"foreign" model shops.

Started by steve836, November 16, 2014, 11:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve836

Quote from: railsquid on November 18, 2014, 11:38:29 AM
Well if you want a directory format, the wiki is the only viable option. The downside to that is that it's a separate system and seems to lead rather an isolated existence; moreover its content won't turn up in forum searches.

The other alternative would be to add slightly more structure to the existing topic, with maybe per-continent sub-topics and stickies in each containing links to reports of interest.

Anything else will probably require more resources and commitment than is realistically available.

Ok if it can't be done it can't be done. I was merely stating something which I ,and I think others too, would like. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about computers to have any input about how it might be achieved.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

DesertHound

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 11:59:52 AM
Quote from: railsquid on November 18, 2014, 11:38:29 AM
Well if you want a directory format, the wiki is the only viable option. The downside to that is that it's a separate system and seems to lead rather an isolated existence; moreover its content won't turn up in forum searches.

The other alternative would be to add slightly more structure to the existing topic, with maybe per-continent sub-topics and stickies in each containing links to reports of interest.

Anything else will probably require more resources and commitment than is realistically available.

Ok if it can't be done it can't be done. I was merely stating something which I ,and I think others too, would like. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about computers to have any input about how it might be achieved.

Hang in there Steve - it was a great idea. I'm with you in not being a computer genie but we'll work something out, unless there's any specific objections.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

railsquid

Something is certainly doable to improve on the existing situation - just thinking of the most practical, sustainable options. (I've been on both the technical and organisational end of this kind of thing, and the easier-to-implement solutions based on what's available are very often the ones that work best, even if they're not quite ideal).

DesertHound

Quote from: railsquid on November 18, 2014, 12:16:38 PM
Something is certainly doable to improve on the existing situation - just thinking of the most practical, sustainable options. (I've been on both the technical and organisational end of this kind of thing, and the easier-to-implement solutions based on what's available are very often the ones that work best, even if they're not quite ideal).

The wiki option seems fine Railsquid. Can we "create" within wiki such a directory, or does it have to come from the top? I don't really know how to add info to wiki, but then I've never tried. For example, each time a new shop is added in a new country, would it be possible for the person adding it to create that new country. No point having 200+ countries from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, when there aren't any model shops in those countries. Either that or the chance of finding a model shop in them is about as likely as finding an English sign in Japan!  ;)

So that the directory is not cluttered with unnecessary countries, but only has those countries in it that contributors have actually populated with a model shop.

Digging down further, to keep it universal, we could have a set of criteria to be answered, e.g. UK stock (YES/NO), Continental stock (YES/NO), second hand stock (YES/NO) and so on. Perhaps a small section at the end for a couple of lines of free text.

Just my thoughts.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

steve836

If we go the wiki route, which seems do be the way those who know about this sort of thing appear to favour, perhaps we could have a "sticky" in the forum bit with a link to the appropriate page, or is that a non-starter?

railsquid

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 12:55:00 PM
If we go the wiki route, which seems do be the way those who know about this sort of thing appear to favour, perhaps we could have a "sticky" in the forum bit with a link to the appropriate page, or is that a non-starter?
A sticky post in the forum should certainly work, assuming cooperation from the friendly mods :)

railsquid

Quote from: DesertHound on November 18, 2014, 12:40:07 PM

The wiki option seems fine Railsquid. Can we "create" within wiki such a directory, or does it have to come from the top? I don't really know how to add info to wiki, but then I've never tried. For example, each time a new shop is added in a new country, would it be possible for the person adding it to create that new country. No point having 200+ countries from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, when there aren't any model shops in those countries. Either that or the chance of finding a model shop in them is about as likely as finding an English sign in Japan!  ;)

So that the directory is not cluttered with unnecessary countries, but only has those countries in it that contributors have actually populated with a model shop.

Hmm, it's the MediaWiki software, the same one which powers Wikipedia, which I am (or was) somewhat familiar... Basically what it would involve is some kind of wiki markup template, which someone would have to fill in with relevant details; that would at least create links to country pages or country categories or something, which could be filled in by whoever if needed.

The downside is that this would not be an entirely intuitive process; wiki markup is a finicky beast and tricky for anyone not used to matching up nested sets of brackets. And someone would have to keep an eye on it, 'cos inevitably you'll end up with one shop being located in "America", another in the "USA", and another in "The US" or something.

Quote from: DesertHound on November 18, 2014, 12:40:07 PMDigging down further, to keep it universal, we could have a set of criteria to be answered, e.g. UK stock (YES/NO), Continental stock (YES/NO), second hand stock (YES/NO) and so on. Perhaps a small section at the end for a couple of lines of free text.

Again, could be solved with a template. But not very end-user friendly, unless MediaWiki has gained some new functionality I've missed.

Personally I'd stick to a slightly expanded subforum, keeps everything in one place and is easier to contribute to.

DesertHound

Railsquid - sounds like we need one administrator to handle the wiki directory. That way everything gets entered correctly and to a universal format. The issue would be encouraging / making people aware that there is someone to send this info to. A sticky perhaps with a link to the wiki directory and also instructions on who to send your model shop info to. Just a thought.

If it's a sub-forum then don't we have the problem we were discussing earlier of it not being searchable, and people would have to scroll through the forum to find a shop. Also, if it's in forum format could we not end up with thread creep / threads about the shops that have been listed, hence "clutter" etc.

Dan

joe cassidy

Quote from: DesertHound on November 18, 2014, 05:32:40 AM
Quote from: steve836 on November 16, 2014, 11:33:14 AM
Just seen Joe Cassidy's thread re model shops in Capetown, and as I am off to Goa soon and had similar thoughts,IE does anyone know of a good model shop there? it occured to me that it might be good to have a thread (perhaps a sticky) where we could recommend model shops in different towns round the world so any one could look it up before travelling.

Steve

Having been often to India, I'd echo Silly Moo's point about Africa, it's just not a priority for people. Most people there barely have enough food to eat or clothes to wear, let alone a proper home to build a model railway in. (Not meaning that in a condescending way - just what I've observed). My observation is that for there to be a customer base for model railways countries need:

a) a certain level of GDP (or a sizeable number of people with a certain level of disposable income)

b) a general culture of inquisitiveness towards things scientific and a history of scientific achievement

One without the other leads to a very small / non-existent model railway interest.

I'd say if there was anything it would be in Delhi and Mumbai (Bombay). Possibly Chennai (Madras) and Kolkata (Calcutta). Good luck though if you find something and I think you've come up with an excellent idea to have some kind of directory of model shops we find on our travels.

I live in hope when I'm travelling around the world that I'll stumble on a model train shop. After years of hoping, I sometimes think a meteor is more likely to land at my feet.

In a city of perhaps 5 million, Dubai has not one model train shop  :(

Oh, forgot to say, enjoy Goa. Never been there but I'm sure it will be lovely.

Dan

Hi Dan.

I go to India a lot too and I have never come across a model shop in any of the big cities that I visit. I understand that there is one in Pune but I have never been there. There is supposed to be a model railway layout on display at Mysore railway station but whenever I have been there it has been closed.

Best regards,

Joe
P.S. I have managed to vist the Mysore railway museum

steve836

Digging down further, to keep it universal, we could have a set of criteria to be answered, e.g. UK stock (YES/NO), Continental stock (YES/NO), second hand stock (YES/NO) and so on. Perhaps a small section at the end for a couple of lines of free text.

Just my thoughts.

Dan

As a camper I often troll through campsite lists -they tend to have a system of symbols Eg. a picture of a dog = dog friendly, a picture of a shower means showers available etc.
Could something of this nature be used?

steve836

Quote from: joe cassidy on November 18, 2014, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on November 18, 2014, 05:32:40 AM
I go to India a lot too and I have never come across a model shop in any of the big cities that I visit. I understand that there is one in Pune but I have never been there. There is supposed to be a model railway layout on display at Mysore railway station but whenever I have been there it has been closed.

Best regards,

Joe
P.S. I have managed to vist the Mysore railway museum

This is the sort of thing I had in mind. I was hoping to visit Bangalore, Mysore and Ooty this trip (sadly its looking unlikely) and didn't know Mysore had a railway museum---Must pencil it in for next time!

Ps Sorry to do two posts back to back ,but I don't know how to do multiple quotes.

joe cassidy

Don't get too excited Steve - there's not much to see in Mysore railway musuem, but if you're there anyway it's worth a visit, as is Mysore railway station which is a junction station where there's always something going on.

I recommend a visit to the national railway museum in Delhi, even if it is a glorified scrap yard - gives one a chance to see the innards of steam locos at close quarters !

Best regards,

Joe

DesertHound

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 09:57:21 PM

Just my thoughts.

Dan

As a camper I often troll through campsite lists -they tend to have a system of symbols Eg. a picture of a dog = dog friendly, a picture of a shower means showers available etc.
Could something of this nature be used?

You calling me stupid Steve?  ;)  :P

Why can't you make the trip to Ooty? Is it the distance? Too far? Font forget there's very cheap domestic air travel in India. That said, perhaps if you are going to Goa with the wife, she might not appreciate you jetting off two days after arrival!

Dan

steve836

I'm the stupid one :dunce:
The reason we are not doing the trip this year is that my wife's brother is coming out. I only do one flight per year as I have a blood disorder which makes flying dangerous and I have to self inject with heparin so when in India we go about by train and we were unable to get train tickets before he comes and afterwards there won't be time. Still there's always next year!

joe cassidy

I've never been there but I believe that Ooty is a day's journey from Bangalore by car. It's a hill station so it never gets too hot. Apparently they have a narrow gauge railway like in Wales. Don't know if it's steam-driven.

Best regards

Joe

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations