!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GNER White Rose Eurostar  (Read 1089 times)

Offline JPTRAIN

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
GNER White Rose Eurostar
« on: February 17, 2018, 12:09:38 pm »
Hi all,

Following my thread about CIP's I promised to show you all how my relivery of the Kato Eurostar into GNER White Rose livery is going, so far the noses have been hand painted as shown in the attached image and the shells have been primed and masked for the first coat of red on the doors!

I hope another update will follow progress this weekend but I won't make any promises!

Thanks

JPTRAIN

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: GNER White Rose Eurostar
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:36:31 pm »
You've made me want to try this now, as I've got a spare Eurostar or two kicking about!

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:07:20 pm »
Excellent to see someone else giving it a go! I'm afraid I haven't many any progress since making two dummy cars on mine but maybe over summer, I'll attempt to repaint a half-set!
Cracking work and I look forward to updates,
Philip

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 04:00:12 pm »
Hi Gang,

I also have one that was started many moons ago. It remains in bits at the bottom of a modelling cupboard.
Perhaps this thread is the incentive I need to make some progress.

Late,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline JPTRAIN

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm pleased to see I'm encouraging you all! @njee20 I'd recommend it, a classic livery on a cracking piece of design, and technologically fascinating to boot!

Progress is being made today so I'll share that with you all later, as part of this project I will also end up with 2 gner mk2 barrier coaches as well, which are being done the wrong way round as I only thought about the stripe after the first coat!

I'll be back!

JPTRAIN

Offline JPTRAIN

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:37:03 pm »
As promised some pics to round off a good weekends work...

Firstly we see the Power Cars after two coats of blue, i think another two required to really get the blue as deep as it should be. As that is on going I am due my other set of add-on coaches this week so we're not far off seeing some GNER Red going on the coach doors to start with!

As also mentioned above I'll also get some Mk2 Barrier coaches from this project and here these are after 3 coats of blue, next step is to mask and paint a white patch on for the stripe (these were an after thought to begin with and I didn't think to paint the stripe first!

Thanks for having a look!

JPTRAIN

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:28:01 am »
Got as far as this last night:

Untitled by njee20, on Flickr

In true Kato style it came apart really nicely, nothing glued together, even the glazing is just held in place by little 'pips' moulded into the roof.

Am I right in thinking the GNER sets were vinyled, and thus the roof and underframe presumably remained EPS blue? It's obviously a similar shade, but it'd be nice not to have to spray those too!

Decal set ordered from Fox, it includes the red bodyside stripes, but I'll paint them, think that'll look better, and mean they match the doors, which aren't included in the decals. I know it had blue doors originally, but think it looked better with red ones.

Offline JPTRAIN

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:06 am »
@njee20 , it is a great piece to take apart, shows how well constructed the models are!

Yeah they were vinyled and i am assuming they kept EPS blue roofs too

Completely agree that the Red doors looked much better and am also going down the route of red for those. Just remember to check which ones went red and which didn't as some were kept blue as they weren't for public use, i believe the Buffet coaches and the most central 2 doors at the mid-train connection coaches.

In terms of my progress i have received my second coach pack and am preparing to prime them this week. Unfortunately the big railway and a chest infection have diverted my energy the last couple of weeks!

Thanks

JPTRAIN

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 09:33:24 pm »
Yes I'm just doing an 8-car set. I'll never actually use it either, it'll go on eBay! If it sells well then I'll probably do another one with the add-on set, but then you need to do two sets really to get two buffets!

Sprayed the red on mine and masked the doors and stripe tonight. Used 2mm masking tape for the stripe, which I think is slightly too fat, but not a million miles off.

I figure if I post updates on here maybe I'll do it a bit quicker than my usual 'glacial' pace!

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:14:36 am »
will enjoy watching the progress.

Offline JPTRAIN

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:42:06 am »
I figure if I post updates on here maybe I'll do it a bit quicker than my usual 'glacial' pace!

Well said @njee20! It was my intention too that this way I'd keep on track ( :doh:) but being on the big real track is slowing me down, I'm hopeful of some time this weekend to get some coats on the doors as all the coaches are now primed and suitably masked.

Keep up the good work, hopefully I'll get caught up with you soon!

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 09:18:07 pm »
Not sure my masking is going to win any awards, the noses need quite a bit of tidying up, trying to get decent lines over the compound curves just didn't work too well, but generally pretty chuffed with how it's looking.

With hindsight the red is a bit thick - I fear it'll push the GNER 'badges' too close toward the solebar, they'll certainly be over the joint in the bodyshell which is a shame. See how it all comes together.

Cantrail stripes once I've tidied it all up, hoping I can use a lining pen using the joint between the roof and the bodyside as a guide. We shall see...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:20:36 pm by njee20 »

Offline amsie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 03:12:36 am »
Looks great.  I've been thinking of getting a Eurostar myself.  Can I ask are they easy to DCC?

Cheers Paul

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 06:56:47 am »
Not particularly annoyingly. There are drop in boards from Digitrax and TCS, Iíve only used the former, but you have to swap the LEDs around on the board, and then itís thicker, so you have to trim the body shell down slightly to fit.

Offline JPTRAIN

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:05:17 pm »
Hi All,

Finally got some time this weekend to get some progress in, another coat of blue has gone on the power cars and its bring out a nice smooth finish ready for a final coat with the coaching stock.

Next up the coaches have had red paint for the doors (somewhere on the pictures you might see where the masking tape is protecting them) and two coats of blue has gone on them as well.

Hoping to have more progress to report next weekend too! Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be starting transfers!

JPTRAIN

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything