!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (37.1%)
No I wouldn't
74 (44.3%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 265615 times)

cutting42, Buzzard, NinOz, Michael Shillabeer, Pete @ EGLM, Nighthawk, snitchthebudgie, Bob G and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ian Morton

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 02:10:42 pm »
I think that 1000 9-car pendolinos at £250 available through shops would sell like hot cakes and sell out within 6-12 months. I don't think that there is much of a chance of finding 1000 pledges through kickstarter because it won't reach the same audience as being in the shop window and people will be worried about the (real) risk of it not appearing. However, I have registered my interest and would stick the cash out for one.

Perhaps another option is for Hornby/Arnold to produce it after their Belle (if it appears) as, I presume, they have already done a lot of the leg work for their big-scale version.

They wouldn't be in the shops at that price. That is the cost (per set) of getting the tooling and a run of 1000 without any mark-up for retailers, development costs or packaging.

The deal is that after the original run the tooling becomes DJM's property and Dave can run extra sets as and when he wants with a likely retail of £350.

Currently it is a kite-flying exercise to see what sort of interest there is. If it looks like it might garner support then someone will have to run the Kickstarter campaign - having first publicised that it is coming in the various magazines, societies and forums. Kickstarter projects have a very limited time in which to reach their target so the project and closing date will need lots of advance publicity.

If the Kickstarter doesn't reach the target then no-one pays anything (other than any costs the organiser has incurred in their publicity drive). If it does then you have to stump up the £250 (or multiples of £250 if you have pledged for more than one set) and wait.

Dave says that he can produce the models - and has a great incentive to do so.

If you don't want to buy it unseen, can't afford it or don't need it then move on. If, on the other hand, you are willing to buy unseen, can afford it and do want it then speak up.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 02:28:06 pm »
Is it worth opining that I wouldn't buy a Pendolino, but would buy other AC (or DC) electrics? Surely a 9-coach Pendolino demands a very big layout, and alas, I don't have one. But novel AC or DC locomotives -- oh, how I'd love a Woodhead* electric of some sort -- can be fun impulse purchases for those who simply like collecting a variety of interesting trains.

My point is that people are saying we have to vote for a Pendolino if we want AC electrics down the line. If I was to vote for the Pendolino, then I'd be telling DJM I'd buy something I know I wouldn't.

Cheers, NeMo

*Yes, I know there used to be MSL kits for them. But not sold anymore, and they don't seem like good kits for beginners!

Re: a 76, I'd agree, probably a "Rule 1" purchase for a reasonable number of people I'd guess.

Re: voting for or against the Pendolino, I totally agree with Nemo, however I also think it needs to be made VERY clear. It is not DJM you would be telling and misleading. He will simply be a supplier if demand is there and "Kickstarter" project manages to become fully subscribed. It would instead be some poor s*d (possibly even a member of this Forum) who will, based on misleading information put a lot of time and graft into a "Kickstarter" project that will not as a consequence reach the required level of pledges when firm commitments are asked for.

So to be fair to that person (if anyone actually takes it on) my take is that this is about the Pendolino *NOT* AC electrics in general. If you want a Pendolino say "yes" if you do not want a Pendolino say "no".

If you want to garner support for another AC electric start a new poll.

Roy

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 02:30:15 pm »
Apparently both the 4-CEP and Desiro have not sold as well as Bachmann had hoped in N gauge.
So perhaps the more/most constructive thing to do is for everyone go out and buy the Farish Desiro and/or the 4CEP, or for that matter the Dapol 86. In other words: put your money where your mouth is, right now instead of ticking a box on a web page.

If the two manufacturers see people buying electrics, and in volume, then they'll presumably be more enthusiastic about making more of them.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 02:48:08 pm »
Considering the popularity of my SWT Class 450 vinyls, I'm surprised that the 350 has not been a massive hit.

Perhaps it's the choice of RTR electric traction available, rather than electric traction per se that is the problem. Both the 350 and unrefurbished CEP are quite limited in their geographical scopes or timeframes.

Would, say a 4-CIG or 319 Thameslink have been more popular sellers? Certainly the livery choices would be greater.

I still think there is a bright future for overhead electrics and will continue to support them with new products.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Zakalwe

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 10:04:17 pm »
I'd take a pendolino set for sure, it would be interesting to see if enough interest can be gathered, what percentage of n gauge modellers (modern image) would get to know about it.... you'd have to aggressively market it.... and then put their monel where their collective mouth is and back it.

I've done a couple of mountain bike related kickstarter funds before and it's fascinating watching a product come together, starting with concept to test examples to the final product.   Even better is to see it then start to sell in great numbers knowing you were part of getting it into the shops and seeing someone using one on the trails
“I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk.”

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 10:29:12 pm »
Indeed in cycling circles it's a very common way to fund a project, never seen ken for £250k I'll admit.

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 10:32:12 pm »
So perhaps the more/most constructive thing to do is for everyone go out and buy the Farish Desiro and/or the 4CEP, or for that matter the Dapol 86. In other words: put your money where your mouth is, right now instead of ticking a box on a web page.

Cheers, NeMo

Hi NeMo,

Good point!   

Personally I'm trying my best....I've bought about four or five 86s, two or three 87s, half a dozen 90s, Two 350s, a CJM 92 and a kit of an AM4.  Oh, and a Lima 85(?). I'd better finish the damn OHLE layout so I can actually run some!!!

I've got four 73s too - don't know if they count, they're sort of electric.   Surely I deserve a Pendo for Christmas.... and while you're at (Santa) a 323.   :angel:

BTW, following your nuclear layout build  with great interest....!

Cheers   Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 12:58:09 pm »
The Lima one is an 86 (ish)

Its N Gauge did did a class 85 shortly before its proprietor was banged up so there aren't many around.

The pendolino has been done in 3D print, but David seems not have gotten around to reworking it as part of his Modern Image Models business.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 01:12:31 pm »
He posted on the forum which must not be named to say that he was fairly unlikely to do so as well.

A bit of a shame that he did something which was a great effort, but having progressed with MIM is (perhaps understandably) rather unwilling to release something which is merely a 'great effort'.

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 02:52:27 pm »
and a kit of an AM4.

Hi

Whos kit is it? I have a set of etched sides for one but nothing for the cabs.

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:53:28 pm by PaulCheffus »

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 03:24:54 pm »
and a kit of an AM4.
Whos kit is it? I have a set of etched sides for one but nothing for the cabs.
Cheers
Paul

It was by "Amsies Models" as I recall.  My kit is the opposite of yours - it's just a pair of ends (in resin) and vinyls to apply to Mk1 coaches.  I don't think he does them any more.   The ends would be a useful 3D print if anyone was motivated to do one!

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 03:25:26 pm »
Hello folks

To keep you up to date - here is a duplicate of a post from Ben A on t'other place.

I would strongly urge anyone interested in an N gauge Pendolino to consider expressing their interest either on the poll here or on RMweb: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89072-n-gauge-pendolino-project/

Cheers, Mike

"Hello all,

I think it's looking likely that Mike Hale and I are going to give this a try. If nothing comes of it then no one loses anything after all, though it would confirm that there really is a lack of drive/interest/commitment to modern OHLE models in British N.

A couple of provisos:

1) it won't happen until we've seen something (OO or N) produced by DJM.
2) it'll be produced in a factory with a proven track record in N.
3) the tooling won't be used by any other party for a reasonable period after first production.
4) the individual vehicle produced will never be available again - at least not from this tooling.

More details about safeguards, spec, timescales, milestones and production details will be given nearer the time.

We'll also need some time to start getting a publicity plan organised so I anticipate this going live in autumn. Please keep a lookout and tell other enthusiasts/collectors/club members to keep an eye out here, elsewhere and in the press.

We have some ideas to incentivise people to sing up - loyalty bonuses, milestones etc - and there'll be a lot more information about what exactly is on offer nearer the time.  One example: a vote so those who support the model decide democratically the identity of the actual unit depicted.

The internet has created lots of new possibilities for groups of like-minded enthusiasts, and this is a real chance to do something different, and to get a model of one of the most iconic trains of this generation that is unlikely to be produced by the mainstream manufacturers.

Of course, if Hornby announce one in the meantime then the Kickstarter project can be abandoned with no cash taken but given the time it's taken to get the Brighton Belle to market (over 18 months so far) and the likely cost, I think a 9-car Pendolino for £250 is going to be hard to beat...

Cheers

Ben A."

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 04:34:34 pm »
Splendid, chaps, splendid :thumbsup:

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 05:34:10 pm »

It was by "Amsies Models" as I recall.  My kit is the opposite of yours - it's just a pair of ends (in resin) and vinyls to apply to Mk1 coaches.  I don't think he does them any more.   The ends would be a useful 3D print if anyone was motivated to do one!

Cheers  Jon  :)

Hi

I thought it might have been. I tried to get a pair when he was selling them without success.

Cheers

Paul

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2014, 08:08:31 pm »
everyone go out and buy the Farish Desiro and/or the 4CEP, or for that matter the Dapol 86.
Er - no.   :thumbsdown:

Perhaps you mean "everyone who is interested in sparkies" ... but that is not what you wrote ...

Mike

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything