!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)  (Read 2803 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2018, 11:56:55 pm »
Thanks Amsie.

Even though it feels like more than enough space to do anything I have found that using Scarm is a real benefit.

I decided to have 20 storage loops with the smallest one 6 foot long. This did not fit by a long way! I redid the plan with 16 loops and got it to fit in the available space.

Today I wired up to more track sections and ran a test train. I came across 2 issues. The first was that one of my conducting rail joiners had slid under the rail which caused a wagion to derail.

I also found an uneven piece of trackwork which caused my TEA tanks to come uncoupled. I also managed to break a wire when I fixed these issues.

Anyway by being slow and methodical I hope to get excellent running once this beast is complete, it's easier to fix things now rather than after ballast and scenery have been added.

Regards,

John P

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2018, 05:25:30 am »
Nice work John just jealous of the space you have.

I shall follow this thread with respect.
Geoff

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 12:21:08 am »
Just got back from 2 weeks in sunny Manchester, our third grandchild was born on March 9th!

Managed to get some train time and was able to ride the Parliamentary service from Reddish South to Stalybridge.

We also acquired a ‘real’ camera courtesy of our banks credit card points scheme, so hopefully picture quality will improve.

This weekend I finished wiring up the points and track at the north end of Wigan NW. There are a couple of rough spots to file down (excess solder).

I also received 2 Zimo Next18 chips for my 68’s.

Next task is to wire the south side of NW before wiring up Wallgate.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2018, 02:40:18 am »
I decided to get serious about my track laying. This means making sure my Megafrets run well even when unloaded. So far they can be pulled and propelled on my Up main line without any issues. But I do need to get a loop of track done so that I can run them a little faster.

Here’s some pics

CL56 with Megafrets

Full size plans for loop and fiddle yards

More to follow as I should have plenty of time over the Easter weekend.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2018, 04:50:31 am »
I got a new baseboard built today. This one is 8ft x 1ft, amd it may need a little more bracing of the legs.

I also laid out some of my plans on top of my last piece of XPS. I spent a good hour getting my maths hopelessly wrong, until I realised that if each sheet of my plan is 2' wide then sheet number 5 starts 8' from the left hand wall of the shed, not 10'!

Next week should be a quiet work week so I'll be getting more timber and building more baseboards.

Regards,

John P

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2018, 07:20:12 am »
At risk of highlighting something rather too late - have you considered a ‘parallelogram’ shaped fiddle yard, having the exit at the opposite side to the entrance, rather than a ‘diamond’ with a through route and diverging sidings? Your outer most roads are obviously pretty short, a parallelogram does reduce your longest siding length, but means they’re all very similar length.

Looking great though, no mean feat to get Megafrets to run smoothly unloaded, they’re just so light!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:14:20 pm by njee20 »

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2018, 05:31:33 pm »
Plans are made to be changed.

I have thought about a parallelogram fiddle yard(s). I'm undecided as I want to minimize the number of turnouts on my main running lines, so I may stick to my 'trapezoid' scheme.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2018, 01:03:14 am »
Managed a bit more time in the shed this weekend.

Finished off the first new baseboard and levelled it out to the old ones.

Put my plans back and cut them to a better size.

This is where the old baseboard meets the new one, my plan is slightly out of kilter, but that is easily fixed.

Then its down the new baseboard to where it curves away to what will be the fiddle yards.

The crossovers are to allow trains that terminate in the yards to change direction on the main.

I'm going to try to get all the baseboards done for this side of the layout before I lay much more track.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 11:38:55 pm »
So today, I decided to price up my 18 road fiddle yard.

9 pounds per point, 11 per Tortoise motor. I printed a parts list from Scarm and luckily I over estimated the number of points needed. For example Scarm said 25 Small Radius LH points but actually I 'only' need 17! Even so I will need 42 points and motors which is 840 quid!!!, not counting any additional track. I do have around 8 short radius points on hand plus plenty of track from my previous layout but still that's going to hurt!

I suspect my fiddle yard will be completed in stages, with the running lines plus perhaps 4 sidings as this will minimise my initial outlay.

Regards,

John P

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 11:56:38 pm »
 840 quid!!!, not counting any additional track.

:sweat:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:14 am »
Even so I will need 42 points and motors which is 840 quid!!!, not counting any additional track.

Might be worth looking into a Nelevator ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAPD5bakW5o

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2018, 09:50:41 am »
Makes the classic single track GWR terminus to fiddle yard seem inviting!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
So far I’ve got away with using and reusing points and track from my previous layout. I had unused points for a proposed extension and plenty of Tortoise motors.

I have around a dozen small radius points from my previous layout’s storage yard. But after that its going to get expensive.

At least the other scenic section, which doesn’t exist yet, will have less points, even if I do go ahead with a compressed 6 track line based around Springs Branch!

I think I’ll have to review insurance on the shed contents before much longer.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 12:25:31 am »
Got done early with work today, I should have watered the new trees we planted over the weekend but it is far too windy.

So off to the train shed to get some baseboard construction done.

I have built a new 8'x2' section and needed to add the baseboard top and then line it up, as it is at an angle to its adjacent board.

For the baseboard surface I used 1" XPS again, for those of you outside the US, this is used for wall insulation, I can get an 8' x 4' 1 inch thick sheet for around $20.

This is what it looks like in the shop (albeit already snapped in two)

The real thing is twice as wide.

The same piece mounted upside down on the frame.

The start of the storage yards laid out on the new board

I then cut up a piece of XPS to join up the embankment out of Wigan NW to the new base boards. I cut out a section so that my Woodland Scenics risers would fit snugly.

And finally put the plans back on top

I then spent an hour salvaging (finding) my old fiddle yard track and points so that they can be re-used.

I need to get some 2" wide balsa to finish off my embankment. I can then cover it with plaster bandage and get started on some serious track laying.

I'll be super-elevating the tracks around the curve, and I need to put together a bridge kit for where the main line crosses over the old L&YR to Southport/Kirkby.

The BIG question remains, can I build a layout faster than either Rapido or Revolution can dispatch parcels? I have a City of Brum on order direct from Revolution as well as my original order from Rapido.

Regards,

John P

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 07:32:59 am »
Whichever gets there first it’ll look great with trains sweeping around those curves!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything