!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scalescene models  (Read 40117 times)

Offline Jo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27582
    • Awards
Re: Scalescene models
« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2018, 12:59:18 pm »
After skimming the thread I don't think anyone had this idea so here goes.

When making hollow structures that need structural support such as a platform I've found that it's much easier to make the structure itself if you cut the platform first on heavy card (making sure that it fits), then cut the exact shape on 200gsm card and trim back a few millimeters for the station overhang, then glue all the structure onto the 200gsm card base following the shape and adding supports as is needed.

I have used this several times so far in my layout and it really does help, specially if your platform has a non-rectangular shape.

And here'so an image showing the result.

Offline castrovalva

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2018, 02:37:28 am »
My first Scalescenes model: the free coal office.  I'm impressed by the level of detail attainable in such a small model

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:49:05 am by castrovalva »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2018, 03:31:17 am »
You've made a top job of it, too!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline littlegs

• N Gauge Society Number: 24229
  • 2mm Association Number: 4053
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2018, 04:09:40 pm »
With regards of the weight/thickness of card stock in N gauge
1mm greyboard = thick card
Cereal packet = medium thick card
Photo grade printer paper = thin card
Ordinary printer paper = print only
I normally print onto self adhesive A4 sheets and stick these to the various thicknesses of cardstock as needed especially the thicker types.
But some printers will cope with cereal card so you can possibly print directly onto this and obviously the thinner photo paper also, but you will have to decide which pages to print if going down this route, otherwise you will waste ink by letting the printer do its own thing by printing everything
Regards Chris

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:11 am »
I use 200 GSM as recomended for the medium card as I found cereal packets a little too thick.
In addition I can buy it here !.  Until recently it was only 220 GSM available, and strangely it does make a difference.

For the 1mm greyboard I have to get it when I am in the UK as it is silly money here (when available).
IF YOU DO USE CEREAL PACKETS, rub the shiny side with some fine sandpaper to make a rough surface to aid glueing.
For the price of greyboard 2:49 delivered for 10 A4 sheets if you can afford it (and I know some of us can't) it is worth going with this as a fractions of mm do make a difference when "wrapping" around windows, corners etc.
I also like the new windows that are available, the downside is waiting the delivery from Australia.  Might be quicker for our Aussie members!
I have built dozens of different kits and about 60 terraced houses todays effort is converting the Large station into a wide single storey "WR" style building.

Jerry

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything