!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (37.8%)
No I wouldn't
71 (43.3%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 236797 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:44 am »
Thanks for creating the poll on here - please don't vote in the NGF's poll and RMweb's poll as we don't want to falsify the results (tempting though it is!).

Cheers, Mike

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:29:38 am »
I have not made a fuss, I have mentioned that comments made to me from third parties indicate they do not frequent RMweb. It's a perfectly valid point that a large chunk of audience and potential buyers may be missed out by not including other forums in the research process which may or may not affect the outcome. A better way would have been to put a poll on an independent site and link to it from RMweb, NGF, Model Rail Forum, and any other discussion site with a sizeable N gauge contingent :)

Now can we please stop the inter-forum stirring and get back to the topic of an N Gauge Pendolino?

Paul
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:33:04 am by Sprintex »

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:35:22 am »
Perhaps the poll on here should be amended with a third choice, "Have you already voted in another poll" or similar to make people stop and think before voting.   ;)

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:40:46 am »
Perhaps the poll on here should be amended with a third choice, "Have you already voted in another poll" or similar to make people stop and think before voting.   ;)

Good suggestion Caz. Third option added.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:48:09 am »
As with most things in life, we all have our own opinions for various reasons, which also includes forums by the look of it.  :)

It is best for all of us to cease the NGF/RMweb comparisons and stay on the subject of this thread.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 12:04:53 pm »
Is it worth opining that I wouldn't buy a Pendolino, but would buy other AC (or DC) electrics? Surely a 9-coach Pendolino demands a very big layout, and alas, I don't have one. But novel AC or DC locomotives -- oh, how I'd love a Woodhead* electric of some sort -- can be fun impulse purchases for those who simply like collecting a variety of interesting trains.

My point is that people are saying we have to vote for a Pendolino if we want AC electrics down the line. If I was to vote for the Pendolino, then I'd be telling DJM I'd buy something I know I wouldn't.

Cheers, NeMo

*Yes, I know there used to be MSL kits for them. But not sold anymore, and they don't seem like good kits for beginners!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:15:00 pm by NeMo, Reason: TYPO: "not vote" should be "to vote" »

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 12:10:56 pm »

My point is that people are saying we have to vote for a Pendolino if we want AC electrics down the line. If I was not vote for the Pendolino, then I'd be telling DJM I'd buy something I know I wouldn't.

Cheers, NeMo

*Yes, I know there used to be MSL kits for them. But not sold anymore, and they don't seem like good kits for beginners!

NeMo. The poll is purely about the Pendolino. Just say "no" if you do not want one. The Pendolino poll on RMWeb came out of a discussion about Farish electric traction but should be viewed as standalone on here.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: What is the bickering about this Rm Forum
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 12:30:57 pm »
I couldn't possibly afford a £250 Pendolino anyway, but I don't understand why David Jones hasn't put a post on a forum which is dedicated to N Gauge if he is bringing out a NEW model in N Gauge,I also don't know anything about the animosity between this other Forum Rm or whatever it's called and our Forum,I must admit I left my local club because the Subs went up quite a lot and the club was mainly interested in modelling American Railroads but I still talk to the club members and have even invited the round to my shed whenever they want to.Perhaps someone can tell me what the problem between the two forums is ,In my honest opinion LIFE is to short to keep on bickering about silly things.

Hi

Its quite straight forward the discussion was started on RMWeb and so naturally the poll and everything else is on there. You don't want to be splitting the poll over several forums and diluting the results. So I'll repeat what others have said if you want one go and vote on RMWeb.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Brooksy

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 12:34:14 pm »
I think that 1000 9-car pendolinos at £250 available through shops would sell like hot cakes and sell out within 6-12 months. I don't think that there is much of a chance of finding 1000 pledges through kickstarter because it won't reach the same audience as being in the shop window and people will be worried about the (real) risk of it not appearing. However, I have registered my interest and would stick the cash out for one.

Perhaps another option is for Hornby/Arnold to produce it after their Belle (if it appears) as, I presume, they have already done a lot of the leg work for their big-scale version.

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 12:38:16 pm »
oh, how I'd love a Woodhead* electric of some sort -- can be fun impulse purchases for those who simply like collecting a variety of interesting trains.

Hi

What you need is the Masterclass Models kit as it was a one piece resin casting but unfortunately they arnt available anymore either.

Cheers

Paul

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 12:51:51 pm »
NeMo. The poll is purely about the Pendolino. Just say "no" if you do not want one. The Pendolino poll on RMWeb came out of a discussion about Farish electric traction but should be viewed as standalone on here.

Indeed. But over on the DJM thread elsewhere on this forum, the following statement has been made:

If you want one, vote yes. If you don't need one but it could be shoehorned into your era/layout, vote yes. If you desperately want to see AC Electric traction grow in N, vote yes. But swallow your "pride" and do it on RMWeb, because if you don't, you certainly ARE cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Anyone care to justify this for me? Why, if I vote no to a Pendolino, which I don't want, am I voting against further AC locomotives, which I would like to buy.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:19 pm »
Perhaps another option is for Hornby/Arnold to produce it after their Belle (if it appears) as, I presume, they have already done a lot of the leg work for their big-scale version.

That is one possibility, sadly you may be overestimating the amount of effort saved. While they will have all the dimensions from the 00 model, that is only a starting point. You cannot simply shrink the CADs as you need to take into account a lot of factors such as material thickness, space for motors and items such as couplings which are scale-specific. Also, the largest part of the R&D costs is the tooling which would of course have to be new.

So while a Hornby/Arnold Pendolino would be welcome, the existing 00 model does not give as much of a headstart as it might appear at first glance.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ScottyStitch

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 12:59:09 pm »

Indeed. But over on the DJM thread elsewhere on this forum, the following statement has been made:

If you want one, vote yes. If you don't need one but it could be shoehorned into your era/layout, vote yes. If you desperately want to see AC Electric traction grow in N, vote yes. But swallow your "pride" and do it on RMWeb, because if you don't, you certainly ARE cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Anyone care to justify this for me? Why, if I vote no to a Pendolino, which I don't want, am I voting against further AC locomotives, which I would like to buy.

Cheers, NeMo

The key word is desperately. If you think it would be just nice to have AC electrics, then vote no. If you desperately want and need an upsurge in AC electric trains, vote yes. Otherwise, the chance won't come along again anytime soon, I'd suggest.

You can bet Farish and Dapol will be looking at this RMWeb Poll and thread. If they see a demand for the Pendelino, they might just be interested in producing other AC electrics themselves. At the moment, from what I can see, they are reluctant to, based on the 86 experience.

Ditto third rail EMUs, based on the southern unit reportedly not selling as well as they'd hoped.

That's the way I'd look at it. But it's everyone's choice.

Offline SD35

• N Gauge Society Number: 12663
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 01:01:31 pm »

Cheers, NeMo

I was just thinking the same.  Despite a lack of interest in the 390 I'd happily buy half a dozen 85s and half a dozen 87s or 90s made to the same standard as the Dapol 86 to compliment my fleet of those.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 01:08:50 pm »
You can bet Farish and Dapol will be looking at this RMWeb Poll and thread. If they see a demand for the Pendelino, they might just be interested in producing other AC electrics themselves. At the moment, from what I can see, they are reluctant to, based on the 86 experience.

Ditto third rail EMUs, based on the southern unit reportedly not selling as well as they'd hoped.

Apparently both the 4-CEP and Desiro have not sold as well as Bachmann had hoped in N gauge. Obviously a Pendolino would provide the obvious express to accompany the Desiros. It may have been on another thread that someone commented that the large, iconic express trains are the ones that tend to capture the imagination and inspire layouts built around them. N gauge is well suited to this as we can model full-length trains in a quarter the area required in 00.

Nice as the Desiro is, it is only a part of the picture.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here