!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Correct wheel sizes, from older pizza cutters to appropriate replacements?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Most Mk2s ran on B4 or B5 bogies didn't they? In which case should be 6.2mm not 7mm.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
For privately owned freight stock the standard wheelsize from the late 1960s to the late 1980s was 37.5 inches (953mm). This applied to prototype private owner freight stock with pedestal suspension, leaf spring suspensions and 3 piece (Gloucester/ESC/ etc.)/axle motion/Schlieren/GPS bogies. The standard wheel has a new diameter of 953mm (6.44mm) and a half worn diameter of 915mm (6.18mm). International/continental Y25 and LHB-type bogies typically have new wheels which are 920mm (6.2mm) and half worn 895mm (6.05mm). Bob Davies' 6.2mm suits both these in either half worn from 953mm or new 920mm condition. But I am fairly sure that model manufacturers have compromised on wheel diameter especially so the deeper flanges do not contact underframes.

This post has been corrected to describe the half worn diameters of the wheels, which I had wrongly described in the original post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:57:12 am by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Blimey! I never thought my simple question about what the wheel size meant wasn't quite so simple after all!

Thanks for the very informative replies.

Cheers,

Chris
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits.

Online koyli55002

• N Gauge Society Number: 5508
    • Awards
Looks like the initial enquiry "steamrollered" a bit ?????

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
I have made a couple of corrections to the meaning of the figures in post #16 above. I had described the half worn diameter as the fully worn diameter.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything