1:72 Shackleton AEW2

Started by guest311, January 04, 2018, 07:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

dear all,
abject apologies for the foul language, ie 1:72, but for those interested in these things, Airfix, lord bless them, are releasing a 1:72 Shackleton AEW2 to match their MR2.
listed at IIRC £44.99, plus p&p, but managed to nab one on fleabay for £37.99 with free p&p.

having spent many nights guarding the MR.2 and .3 versions at a certain NI air force station, prior to a stint in the gulf before guarding Vulcans in Lincolnshire, I must admit to a great fondness for these proper aircraft. never had anything to do with the AEW2, but it was still a Shack  :) ie 10,000 rivets flying in close formation.

regards
alan

PostModN66

Quote from: class37025 on January 04, 2018, 07:33:17 PM
dear all,
abject apologies for the foul language, ie 1:72, but for those interested in these things, Airfix, lord bless them, are releasing a 1:72 Shackleton AEW2 to match their MR2.
listed at IIRC £44.99, plus p&p, but managed to nab one on fleabay for £37.99 with free p&p.

having spent many nights guarding the MR.2 and .3 versions at a certain NI air force station, prior to a stint in the gulf before guarding Vulcans in Lincolnshire, I must admit to a great fondness for these proper aircraft. never had anything to do with the AEW2, but it was still a Shack  :) ie 10,000 rivets flying in close formation.

regards
alan

Both these aircraft, particularly Vulcan, fondly regarded by me as I worked for "Avro" (By then Bae) at Woodford for 18 years.  If you are ever in the North West, you might want to take a look in at the Avro Heritage centre.  You can go into a Vulcan cockpit and pretend it's the Cold War again!

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

guest311

nothing to beat a TACEVAL at 04:00 with the 4 QRA Vulcans taking off one after another, full thrutch and sod the decibels.
you didn't so much hear them as feel them.
then all the others on the station t/o as soon as generated.

don't think I'll be shot for noting that they used to deploy out to us, when I was in NI. a stupendous sight.

brought their own fur box mechanics and brains on chains, so we didn't guard them, but when you were on the airfield patrol, always stopped for a chat before leaving them, on their static guard, while AD Rex and I would go rabbiting on the rest of the airfield :-)  :-X

The Q

Dad was with the Shacks in NI 61- 63, I just about remember seeing them, taking off ( trains on the runway permitting)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations