!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage  (Read 3900 times)

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:12 am »
:thankyousign:
Thanks Carmont.. that would simplify things as well as improving access - great suggestion

Prototypically, trains travelling clockwise would have two options to access the goods yard. Either stop and run 'round their train at the platform and then cross into the anti-clockwise line to then reverse into the goods yard, OR travel past the station to a run 'round loop further up the line, then return to your station on the anti-clockwise line and then reverse into the goods yard.

Would it not be easier (and still prototypical) to reverse the positions of both sets of crossovers at the ends of the island platform?  In reality, both sets would have been interlocked, so that a clockwise train could be signalled through the island on one side or the other, but a train destined for the branch would have to come to a stand after clearing the first crossover, before both sets were set to normal for a) the branch train to proceed down the branch or b) a second clockwise train to be signalled though on the main line.

Thanks for all the suggestions Carmont, Acook & SheldonC..........I assume you mean this simplified arrangement would serve better?

If it looks right, it probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2018, 08:25:37 am »
Look what arrived in the post today.......... what a quick delivery you get from Colin (as quick as Amazon Prime)... Great service from truly British supplier.

What a lovely locomotive!  I completely agree regarding the service.........

I hope you enjoy your Dukedog as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks John, actually I was greedy and also bought a Dean Goods (with management approval). As some have said, they lack a little fine detail but on balance they are fabulously designed and constructed (and weighty) and should last for years. If only I had enough stock to test their legendary pulling power.  :)

Excellent!  The Dean Goods is a fabulous locomotive.  Yes, I agree, Union Mills locomotives are ideal for operation and will work pretty much any traffic you like without fuss.  The proportions are correct and they look 'right'.  Perfect 'layout locomotives'.

Are you planning on obtaining a Collett Goods as well?

By the way, your splendid layout plan has the coal siding in an awkward place to shunt as a kick-back off the cattle dock.  I'd be inclined to use the middle siding for coal and dispense with the kick-back road.  That'll be much more straightforward to operate.

With all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 08:30:52 am »
Thanks John........ no motive power expansion plans yet as my startup costs have been quite high so far.... but later for definite. Thanks for the suggestion re. coal....... Idid consider an Engine shed on that kickback...... but maybe a bit overkill for the size of the location so under review now.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2018, 05:08:44 pm »
A bit of progress today at Charlport Junction. A holiday in Tenerife to escape the beast from the east along with a ski trip (you've got to love retirement) have delayed progress. Now the legs have recovered I can start to get to grips with the track and points. By extending the point motors out to the edge of the board, I hope to ease my back when wiring and maintenance is required.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2018, 05:11:36 pm »
......... and what progress looks like when you don't clean up for the camera :dunce:

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:13 pm »
Thanks Carmont.. that would simplify things as well as improving access - great suggestion

Prototypically, trains travelling clockwise would have two options to access the goods yard. Either stop and run 'round their train at the platform and then cross into the anti-clockwise line to then reverse into the goods yard, OR travel past the station to a run 'round loop further up the line, then return to your station on the anti-clockwise line and then reverse into the goods yard.

Would it not be easier (and still prototypical) to reverse the positions of both sets of crossovers at the ends of the island platform?  In reality, both sets would have been interlocked, so that a clockwise train could be signalled through the island on one side or the other, but a train destined for the branch would have to come to a stand after clearing the first crossover, before both sets were set to normal for a) the branch train to proceed down the branch or b) a second clockwise train to be signalled though on the main line.

Thanks for all the suggestions Carmont, Acook & SheldonC..........I assume you mean this simplified arrangement would serve better?

Exactly that.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2018, 09:15:35 am »
I'd have thought that it might be a good idea to move the right hand crossover between platform 1 (down?) and p2 (up?) lines a little further right to the other side of the siding point so as trains from platform 3 can crossover to the p1 down line.

I'm assuming UK convention where the up track is always the outer clockwise one.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2018, 09:22:51 am »
 :thankyousign: Thanks Caz, I'm always open to suggestions and there have been a few which have got me to this point. I won't be doing much more track laying for a few days so I would be happy to take suggestions before moving the track becomes a major works for the PW gang.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2018, 09:25:09 am »
......... and what progress looks like when you don't clean up for the camera

I wish mine was that tidy. I don't currently have a single foot of unburied track to run something on :'(

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2018, 09:39:49 am »
A bit of progress today at Charlport Junction. A holiday in Tenerife to escape the beast from the east along with a ski trip (you've got to love retirement) have delayed progress. Now the legs have recovered I can start to get to grips with the track and points. By extending the point motors out to the edge of the board, I hope to ease my back when wiring and maintenance is required.

I like your point motor arrangement, Dave.  I had been thinking about something similar for a plan that I'm mulling over.  I'd certainly be particularly grateful for more details if you were able to find the time.

With best wishes.

John
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:40:54 am by Train Waiting, Reason: Missing full stop. »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 10:09:00 am »
Hi John, The points control is a simple extension of surface mounted peco motors but requires some fiddling and needs to be in a relatively straight line. I used 3mm (outside diam) ptfe tube and 0.8mm diameter steel piano wire - both easily obtained on flea bay. Having cut the tubing to a "near enough" length, I fixed the point end of it down with hot glue. Then inserted the piano wire and fitted to the point end with a bend. Having cut the motor end of the wire and fixed it to the motor, a little shuffling of the tube and the motor determined the optimum position for the motor. It is important to check actuation in both directions a few times before screwing the motor down. Final tweaks can then be made if needed by wiggling (technical term) the tubing before finally glueing it down. Finally, do an electrical test to make sure it does what it should.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 10:12:28 am »
That's some pretty impressive under/above board engineering!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:14:14 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2018, 10:15:48 am »
That's some pretty impressive under board engineering!  :thumbsup:
:no:
It's actually all on the surface to save all that crawling around underneath when the switches give (inevitable) problems.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2018, 10:19:17 am »
Thanks! I modified my post when the light dawned  :dunce: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2018, 11:50:15 am »
I'd have thought that it might be a good idea to move the right hand crossover between platform 1 (down?) and p2 (up?) lines a little further right to the other side of the siding point so as trains from platform 3 can crossover to the p1 down line.

I'm assuming UK convention where the up track is always the outer clockwise one.
This would allow a loco in charge of a clockwise goods train more easily to leave some or all of its train in a safe place (platform 3) while it shunts the yard and drops off wagons from its train &/or picks up others from the yard and leaving intervals for other clockwise trains to pass through on Platform 2.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything