!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reading Glasses!  (Read 483 times)

Offline texhorse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Reading Glasses!
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:49 pm »
Hi guys, so reading glasses huh?  If you're short sighted, get some reading glasses yes?

I wear quite strong contact lenses for distance and found that I was unable to get close to the layout to do track laying.  Putting fishplates on the track and pins into the sleepers was dreadful.

I went to the opticians, and he suggested that even though I wore strong contact lenses, I could also wear a pair of weaker reading glasses at the same time.  I bought a pair of 1.5 strength glasses from Asda.  You know what?  It's blooming brilliant!  I can do close up work on the layout again without struggling to put track together at arm's length!

I had no idea you could wear contact lenses and weak reading glasses at the same time.  If anyone else has this problem, give it a try!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
Re: Reading Glasses!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:14 pm »
I've worn contact lenses on and off since the 70's , going back to the days of gas permeables. When my arms got too short to read restaurant menus [about 20 years ago] I started using separate reading glasses and have done so ever since. I find that the cheap and cheerful ones from the supermarkets are fine. My contact lens prescription is also fairly strong: -6.00/-4.25.

Just recently I tried varifocal contact lenses - these work by having a lens in one eye for reading and a lens in the other eye for distance vision. Apparently, so my optician tells me, the brain makes the necessary adjustments and it's just the same as wearing varifocal glasses. It really is great not to keep putting on and taking off my reading specs.

Incidentally, if you wear contact lenses and use a much stronger "reading" prescription say 3.5 it's the same as using a magnifier.

Offline BobB

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:08 am »
Mrs B has had her second cataract removed and she became so fed up using reading spec's that the optician has prescribed variable focal glasses so she can see distance, computer screen and book pages. Hope it works. I've just had one eye done and am going to get the second booked in about ten minutes time so if her solution works I'll be able to start modeling again !

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:55 am »
I hope the operation went well Bob!

For the record, my contact lenses are -6.0 / -5.5, so you see I have poor eyesight without them in.  OK well back to the shed for some more tracklaying now.  I've left the glasses on the layout ready!

Andy
UK

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:03:26 am »
I had cataracts on both eyes done last year and still can't get over how much better my eyesight is, I opted for distance vision so I need reading glasses. They are available from our equivalent of Boots at reasonable prices so there are pairs all over the house.

I use 1.50 for general reading and have some 3.00 for close up modelling work.

:NGaugersRule:

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 05:53:53 pm »
I got several pairs from Poundworld.. from 1.0 to 3.5

they were only 1 a pair and seem reasonable quality.

Cheers
Mark

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:19 pm »
You really will see a difference.  I was tracklaying again yesterday, and put my reading glasses on.  Seems I don't lose fishplates nearly as often now I wear them!  I believe my track is straighter and has better connection as a result!

Andy
UK

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here