!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage  (Read 2585 times)

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Charlport Junction - N gauge in the garage
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »
When coming over to N from the dark side (00) it's quite hard to get your head around size and scale. So before track laying commences I thought I'd build something... just to get a feel for size.

I have also been experimenting with controllers today..... I have some nice ECM Compspeeds ready but felt they might prove to be a bit powerful for N. So, by replacing the recommended 12 - 16 v a.c. transformer with a 9v one, all seems good on the test track (no load output to track peaked at 8.8v) and slow running was lovely.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:40:32 pm by DaveGlew »
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »
Slow progress at Charlport Junction (compared to some on this illustrious forum) but I had to escape the snow and hide in the Canaries for a while. Anyway, before my next holiday I thought I'd better do a bit. Main and folding boards are now complete so time to think about tracklaying. Having thoroughly varnished the mdf I am now fixing the foam underlay. I've also taken delivery of a Faller car system so need to think carefully about a roadway plan. Also working on the wiring plans for my DC cab.
[/url]

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 10:34:56 pm »
First bit of track laid and first electromagnet installed.... then had to take a break to construct a lambing shelter in 1:1 scale with my pal....... spring is here  :)

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 06:59:24 pm »
Look what arrived in the post today.......... what a quick delivery you get from Colin (as quick as Amazon Prime)... Great service from truly British supplier.

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 01:03:37 pm »
:thankyousign:
Thanks Carmont.. that would simplify things as well as improving access - great suggestion

Prototypically, trains travelling clockwise would have two options to access the goods yard. Either stop and run 'round their train at the platform and then cross into the anti-clockwise line to then reverse into the goods yard, OR travel past the station to a run 'round loop further up the line, then return to your station on the anti-clockwise line and then reverse into the goods yard.
Would it not be easier (and still prototypical) to reverse the positions of both sets of crossovers at the ends of the island platform?  In reality, both sets would have been interlocked, so that a clockwise train could be signalled through the island on one side or the other, but a train destined for the branch would have to come to a stand after clearing the first crossover, before both sets were set to normal for a) the branch train to proceed down the branch or b) a second clockwise train to be signalled though on the main line.

Offline SheldonC

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2018, 01:46:31 pm »
If you reverse the crossover at the right hand end then you can come off the clockwise main into what would then form a passing loop.
also useful to park a slow train to allow the non stopping express through, and makes a run around loop for the branch train engine.
HTH
Alan
I see now that you beat me to the draw. :thumbsup:

Offline SheldonC

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2018, 01:50:19 pm »
Look what arrived in the post today.......... what a quick delivery you get from Colin (as quick as Amazon Prime)... Great service from truly British supplier.

Colin's a great human benefactor, as well as being a one (+1) man band. :thankyousign:

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 02:18:30 pm »
 :thankyousign: Agreed fellas.....makes sense to change as described. My concern was having a facing point on the clockwise main but if that is locked I guess we're all good.

Offline amsie

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 04:50:01 pm »
Looking good.  I've just come back to N from OO after about 8 years.  I wish i'd never switched now to OO.  Hope you enjoy your switch to N gauge

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 04:53:48 pm »
Looking good.  I've just come back to N from OO after about 8 years.  I wish i'd never switched now to OO.  Hope you enjoy your switch to N gauge

Do what I've done and keep both  :)

Offline amsie

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 04:56:20 pm »

Do what I've done and keep both  :)

haha, I've mass sold most of my OO stuff to fund my N stuff.  Because my layout is in loft trusses, I was never really able to get a good view of the layout.  With N I get the view I want.  I left N at the time Farish was bought out by Bachmann and Dapol hadn't even entered the N market so there wasn't much going on N gauge wise. 

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 05:56:50 pm »
A day off with No. 1 grandson today so it had to be with these beauties.....

If these are the rubbery feeling cake toppers, that are almost N gauge ... you can (maybe not in front of your grandson) carve the faces off and apply them to your N gauge loco's to have an actual Thomas day on your layout .....  here is one of my attempts, with "Blue Peter" masquerading as Gordon!

Duck

Anyway, that is enough hi-jacking from Perthshire!  Apologies if you have already been doing that!

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 06:46:28 pm »
Ha Ha...... I like it Milton Rail. Actually they are metal, but you've got me thinking  >:D

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »

What a lovely locomotive!  I completely agree regarding the service.  I once had a little problem with one of my Union Mills locomotives and, by agreement, sent it for repair.  It was returned very quickly as good as new - no charge, done under guarantee.  Colin Heard very kindly said that the component was faulty.  The locomotive was over two years old and had run a fair mileage, mostly on goods trains.  Wonderful service and I sent the price of the return postage with my thank you letter as this was the least I could do.

It was these locomotives that persuaded me to give British 'N Gauge' another try.  There had been disappointments in the past!

I hope you enjoy your Dukedog as much as I enjoy mine.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2018, 04:53:50 am »

What a lovely locomotive!  I completely agree regarding the service.........

I hope you enjoy your Dukedog as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks John, actually I was greedy and also bought a Dean Goods (with management approval). As some have said, they lack a little fine detail but on balance they are fabulously designed and constructed (and weighty) and should last for years. If only I had enough stock to test their legendary pulling power.  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:29:26 am by DaveGlew »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here