Dunkirk Film

Started by d-a-n, July 24, 2017, 06:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadsword

I haven't seen the new Dunkirk movie , but hope to see it eventually. The original was quite good
with fine performances from John Mills and Dickie Attenborough though it carried on with the myth
that the RAF wasn't there, also one scene which from a military point of view was ludicrous.

Bealman

Positive...  I'm lending it out to guys at the RSL club for a beer.

They are in a queue for it!

Money still to be made, with a bit of lateral thinking....  :thumbsup:

I do not mean any offense to veterans.

I'm just talking about the video.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

CliveH

The carriage they were in was Mk1 TSO 4945 - built 1961. The eagled eyed anoraks amongst you may have noticed the altered (for continuity) seat numbering, and that the local lad whose death is reported in the Weymouth newspaper being described in the caption under his picture as a native of Ramsgate.

Other than taking a while for the One Week, One Day, One Hour penny to drop with me, I enjoyed the film - 'mistakes' and all!

Cheers

Clive

guest311

I've got the original with John Mills etc, and the BBC one with Benedict Cumberbatch, and I know which is, in my opinion, the better one , the original.

just couldn't enjoy the later one, for some reason.

off topic, but did rewatch the other evening one of the free dvds that were given away with the Mail, some years ago.

'Went the day well?'

thoroughly enjoyed it.

apologies for going off topic.

Phoenix

I don't know enough about trains to have spotted any inaccuracies, but I and all the residents of Weymouth noticed some huge glitches.

Visible even in the trailer,as the guys ran along the tramway (past the back of my mate's B & B ) they run past the Pavilion, which was built in 1960, after the original burnt down in 1943.

Also in the same shot you can clearly see in the background what is affectionately known as the "Weymouth Willy"..... the observation tower built in 2012

https://www.jurassicskyline.com/

A shame as while they were filming round the harbour all modern cars had to be moved, and they were so careful not to include any modern lamp posts shop signs etc.

Still an enjoyable film though  ;)

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

railsquid

I saw this on a flight a couple of months ago, was not impressed, seemed to be a series of vaguely related scenes but with no compelling "story". Almost as if someone had read a book, grabbed a bunch of scenes and turned them into a film. It seemed to be a bit built around some actor as well (young chap called Harry something, not really an actor IIRC?). Apart from the obvious Mk1 blooper, technically the scenic recreations seemed pretty good to me (as a non expert in military things) but overall it failed to captivate, don't feel the urge to watch again.

Funnily enough on the same set of flights I saw the Winston Churchill film ("Darkest Hour"?) which though overdramatized in parts, was quite informative, at an intermediate airport I found the accompanying book which was an interesting read and also provided some useful context about the whole Dunkirk operation utterly missing from the Dunkirk film.

Jerry Howlett

Agree with railsquid, I had looked forward to seeing this film and thought it kind of missed the point.
The Darkest Hour however was and is, worth a watch.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Slightly off topic, I can recommend the paperback 'Dunkirk' by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations