Coach bogie blues.

Started by Old Crow, February 22, 2018, 06:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portpatrick

Agree with the above.  I have a number of older Farish coaches of most types, including the old suburbans and pseudo LMS Period 1 main line.  Fitting new style wheelsets is worth the expense in terms of appearance,  reduced collection of dirt and running quality.  All my Farish stock now runs on these.   Bob Russell, Peters Spares and Hattons have all supplied me over the years.  The underframes have the capability of hiding a little lead if you need to add weight.  I have not needed to add spacers between bogies and coach floors.  With the older coaches I seem to have a mix of the sprung couplings and older fixed pin versions.  I have not had difficulty sourcing the sprung version when required and keep a small stock in the doofer box  for coaches and wagons just in case.  Interesting but unlike "Old Crow" I have not had trouble with Poole style locos going through the Code 80 live frog points.  Not tried them on the code 55 I am using on my under construction modern image effort.

Old Crow

The misbehaving locos are "old clunkers" with very prominent flanges; basically it's the bogies that misguide or jump. The newer Poole-spec, what I call Chinese Poole, have lower profile wheels and are no problem. They are my favorites as they have nice heavy bodies and no need for traction tyres etc. Pull well and quite enough detail for me.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations