!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish, Bachmann controller.  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Plainline.

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Graham Farish, Bachmann controller.
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »
Silly question I know but can anyone tell me if it's ok to use a standard Graham Farish, Bachmann controller to run and try out a Union Mills loco? I am new to model railway electrics and read warning about half wave controllers being used on U/M loco's. Have not got a proper controller yet (for DC) am thinking of Gaugemaster.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish, Bachmann controller.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:24:45 pm »
Silly question I know but can anyone tell me if it's ok to use a standard Graham Farish, Bachmann controller to run and try out a Union Mills loco? I am new to model railway electrics and read warning about half wave controllers being used on U/M loco's. Have not got a proper controller yet (for DC) am thinking of Gaugemaster.

The Bachmann controller is designed for N and OO and doesn't do anything particularly special - it's just fine.

Half-wave really relates to the half-wave mode on some of the ancient H&M controllers from the 1970s/80s. Most modern N gauge shouldn't be run with those controllers in half wave mode, or with a feedback controller unless specially designed for the job.

Generic cheap controllers won't be doing feedback.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:38:12 pm »
Thank you Alan for your advice. Am using track and controller from a Grafar set for testing/running until I get my layout built. I have been offered a second hand Gaugemaster "D" controller for a low price and am thinking of popping in there shop to have it checked out. I've been told these are good controllers.

Regards Alan.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »
offered a second hand Gaugemaster "D" controller for a low price and am thinking of popping in there shop to have it checked out. I've been told these are good controllers.

Plain boring, no special features but very solid and reliable. The DF (red front) has feedback so should be avoided for N, the D is just fine.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:01:32 pm »
Gaugemaster controllers also carry a lifetime guarantee :thumbsup:

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:58:29 am »
I use the Farish Bachmann controller from the Atlantic Coast set together with the oval of track to run in all my locos prior to chipping and putting on the layout, works just fine.

Offline prosserm

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 12:53:54 pm »
[Gaugemaster controllers also carry a lifetime guarantee :thumbsup:]

Be aware that a 'lifetime guarantee' doesn't mean it's guaranteed for 'your' lifetime. It means it's guaranteed for the design life of the product, and that could be less than you think. They don't tell you the design life so fifteen years later when you try and get it fixed for free you'll find it had a ten year life.

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Conveyor of Gibberish
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 02:44:57 pm »
Its worth noting that not all Gaugemaster controllers are suitable for N gauge electronics, some put out up to 17vdc which will fry a lot of the newer motors if run at 100% power... the Model W and Model D put out a smooth 12vdc

Offline prosserm

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 07:01:10 pm »
Thanks for that advice. I am looking for a dual controller and will be sure to look at the specifications.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here