!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 4961 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2018, 01:38:04 pm »
There will be a ferry, but based on the ones that went to Tiree (MV LochEarn, MV LochMor), as will the harbour be based on the Pier in Gott Bay on Tiree.

Your ferries were after my time as MV Loch Dunvegan and MV Loch Fyne were introduced in 1991.  I travelled on the MV Lochalsh and MV Kyleakin which were only a year old when I first used them (1971).

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2018, 02:09:29 pm »
and finally today I've found a picture on the An Iodhlann (Tiree museum) web site of the Tiree railway, the horse must have had a day off..

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:31:56 pm by The Q »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 02:21:48 pm »
Your ferries were after my time as MV Loch Dunvegan and MV Loch Fyne were introduced in 1991.  I travelled on the MV Lochalsh and MV Kyleakin which were only a year old when I first used them (1971).
I was thinking of the Kyle ferries back in  the sixties, but of course, they weren't anywhere near Tiree.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 04:36:30 pm »
I meant to take a camera to the MRC but for got, so all I can do is report this week's work.

A path was created to the house using ballast while I was at it I filled a few holes left by the removal of the many two colour signals.

I Then spent some time using freestone scene setters window sheets.to glaze the house, this was with some difficulty as it was built with the roof still there behind the Dormer windows.
After that a scalescenes stone paper was glued to a viaduct pier I'll inspect it next week when it's dried, it looks a little light at the moment so may need a dark wash.

A pack of Peedie models  fencing etches was inspected, Instructions read, I need some superglue. Another possible job for next week, fencing the house in.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2018, 10:11:10 pm »
A couple of pictures of board 1

In the first. Picture you can see in the background the house, with the unfinished ruins of the black house to the right. Also showing the stone circle.

The second picture shows the stone circle more clearly,  also at the bottom you can see where I've been " concreting" at the end of the sidings I just need some buffers to finish that

I spent most of this week's attendance of the Ben the Border Collie Appreciation Society,  cutting up scalescenes stone sheets and applying them to the viaduct piers. I'm not too impressed with my workmanship, but next week when they've dried and with a little more work they may come out ok.

I had hoped to do some work on the post and rail fencing but ran out of time...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:22:27 pm by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 07:12:30 am »
Not to much to report this week, the viaduct piers had their scalescenes paper trimmed to fit. Then I tried a dark wash, the first lost the stone print entirely, and had to be repapered.
The second helped, but the paint wash sat on top of the paper in bubbles. Eventually I found  dipping the brush in neat paint spread immediately with water worked best.
It may be a second wash is needed when the paper has dried.

So the piers are now roughly in place, drying, I'll have to clear the junk in the way, and then observe what it looks like in situ,. Currently I'm not sure if I like how it has come out .
I've always been a plasticard user in the past  and may go back to it

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2018, 12:59:18 pm »
After a flurry of emails Friday nights MRC went ahead, the roads had been cleared, alhough for me it meant driving though some two way roads reduced to single track by snow drifts. As we left the club later there was heavy snow falling but things had already started to melt...

Even though I'm not entirely happy with the viaduct piers I decided to fix them in situ.  So first I had to take a hammer and chisel to the layout to remove the old scenery around the piers. The old version had a girder bridge centre section which I thought unnecessary and had uneven pier spacing. The new version has equal spacing, which at 4.5 inches is more than enough for a road or river to pass...

As I had time left I found a most suitable red / brown  paint in my kit to paint the rails on Board one, a great improvement...

Whether much work will be done next week I don't know, as next Saturday the Broadland Model railway Club, N Gauge  layout " OMA Park" is at the Norfolk Railway Society's Poringland Show, ( just south of Norwich), details here... http://www.norfolkrailwaysociety.org.uk/ and it may be transported there in my Landrover..

Having fixed the viaduct supports, I can  now complete Board 1, as the viaduct spans the join.

Todo, Board One.
Make bridge to Stone circle,
Complete Highland black house ruins,
Fit Buffers to sidings,
Plant electrostatically, reeds along the ditches (it hides the board joins)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:53:19 am by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2018, 07:07:36 am »
Last night's work went well, the old landscape had a 5 ft long brick wall support for the hill side, this is not needed with the new landscape so it was stripped from its old backing panel. I will reuse  much of it as part of a new over bridge that is needed.

More landscaping round the viaduct piers was done. I'm finding the viaduct deck very fragile. Some of the old glue joints are failing and some of the hand rails are breaking, next week I'll inspect it with a view to reinforcement.

The roof for the black house was modified for a better fit, and then a first layer of thatching stuck on, I'll go for another trial fit, before more thatching.

In the last few weeks Harry's widow has handed me a pile of new boxed  PECO points and a tube of flexible railway track.for which I am grateful, they were with the layout when they bought it. Much of this will be used in the new fiddle yard when I get to constructing that.

We had another prospective member attend, we now have almost double the membership of our lowest point since I've been a member.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2018, 02:54:38 pm »
On inspection of the viaduct bridge deck, it was found to be two single decks and except for the join between the two,  most of it had never been glued together. So I stripped the whole thing into constituent parts.
 Then it was reassembled, but with the two decks reversed so the intact girders are on the outside. The broken  girders, now on the inside  have had plasticard reinforcement, this and the rest of the main parts of the decks have been glued. This Friday I hope to glue the two single track decks back together and then look at ballasting. Before painting the deck to give it 60+ years of life.

The thatching has been difficult, the fibre I have used is a bit stiff and hasn't bent where I need it, some triming may be necessary before covering with something thinner and more bendable.

Further thoughts have gone on about the main station, I have now a plan of Kyle Buildings But need to bring it into work to scan it, so I can read the tiny numbers.... I'm also thinking a vague copy of the access bridge to Kyle may be needed, to give a logical access road to Scarinish Station. So I have a rough Idea of the new road plan. The New Scarinish road bridge should I think be able to hide one of the board joins. This road would lead to board 2 and pass under the viaduct so I need to sort that plan soon.

One I've had a measure of the current layout at those points, I'll have to draw up a plan for you to peruse.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2018, 09:32:01 pm »
Well, I scanned in Kyle station building and in N it works out as about 1ft 8 Inches long by 1 and 3/4 inches wide. It just fits.

The new thatching material has the look i want,  but very fiddly to lay,. Had more stuck on my fingers than on the roof, I'm going to try using an electrostatic gun next week. But the flattening it before it sets.

I'm still unhappy with the viaduct piers, another wash of grey lost most of the stone paper detail. I now have some stone plasticard and will try that on one pier next week.

The deck is now fitted and some painting done, I've now studied some viaduct decks, this type is not ballasted, but the rails / chairs are bolted to the deck. Some thin plasticard will be glued between the rails on the sleepers to imitate this.

touching up the mountains on the backscene, by adding more purple, brown and green. Has made them look a lot better.

I've started converting the article on the layout, which is in PDF format into Word. The article  layout was stuffed by the conversion, so that needs sorting.  Once done I'll split it into relevant sized chunks, and then update it with my comments. Then I'll inflict that on you..

I also need to inflict on you more pictures..

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:48 pm »

I also need to inflict on you more pictures..

Quite right. You do :photospleasesign:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2018, 10:06:43 pm »
 :photospleasesign:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2018, 07:51:41 pm »
I had intended, to take photographs but little work was done on the layout, I bought an 8 drawer  plastic unit, to take the stuff  lying on top and below the layout as it was getting in the way.  There is still some sorting to do, but it's made it easier to work on the layout. I did a little plastic stone effect work to the viaduct piers but not a lot.

I went to the Norwich model railway show today , I got second hand , a Langley models BR class 4 built working but not quite finished, 1 carriage, half a dozen boxed mint wagons all at well under half new price.

It was noticeable though that  both new and second hand prices had increased a lot over the last year.

There were a several N gauge layouts  nothing spectacular but nothing bad either.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »
Hi The Q,

Have given 'thank yous' and keep meaning to reply but haven't so a personal Thank You for your lovely project. Like others, looking forward to the pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »
Still no pics because I forgot to take the gadget with me.
This week's entire work was to clad the viaduct piers, that's done, I just need to find some filler for the odd join. Then it will be painting time.

Some etched brass fencing arrived, all they had in stock, but it's not quite enough. This will be the hand rails for the viaduct, as the old ones apart from being broken were an  unrealistic scale 2 foot high.
So hopefully I'll install the handrails on one deck next week before painting.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here