!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Easi-Fit/Shunts spring fitting  (Read 906 times)

Online Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol Easi-Fit/Shunts spring fitting
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:15:18 pm »
Hi all

I have some Easi-Shunts that have lost their springs, now although its nice that Dapol supply a few spares with each set of couplings, how the hell are you supposed to fit them

Anyone got any tips, other than don't bother trying ;) 

Thanks

Paul

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Easi-Fit/Shunts spring fitting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:21:16 pm »
I find it helps to put a dab of varnish on one of the pips, then put the spring on that pip and leave the varnish to dry. Now, if you slip when trying to get the spring on the facing pip, the spring shouldn't go shooting off in to the void.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:38:41 pm »
I thread a piece of cotton through the spring before trying to fit as it stops the carpet monster eating it and also helps to position the spring in the correct place   

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:42:37 pm »
I thread a piece of cotton through the spring before trying to fit as it stops the carpet monster eating it and also helps to position the spring in the correct place

I might give that a go next time, as the varnish method isn't infallible. :beers:

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:48:23 pm »
Do it inside a large clear plastic bag, and then if it slips it won't be hiding in the carpet.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:37:14 am »
I place the spring on the end of a cocktail stick and use that to transfer the spring onto one of the pips. It takes practice to get it right, the first time I tried it seemed impossible.

I wish I had thought of doing the spring replacement in a plastic bag, it would have saved me a few lost springs.

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 11:32:12 am »
I once had an afternoon when I refixed about 6.  Never managed any since!!  Some good ideas here.  I must adnit I blanch at the thought of trying to thread cotton through them.  But the varnish approach and using plastic bags seem sensible.  I have about 12 others - short and medium as those are the ones I use - that I want to restore.  That is over £25 of couplings so worth attempting.

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 07:25:12 pm »
I must adnit I blanch at the thought of trying to thread cotton through them. 

I should have mentioned that I thread a needle first and pass the needle through the spring.

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 07:55:54 pm »

I should have mentioned that I thread a needle first and pass the needle through the spring.

:goggleeyes: Like threading a needle will be any easier than threading a spring for my tired old eyes. :D

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 11:48:07 pm »

:goggleeyes: Like threading a needle will be any easier than threading a spring for my tired old eyes. :D

It's very easy to thread a needle (unless you try to thread a cut end of the cotton)
Loop the cotton around the needle and pinch the cotton between your forefinger and thumb, then holding it tight near the needle slip the loop of the end of the needle, now thread the loop through the eye of the needle. It's much easier than trying to describe it.

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 12:00:45 am »
Shouldn't there be some mention of a rich camel in the above instructions? ???
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:11:13 am »
Someone on here mentioned putting a tiny amount of super glue on one end of a cocktail stick and putting a tiny dab on one end of the spring to stop.it falling out .I NOW HAVE SEVERAL.COUPLINGS THAT DONT WORK because I dont have a steady enough hand ,a very expensive mistake still you live and learn . Ive learnt that things like that are beyond my capabilities .never mind I could have done the whole packet then this would have been posted in the VERY VERY UPSETT THREAD.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 04:38:00 pm »
Valid point Bob, as one who suffers from (worsening)Essential Tremor.  I was amazed I had that afternoon when I restored so many.  I admit I have not tried the superglue or varnish approach yet.  The combination of tremor and eyes which don't adjust as well as they did years ago do not help.  I may not be alone among myopic people in finding that soon after I have a new pair of varifocals the close up adjustment needed changes again!  And at over £400 a pair (varifocals with high optical density lenses to avoid needing coke bottle tops for distant vision) I cannot go too often. 

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 11:15:18 pm »
I may not be alone among myopic people in finding that soon after I have a new pair of varifocals the close up adjustment needed changes again!  And at over £400 a pair (varifocals with high optical density lenses to avoid needing coke bottle tops for distant vision) I cannot go too often. 
Hypermetropia is just as much fun. I make do with three pairs of glasses - strong, very stong and ouch.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Online Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 10:16:05 am »
Thanks for the replies guys

I managed to replace the springs in the two that had lost them

My method was to use an Optivisor with a x10 lens fitted

Pick up the spring with the tip of a pointed magnetised scalpel blade and inset it onto the long pip on the movable knuckle and hold it in place with tip of finger on hand that was holding the knuckle then using the tip of the scalpel blade move the other end of the spring in place on the other recessed pip

Place a strong magnet on the work top to catch the first 5 springs dropped before I perfected the technique  ;)

Hope this helps others

PS don't be tempted to use strong Neodymium magnets to uncouple them as they are strong enough to pull the springs out of the coupling,

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything