!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Uncoupling rapido couplings  (Read 581 times)

Offline bob lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Uncoupling rapido couplings
« on: October 26, 2017, 12:04:48 am »
I have been looking for ages for methods of uncoupling rapido couplings and have not seen this particular one. I have seen one on YouTube using an electromagnet under the baseboard but I canít fit one on my layout, a 3 box file, more on that later, so please forgive me and let me know if this method has been done before.
This method uses very small neodymium magnets, surprise surprise!
I first superglued a 2mm dia X 2mm thick magnet to the underside of a rapido coupling and glued a 3mm dia X 0.5mm thick magnet to a piece of plastic card, making sure the magnets opposed each other, glueing another 0.5mm magnet on top proved to be beneficial by increasing the power, the card was placed under a spare piece of track with the magnet between the sleepers.
For this trial I just moved the wagons by hand and was pleased that it did seem to work. Like other examples using magnets, the wagons stayed coupled when moved quite quickly. I now have to prove it in practice, and if successful will glue the magnets straight onto the baseboard, in a relevant position. Having not yet ballasted this will be straight forward, even if ballasted the magnets are so small a little bit of digging out shouldnít be to difficult.

I have been taken by the inglenook shunting puzzles and, wanting more scope, decided to extend the layout to 3 box files where I could still, using the basic rules of inglenook, do some shunting but having more sidings and to include a weigh bill system? Havenít done any planning yet but thatís the theory, hence the need to be able to uncouple, and at the moment am quite excited with the trials, just hope it works in practice, let you know later.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Uncoupling rapido couplings
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 12:46:33 am »
YouTube using an electromagnet under the baseboard but I canít fit one on my layout,
let me know if this method has been done before.
This method uses very small neodymium magnets, surprise surprise!

I have been taken by the inglenook shunting puzzles and, wanting more scope,

Nice one Bob*! Not been done before at my place but I did obtain some N50neos 2mm x 1mm back in '15 with the intention ! but I chickened out when I realised my eyesight and dexterity were not up to snuff !
So since then on my inglenook I have been using 10mm x 1mm N50 on sticks in slits under the track with the more usual iron wire method on the Elsies

*Well done GungaDin :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:48:24 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:26:46 am »
How did you go about making sure they all point in the right direction ? a Reference magnet on your worktop ?

Very interesting :)

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 06:24:52 am »
I did something similar for uncoupling Fleischmann Profi couplers, and an article was published in Model Rail in 2009. The downfall eventually after several years was that the small 1mm x 1mm neodymium magnet on the coupler corroded away to nothing. This may have been because I secured them in the coupler with a dot of varnish and there was a reaction between the chrome(?) coating of the magnet and the varnish.

A reference magnet was created which I still use today. I floated a bar magnet on a post it note in a small bowl of water and noted which pole pointed North. Fortunately I knew which direction North was!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:26:11 am by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:09:50 am »
Instead of a piece of plasticard under the track, would it still work if you drilled a 3mm hole in the correct place in the baseboard and have the plasticard under the baseboard to prevent the magnet(s) from dropping out? :hmmm:

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:42:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies. The initial tests was carried out on 2 Peco wagon kits as I didnít want to stick magnets onto my Farish wagons  at this stage. However, once I was happy that the Peco wagons performed well I went ahead and stuck magnets onto a couple of Farish wagons but these did not perform well at all, I think it was due to the Farish couplings being better constructed and fitting together better, they are also sprung which I am sure also had an effect.
So it was out to my local excellent model railway shop, Peters Spares in Middlesbrough to buy some more Peco kits, 2 tank and 1 cattle truck.
Once painted, magnets were fitted and they worked well in every combination. If anything the magnets were a tad too strong, the wagons uncoupled even when moved quite quickly, this may improve in a live situation when there will be a rake of wagons.
The way I check on which way round to stick the magnets is if they are attracted to the magnet between the sleepers then thatís the end I stick to the coupling, the other end repels. So the next stage is try it out on my layout. If satisfactory then I think I will have a dedicated set of Peco wagons just for my box files layout.

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 08:49:55 pm »
I use this system on my layout but I use electro magnets under the track and the magnets I use are from Guys magnets that have a hole through the middle making fitting to the coupling easy as it just slips over the little spike on the bottom and a tiny drop of glue holds it in place. Here's a link to the magnets I use

https://www.guysmagnets.com/neodymium-magnets-c11/4-mm-x-1-mm-x-1-mm-neodymium-ring-p376

I cant get this to work with farish couplings though it may work if I could shorten the springs.

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 11:44:11 pm »
As I have said I also am having little success with Farish couplings but I do with Peco kit built couplings. I intend to use this method of uncoupling on my 3 boxfile shunting layout so canít use an electromagnet, but as the track is layed on 9mm MDF I will drill a 3mm hole, 3mm deep into the MDF between sleepers and sink the magnet into this. I can always add another on top if need be.
Thanks for the suggestion John but I think Iíll stick with the ones I have.
Just an aside, any suggestions as to where I can purchase some kit built wagon transfers please?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:52:29 pm by Bob Lawrence »

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 02:08:49 am »
also am having little success with Farish couplings but I do with Peco kit built couplings.
Yes, me too, given up on Farish for my Inglenooking, Peco rules :) !
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:28:35 am by MalcolmAL »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything