!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 4167 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »
Doing some more research I've just found this article on the Tiree ferries a most interesting read.
http://meekwrite.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/transport-to-and-from-tiree.html

Some of the later ferries I've been on!!

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 10:26:00 am »
Ok so my research indicates the orginal Scarinish Pier was built in 1771.
 By the late 1800s Ferries were too big to get into Scarinish Harbour, passengers and cargo were being rowed from ferries offshore into the harbour.
In 1911 a new pier was started in Gott Bay, and completed in 1914. This is the main part of the pier in use today.

Ferries,  in 1963  MV Lochearn (Built 1930) was still in use, which is lucky because at 162ft, she was much shorter than her replacements (built 1964) which at 235ft were considerably bigger (and are the boats I remember).
144mm is a consderable saving in size  on a model railway layout!!

To unload cars from MV Lochearn  they were craned over the side by the vessel...
Here is a video of a sister Ship MV Lochmor
https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/4603?search_term=lochmor&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Another connection for me... the sailing boat I sail in the winter was once sailed at..... Loch Earn sailing club...

Oh the big military effort of WW2 didn't use the pier much but used landing craft onto the beaches.  Landing craft are ******awfull in a rough sea. Im glad I wasn't in them..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:29:45 pm by The Q »

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 05:59:01 pm »
I believe Tiree has the distinction of being the sunniest, wettest and windiest place in Britain!
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.
And then at our very own Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition, Redcar College, Corporation Road, Redcar 4/5 August 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:09 am »
I believe Tiree has the distinction of being the sunniest, wettest and windiest place in Britain!
Cheers
Kirky

Obviously stated by a sassanach on Holiday from mainland Scotland.

Tiree has the record for sunshine in Scotland 329 hours in a year
But Eastbourne in England Has the British record at 384 hours.
 I can't find any other peak information for Tiree..

Tiree has a comparitively high average windspeed 15 to 18mph, Similar to the outer Hebridies, So when the rain arrives with a squall, it arrives horizontally!!!

Rain is measured in lots of different way but the only record in Scotland is the 30 minute record of 80MM at Eskdalemuir in Dumfries and Galloway

The Wind Record is held by the Cairn Gorms at 173mph. However I know that RAF Saxa Vord in the Shetlands recorded 177mph just as the Radar aerial blew off and landed on the grass.  The Anenometer went at the same time, which is why it's not an official record..

I was on Benbecula in the mid 1980's when we had a gust of 126mph that caused damage to the Radar Aerial there at the time.. It was interesting driving down the runway in a minibus in the crosswind off the atlantic, which was averaging over 80mph...

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 11:36:57 am »
Cheers
Kirky

Obviously stated by a sassanach on Holiday from mainland Scotland.

Tiree has the record for sunshine in Scotland 329 hours in a year
But Eastbourne in England Has the British record at 384 hours.
 I can't find any other peak information for Tiree..

Tiree has a comparitively high average windspeed 15 to 18mph, Similar to the outer Hebridies, So when the rain arrives with a squall, it arrives horizontally!!!

Rain is measured in lots of different way but the only record in Scotland is the 30 minute record of 80MM at Eskdalemuir in Dumfries and Galloway

The Wind Record is held by the Cairn Gorms at 173mph. However I know that RAF Saxa Vord in the Shetlands recorded 177mph just as the Radar aerial blew off and landed on the grass.  The Anenometer went at the same time, which is why it's not an official record..

I was on Benbecula in the mid 1980's when we had a gust of 126mph that caused damage to the Radar Aerial there at the time.. It was interesting driving down the runway in a minibus in the crosswind off the atlantic, which was averaging over 80mph...

Fortunately they have their weather stations built by the company I work for now, recorded over 130 mph the other week, and our weather stations haven't blown away, yet!  The rats/mice/general wildlife do like gnawing at the cables tho  :veryangry: had to make up new cables for them a couple of weeks ago  ::)
Didn't know they had Q at Benbecula  ;)

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 01:06:33 pm »
Ok, it was a throw away remark not based on any scientific data, merely heresay. However, I do believe Tiree is a very sunny, wet and windy place. Certainly windy, its a very popular windsurfing location.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.
And then at our very own Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition, Redcar College, Corporation Road, Redcar 4/5 August 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 03:22:24 pm »
It certainly is popular with windsurfers

I found this picture while looking at pictures of Tiree
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:28:45 pm by The Q »

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 03:39:33 pm »
It certainly is popular with windsurfers

Iíve clearly had the wrong idea about the source of said wind for quite some time :worried:

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2017, 10:55:13 pm »
Ok, it was a throw away remark not based on any scientific data, merely heresay. However, I do believe Tiree is a very sunny, wet and windy place. Certainly windy, its a very popular windsurfing location.

cheers
Kirky
I wasn't trying to criticize in any way, my working hours are as a calibration technician, when i measure 1 volt, I'm measuring 1 /10 of a millionth of a volt, everything I do I have to do as accurate as I can. This tends to spill over into everything I do or say (type).

For instance with this inherited railway layout, even though there never was a railway on the island other than this layout, I'm trying to build all the modifications I'd do as near as possible to how Tiree looks, hence all the research into the island, the people and the ferries.

And the research brings up..
Nollaig Chridheil ( merry Christmas in Scots Gaelic)

Offline Lawrence

• N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2017, 06:23:33 pm »

cheers
Kirky
I wasn't trying to criticize in any way, my working hours are as a calibration technician, when i measure 1 volt, I'm measuring 1 /10 of a millionth of a volt, everything I do I have to do as accurate as I can. This tends to spill over into everything I do or say (type).

For instance with this inherited railway layout, even though there never was a railway on the island other than this layout, I'm trying to build all the modifications I'd do as near as possible to how Tiree looks, hence all the research into the island, the people and the ferries.

And the research brings up..
Nollaig Chridheil ( merry Christmas in Scots Gaelic)

As a fellow techie, can I just say, when it comes to your model railway, Rule 1 applies  ;)  I appreciate you are trying to capture the islands and a perfect 'what if' scenario, and this is where rule 1 comes in, you can never make anything 100% perfect (except your cals of course) so do what you feel is right, and it will be  :D

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2017, 10:31:57 pm »
Just  few more pictures of progress

I've got the shade of blue right for the sky, it just needs lightening up, hopefully I'll do that next week.  Along with some adjustments to the removable sections.

Left to do on the first section,
Lighten sky,
I need to order fencing and window etches .
Repair the track,
Install a half relief Highland black house, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhouse.
Oh and I fancy a small footbridge across to the centre " island" to break up the vision of the track doing its 180., I think it needs a cheap looking ( in real terms not model terms) metal bridge

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:50:30 pm by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2018, 07:12:07 pm »
Doing more research I've found Tiree actually had a railway. It was built with the 1913 pier, and ran down the middle of the pier . It was used to carry the freight.
Courtesy of the islands museum, An Iodhlann. Who have a surprisingly good web site.
Here is a picture of the motive power in 1930.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:56 am »
Further reseach and More Help from "An Lodhlann", has revealed that the layout has been in the N gauge magazine, for those who have kept them, it's issue 6/05 page 32  onwards.

Derek Clarke winning the Peco cup with Tiree, Best Layout Class K, from the N.G.S. 27 May 2006.

Note electronically there were major changes between then and when Harry received the layout.

I'm just checking I can post the article on here, once permissions have been received, I'll put it on with added comments on the various stages of development.

This does mean by the time I get finished, there will be a very long article for the N gauge magazine, As I'll have to incorporate more background from Derek Clarkes the original article.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:29:07 am by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 12:28:31 pm »
I've been considering my Inherited Tiree layout, and the orginal builders text says the main station "Scarinish" was freelance. Whereas the branchline station " Upper Balinoe" was based on the West Highland line stations.
 I don't like the main station, as it doesn't look prototypical for anywhere, so I have been deciding what to replace it with, and my decision is... The Kyle of Lochalsh Station, not on the same line, but it has meaning to me as I used to get the train there to go to school in Inverness..

It'll still be labeled Scarinish though...

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 01:16:59 pm »
Will there still be ferries? I used to love the crossing, particularly when they introduced the new ones with the high passenger deck.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations