!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scratch building a bridge for Clouds Hill  (Read 848 times)

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Scratch building a bridge for Clouds Hill
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:49:31 pm »
Hi All,

I've followed many build threads before and I've found them very helpful so I thought I'd share my own for the building of my bridge for Clouds Hill.

I've been itching to get started for a while but I've been waiting until everything else in the area is done. As it's being built completely from scratch I thought it would be easier to make the bridge fit the space rather than build the scenery around the bridge. So when I got to the point where I was ready I measured the critical dimensions;

I had an idea in my head of how I wanted it to look but it was never fully decided. I began by drawing 3 options in CAD and printing them out;

I cut out the outline of each and mounted them on card to see how they looked on the layout;

Option 1;

Option 2;

Option 3;

After seeing these in position I decided on option 1. Typically this was the fiddliest and most time consuming but it was the clear favorite for me.

For the construction I will be cutting both side pieces as a whole piece and then adding a top piece for the track bed and some cross pieces (matchsticks or cocktail sticks maybe). The scroll saw was to be the weapon of choice so I started by sticking the printout to a piece of wood and drilling a hole in the sections to be removed;

And then onto the scroll saw;

Once I'd found a rhythm and after many cycles of remove blade, insert bridge piece, replace blade.... it looked like this;

After some very delicate sanding it fitted and looked (in my opinion) pretty good;

As I was happy with it, it was time to go back to the pillar drill and scroll saw and do it all again for the other side. About half way through the second side either I was getting complacent, bored or overconfident because I was a bit rough removing one of the small cut pieces and I heard a horrible cracking sound;

:veryangry: :censored: :'( :-[

So now I'm sat watching the rugby with my dinner in the oven and I'll go back to it tonight if I fancy it. It's a shame as it was going well but in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, just a good reminder to be a little more careful and patient.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on how best to paint it. The lines are not perfectly clean so I think a wooden look would be more realistic looking then steel? Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking.
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Offline JohnN

• Awards
Re: Scratch building a bridge for Clouds Hill
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:00:09 pm »
Looking really good. Shame about the problem with the second side but I'm sure you'll  be fine  on the next attempt. Whatever you use to paint, I'd suggest a good coat of two of primer, lightly sanding after each coat.

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:31:11 pm »
That looks excellent. Made for the job, I'd say :) ;)
Personally I'd prefer to see it as metal so a dark grey would do if you could just gently sand it down with a needle file maybe :hmmm:

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:25:41 pm »
To be totally honest, when I was drawing this one I imagined it as metal. Iíll have a play and see what I can come up with. Itís so delicate that Iím nervous of sanding/filing too much. The joints are very weak when twisted.

After another failed attempt at the second piece I was getting nervous but third time lucky it was done!

Now I have the start of a kit of parts. I just need to work out the best way of putting it all together. Glue is the obvious choice but I need to think about how to hold it all together as it dries.  :hmmm:

All in all Iím very happy with todayís work!
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 09:45:40 pm »
Glad you got there OK Paul. It'll look fab once it's all assembled, painted and in place on your layout.  :thumbsup:

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 09:49:54 pm »
but I need to think about how to hold it all together as it dries
2 bits of wood  like the track bed as packers at the mid point and top,but not glued in,and a few elastic bands to hold it all tight?

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:31 pm »
I agree with a metal look when it comes to painting. I think a real bridge constructed like that would be iron or steel.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 10:10:24 pm »
Nice job, you could possibly strengthen it a bit by painting it with dope first, the stuff used on model Balsa planes before painting normally.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:46:57 am »
Iíd favour holding it together with elastic bands (not too tight!) during gluing/ assembly. Looking good.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:31:55 am »
 :thankyousign: for all the replies and ideas. I cut some simple support pieces this morning to give it some structural support.

Iím hoping to get some time this evening to start gluing it up.
Thanks,
Paul

Offline cjdodd

• Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:56:00 am »
Excellent work. I need to make a 4 track bridge for my layout. Youíve given me some inspiration. I was going to the plasticard approach.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 07:26:15 pm »
I opted for a combination of the advice above. Lightly clamped with a packer lower down.

After a couple of hours in the clamps Iíve taken the packers out and glued in the supports. These are really tight so no need for clamps.

After a day or 2 Iíll have a go at more precise sanding/filing. Then Iíll get the primer out. Iím thinking metal but Iíll decide once the first primer coat is on.

Thanks again for all the comments.
Thanks,
Paul

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 07:45:15 pm »
Looking good Paul.   :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards