!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bexhill West to Crowhurst via Sidley  (Read 1989 times)

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
Bexhill West to Crowhurst via Sidley
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:56:47 am »
A Group of members of the Bexhill MRC are getting together to model in N Gauge the now closed branch line that ran between West Bexhill and Crowhurst in East Sussex

This 4½ mile branch line started construction in 1898 and opened in 1902, a major feature was the 17 arch viaduct needed to cross the marshes that lay between Crowhurst and Sidley.

By connecting with the London to Hastings main line at Crowhurst a more direct (Northern) route to London from Bexhill was established competing with the earlier (1846) line that ran East/West from Hastings to Brighton then via Lewes northwards to London.
Sadly the line failed to attract sufficient passenger numbers and closed to traffic in 1964 after only 62 years.

An excellent booklet by Peter A. Harding ( ISBN 09523 45862 ) The Bexhill West Branch Line 1st Edition, gives a full and detailed account.

The layout is going to be built on a baseboard of14 feet * 6 Feet (4.2m * 1.8m) track will be ‘folded’ around a back scene so that end to end the total ‘run’ is approx 28 feet (8m).
All trains will be Push/Pull or DMU, so no need to turn them around.
Two platforms at the Crowhurst end will accommodate 4 trains of which two will run under computer control at any one time hence the post: could determine how to do it.

As the prime locos on this line were H Class thisTopic: could determine what to run.

Track will be Kato and a SCARM track plan will follow shortly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:02:56 am by colpatben, Reason: Added a route picture »
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bexhill West to Crowhurst via Sidley
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:06:34 am »
Hi,

Sounds like a great project. Obviously it's going to take a while but very much looking forward to your plans and build.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline nick_bastable

• 2mm Association Number: 3935
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:41:03 pm »
A etched brass H was produced in 2mm, I have one in the gloat box,  although originally a 2mm association limited run the etch designer was selling these direct a couple of years ago however I do not think the Dapol chassis could be hacked to fit

Nick

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:34:47 pm »
First plan for the layout in SCARM, when/if I get to grips with handling the terrain I hope that I will be able to improve the look.

The period to be depicted will be early 1940s as there was a large army contingent in the town of Bexhill. The layout will show the army camp located on an area called The Down that is close to the Bexhill West station.

There will be a limited choice of rolling stock being the H-Class Push/Pull, some livestock wagons with ‘borrowed’ terrier, and a troop train or two.

I suppose in some modellers’ minds more of a diorama with a railway running through than a model railway with scenery.
My Layout Link
Colin

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »
I'm sure you're eagerly anticipating the Farish C Class

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 06:30:30 am »
We have settled on this track plan.

The main difference is that the layout can no longer be able to be viewed from the rear as it will sit in a corner enclosing the left and rear, therefore can only be viewed from the front and R/H side; the two sided scenes will not be practical and has been removed. The viaduct has been extended to encompass the curves on the left hand side.

The other change is that for operational reasons it will not be DCC or computer controlled. The decision has been taken to run it analogue with automated shuttle operation controlled with the Heathcote range of products, chiefly SA7 and SA8 block control boards and IRDOT detectors.

The base board has been organised and will commence manufacture in the next few days.
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:58 pm »
Bexhill West to Crowhurst via Sidley 04.

The baseboard was considered too deep at 6ft (1800mm) to be comfortably worked on so we have reduced it to 5ft (1500mm).

Operationally it has also been decided that the East/West route depicting LB&SCR on the R/H side of the layout running parallel to the sea front should be integrated into the rest of the layout with a curve beneath Bexhill Central Station. Apply large helping of Rule 1.

Probably now more rightly to be called Bexhill West to Collington Halt via Sidley.  :hmmm:

Also the 17 arch viaduct can be more faithfully recreated running at an angle in the back L/H corner.

We have also sourced two unused M7s.

The 3D 'Flats' are an idea for my own layout backscene.
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 06:21:08 pm »
From previous post: “The baseboard was considered too deep at 6ft (1800mm) to be comfortably worked on so we have reduced it to 5ft (1500mm)”.

Famous last words, the layout has now reverted to 1800 mm deep, and why you may ask  ???

Because it has morphed into a Roundy Roundy  :hmmm:

Probably now more rightly could be called Bexhill West to Bexhill West via everywhere.

AND it is suggested we return to DCC.

Methinks the saga is not yet over.

For a start watching an H Class  (M7) and two coaches trundling over 30 odd feet of track may be a bit boring but who am I to disagree.
My Layout Link
Colin

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:47 pm »

For a start watching an H Class  (M7) and two coaches trundling over 30 odd feet of track may be a bit boring but who am I to disagree.

Eh? ???
Feet up. Glass of favourite tipple in hand. What more could a railway modeller need? :)

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 10:43:00 am »
The layout frame is completed and the 40mm foam topping has been delivered.

The intrepid construction team is ready to move on to the next phase which will be to cut the foam and lay the printed track plan onto the top (135 A4 printed sheets)

There is still the thorny problem as to whether the ‘Y’ junction is going to actually work.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24931.msg490542#msg490542
(Comments on that may be posted under the linked Topic)
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:04:20 pm »
That looks a very well engineered wooden construction, what line of work were you guys involved in? Judging by the design and how well those gussets look one of you could have worked in aerospace !

That has to be the best piece of joinery I have seen on this forum, hats off to you all. :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:05:16 pm »
That sure is one BIG baseboard! Looks to be well constructed though.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 10:47:29 pm »
That sure is one BIG baseboard! Looks to be well constructed though.  :thumbsup:

Its gonna be one big branch line too! :)  If the quality of the base frame is anything to go by then I look forward to the finished layout. ;)

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 06:54:00 am »
That looks a very well engineered wooden construction, what line of work were you guys involved in? Judging by the design and how well those gussets look one of you could have worked in aerospace !

That has to be the best piece of joinery I have seen on this forum, hats off to you all. :thumbsup:

Yes, one of these guys has in the past been a supplier of baseboards, but regrettably is no longer building them even to order.
This link is another of his pieces built for a club project.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30929.msg352177#msg352177

One hell of a baseboard, one hell of a project, but that is what I believe belonging to a well established and progressive MRC is all about.

As this is 6ft wide then the expectation is that the Branch along the centre axis will be installed with the baseboard canted over as shown in the two preceding pictures.

The complete assembly is on castors to allow all around access for it to be worked on as it will ultimately reside in the far corner of the room.

My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »
We have made a decision to test and initially run this layout using some Hornby products. The prime reason is that we have obtained a Hornby Elite DCC controller, a licensed copy of their RailMasterTM software and a PC.

I appreciate that only minimum automation is possible with this software i.e. all programmed running operation of trains via the PC are time based and there is no way to have Block Detection so as to be able to pinpoint a train on the layout. I know also that any time based operation is subject to ‘Drift’ caused by a poorly running locomotives that do not repeat a given distance travelled within a given time.
However I do think that with the RailMasterTM diagrams as a front end and other simple operations it presents the opportunity to show newcomers and DCC converts what is possible.

At a later date we could add Block Detection for which we are making provision during the construction stage. Then we may switch to a more powerful software package.

For Loop Reversing we have selected the Hornby R8238 Reverse Loop Modules (RLM).

For Kato Turnout Control we have selected the DCC Concepts ADS-8SX fitted with their SDC 3 wire to 2 wire adaptors.

The only item not selected is the track overload/short circuit protection and I am currently leaning toward using 3 simple filament lamps one for each of the three layout sections. UP line, Down line, and Sidley to Bexhill West spur.

A topic regarding this is Here.

Next up will be a wiring diagram.
My Layout Link
Colin

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%