!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Depol NEM Coupling Conversion, What Glue?  (Read 482 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Depol NEM Coupling Conversion, What Glue?
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:26:05 am »
Hi all

For those who have successfully used the Dapol NEM Coupling Conversion Kit, can I ask what glue you used?

I have tried the usual plastic glues from Tamiya and Revel but found the bond to be very weak, so far the only success I have had as been through using an epoxy but that makes it difficult to attain a neat clean installation, has anyone found a better option.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Stuart Down Under

• N Gauge Society Number: 3354
    • Awards
Re: Depol NEM Coupling Conversion, What Glue?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:34:48 am »
I have also resorted to using epoxy, but even then, both faces have to be roughened to get an adequate bond, and I have a failure rate of about 1 in 10. The test comes when I push the coupling into the NEM socket. However I would prefer a better solution.
 :helpneededsign:

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:26:50 pm »
I've used CA with no failures in a dozen or so conversions.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:31:38 pm by RailGooner, Reason: spellink »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:13:51 pm »
I have used Gorilla Gel glue, which is neat and simple to put on, dries in ten seconds giving time for adjustment, and seems to cope with all the varieties of plastic involved.  If you breathe on the glue when things are properly lined up, the moisture in your breath will set the glue.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:32:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys

Just done a few using epoxy but will give one of the thicker .CA types a go when I convert the next batch, as a side note if anyone fancies doing the mod, Peco wagons are the easiest to do as the chassis underside is at the correct height so all you have to do is clip the old pocket off and glue the new one on. I find Farish wagons are all over the place height wise often needing quite a bit of work to get the height right.

Paul

Offline Stuart Down Under

• N Gauge Society Number: 3354
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:14:47 pm »
I certainly agree with Paul that Peco wagons are the easiest to convert, even easier if you use the kits and do the conversion before assembly. GF are a challenge, and so are Dapol, which is particularly disappointing, as the originator of Easi-shunt. Why are they still producing non-NEM wagons??

I'll have a go with a gel CA too.

:thankyousign:

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 10:53:56 am »
I've had no problems with classic Araldite. Leave the wagon upside-down for 24 hours to guarantee a good bond.
Farish too are still producing non-NEM rolling stock--presumably re-tooling isn't justified. I'd recommend fitting American Bachmann couplers to most non-NEM items if you don't need magnetic couplers. Why Farish don't sell these in UK I've no idea--it seems an obvious thing to do.

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:38:43 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys

Just done a batch of conversions and this time I tried thick Zap superglue and what a difference, that will be my method from now on, just one word of caution, make sure you get the pocket in position the first time as once set there is no way are they coming off in one bit again the join is that strong.

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything