!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New coupler development (was Coupling survey)  (Read 24852 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
New coupler development (was Coupling survey)
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:48:48 am »
Hi everyone, I seem to have got a bit deeper into N gauge couplings than I expected, and now thinking about starting a small business specifically for this area. But first it would be very helpful to know a bit more about what N gauge modellers actually want from a coupling system.  So I have designed a short online survey, and Tank has very kindly given me permission to put the link up here. There are only 10 questions, it is completely anonymous and the more responses I get, the better.  Link is:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7TYY9B8

I'd also be grateful for any comments, either on the survey itself or on the whole issue of replacement coupling systems for British N gauge.

Many thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:53:45 am by belstone »

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Re: Coupling survey
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:22:30 am »
Good survey that !  :thumbsup:

Nice to see sensible questions that don't look like they were written by a lawyer !

I'm guessing that you have something in mind similar to the mt couplings but maybe with NEM compatibility ?
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:40 am »
Yes, a good survey. Sensible and relevant questions.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:52:48 am »
Boxes ticked and numbers listed.  :thumbsup:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:08:04 am »
I think the other piece of info you might need is how many/what proportion of coupler you might change...

I run a current day layout, so largely, I am running block trains and EMUs.  I wish to remotely uncouple/couple locomotives but the rake itself I leave permanently coupled. 

I would like a cheap, unobtrusive way of coupling the rake, without the need to uncouple (whilst on the layout) but with a better remote coupling solution at either end.

Hope that explains it.  I have toyed with the idea of mini trains couplers to the extent of buying a couple, assembling them to add to a loco but they are difficult to set up and (the ones I had at least) did not have the NRM pocket fitting and I bottled it.

Was thinking about the Dapol version unless something better comes along...

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:13:40 am »
Ten responses already and the survey has only been up an hour.  Thank you everyone, keep them coming.  The survey is limited to 100 responses (any more and I would have to pay) but that should be enough to give me some information to work with.

NEM clip-in compatibility for MT couplings? I wish.  The main problem is that the NEM box is designed to allow vertical movement but not all of them permit horizontal movement.  For delayed-action knuckle couplings to work properly you need exactly the opposite. The NEM box is too shallow to take an MT split-shank coupler and adapter as a 'clip-in' fit, and just to make matters worse the design of boxes seems to vary even within the same manufacturer. Whichever committee (and I'm sure it was a committee) came up with the NEM box should be dragged through the streets by their ears.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:25:30 am »
Survey done, the only questions that I think that are missing are, what couplers have you experimented with and what are you currently using.

For instance, I've tried auto uncoupling with Rapido, Microtrains, MBM, B&B and Dapol Easi Shunt.  The MBM and B&B were good providing you fitted them one way round, that is a latch one end and the loop the other as having the complete mechanism on both ends of wagon made coupling and uncoupling difficult.  This is what stopped me using the likes of MBM & B&B as my layout is out and back so wagons get turned around so need ended up with mismatched ends.

Now gone back to Dapol Easi Shunts and very pleased with how they work and ease of fitting, uncoupling is 100% although the remote uncoupling in not as reliable as the MBM & B&B's and tends to recouple when pushed back especially over points.

Just my two pence worth.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:47 am »
All done.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Dave Searle

• 2mm Association Number: 1189
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:58 am »
I also run post-privatisation stock with a large number in fixed rakes using Dapol Buckeyes where possible.  But there are also a large number of vehicles which need shunting either individually or in short rakes.  Currently these are planned to be DG fitted, using permanent small disc magnets for uncoupling.

I need closer coupling replacements for the older sprung Rapidos on some fixed-rake stock and an unobtrusive and reliable hands-off coupler for shunting.  If uncoupling is magnetic - then the the magnets also need to be unobtrusive.

Cheers,

Dave

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 09:21:41 am »
Survey done, the only questions that I think that are missing are, what couplers have you experimented with and what are you currently using.

For instance, I've tried auto uncoupling with Rapido, Microtrains, MBM, B&B and Dapol Easi Shunt. 

Thanks for that. I've been through much the same process. Out of interest, what put you off using the Microtrains couplers?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 09:23:55 am »
All done; excellent survey. (I teach marketing research.) An uncoupling system that meets all the requirements listed would definitely be popular as uncoupling is the one area of railway modelling that is not easy to do remotely. However, there are many competing systems on the market which shows that a) there IS a market b) there is no overwhelmingly popular solution! So, there may well be a market opportunity for you. I do hope so.

Offline ozzie Bill.

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 09:29:09 am »
well done, good survey, well researched. Thanks for the opportunity. Bill.

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 09:36:34 am »
Survey completed.

Will watch with interest.

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 10:07:55 am »
This 'ten thumbed bodger' has completed the survey :D

Offline Dave95979

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 10:22:41 am »
do i use nem pockets    ummmm i have pockets in my trousers    i will have to look up nem pockets i think  :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here