodwork white washed, then brown stain (Games Workshop Sepia) painted all over. The support girder was finished in Halfords red primer, also stained.

So, price-of-a-pint for about a week's fun, so very good modelling value for money!

Mike
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:53:46 am by maridunian »

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Langley Models A97a - Gibbet Crane
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:15:21 pm »
Nice work Mike!   :thumbsup:

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:26:39 pm »
Thanks Jon!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:08:00 pm »
That's a very good looking model, Mike.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:27 pm »
Thanks George!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:59:21 pm »
You're welcome, mate. Well researched, too. I'm sure it will be useful to other members.

I'm looking closely at my Ratio cranes!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:28:06 pm »
In a spooky footnote to this project, on Friday I came across this at Stepaside,  less than 2 miles from my new house, and hit the brakes...

Not much ironwork left on it, but it's clearly free-standing, so am reconsidering how I plant my model on the canal wharf. Also thinking about getting my stash of coffee-stirrers out again...

Mike
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:31:47 pm by maridunian »

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 03:29:31 am »
Wow, Mike!
Fantastic build!!
Exactly same as the real thing!
Looking forward to seeing more of your work, Mike!!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 10:10:30 am »
Wow, Mike!
Fantastic build!!
Exactly same as the real thing!
Looking forward to seeing more of your work, Mike!!

Dats

Thanks Dats. The timber is rotting fast, so I had to make a quick model of it!

Mike
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:23:01 am by maridunian »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 12:16:34 pm »
Lovely work and an inspiring prototype photo.

Roy

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:30:08 am »
Lovely work and an inspiring prototype photo.

Roy

Thanks Roy!

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 12:03:13 pm »
Finding myself in York today, I decided to nail the question of how their gibbet crane was rigged. I've uploaded a set of photos here.

The close-up of the large wheel, showing the anchored end of the rope from the lower winding mechanism and an attached top winding drum separately roped to the hook, confirms that both the Langley instructions and those for the Ratio Yard Crane, over simplify. Both show a ?50kg? cast-iron wheel hoisted 5m in the air just to rotate a rope by 90°, without offering its poor operators any mechanical advantage at all...

Mike
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:04:45 pm by maridunian »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything