!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tempsford - a BR Eastern Region Mainline Country Station  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Bob(K)

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tempsford - a BR Eastern Region Mainline Country Station
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2018, 07:19:36 am »
I have now made a start on the tunnel area, on the otherside of Tempsford station.  I have built the tunnel itself from polystyrene blocks and I am using the traditional card lattice frame to form slopes.  The first part of his frame looks like this:

The shell which goes on this frame is made from news paper soaked in pva glue.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2018, 10:17:31 pm »
I have now dded the shell layer, made from newspaper and pva glue. It is beginning to come together:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 12:10:51 am »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:

I've always been a fan of the card and paper method of scenery construction. It's old fashioned, but it's cheap!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 08:07:16 am »
And slapped a coat of paint over the area. I will need to deal with the strip of card protruding above the rest on the right, but otherwise it is coming on:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:57 am »
Yeah, you've got to do something with that. Two options come to mind - smooth it all out with plaster, or simply cover the area in thick ground cover and bushes.

The straight edge along the top of the embankment worries me a bit - I have a section like that on my own layout which I've never really been happy with.

Having said all that, I'm sure that it's going to look great with full scenic treatment!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 09:01:41 am »
Yes, coming along really well.
I think the flat bit isnít too much of a worry as long as the backscene gives it a sense of purpose. The addition of bushes and trees will help.
Is the whole thing going to be covered with static grass or scatter?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2018, 05:06:13 pm »
Already it's looking much better. However, straight lines are very unusual in nature. I would disguise the straight line by glueing a hedge along the edge and add bushes to the slope.

The strip of card could become a lane or track leading up to the meadow on the flat area. The top part would need to be removed or, my preference, disguised by building up the area around it.

I use sandless tile grout instead of plaster but would use that to smooth it any areas which needed filling plus blurring any straight edges.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 08:47:09 am »
Thanks for the comments, which confirm my doubts about this area of the layout. I have already begun to remodel the forward slope, although I am not too concerned about the straight edge further back as this will be where a road runs up the slope and the sharper slope will form an embankment. I plan to put some buildings in this area, hence the flat space too. It is interesting that until paint is applied it is hard to see the faults and blemishes.

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 09:44:36 am »
It is interesting that until paint is applied it is hard to see the faults and blemishes.

The camera can be your harshest critic as well, Bob, so it always pays to take a pic of things and then study it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here