!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 21521 times)

fergy1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #525 on: April 12, 2018, 10:16:28 pm »
I assumed you were either going to bury it for future generations to discover, or the layout is turning into The Christmas Pudding Railway   :D  :D

:laughabovepost: :thankyousign:

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #526 on: April 12, 2018, 10:25:49 pm »
:hellosign: You are making excellent progress John & thanks for sharing, the most important words to remember are the Fun & Enjoyment of your Railway
      regards Derek.

Very many thanks for this, Derek.  I agree completely with you.  A model railway (more a train set in my case) ought to be a delightful hobby.  If it encourages one to try new things, so much the better.  The scenic dimension will, hopefully, encourage me to have fun and enjoy myself learning new skills and techniques.  The Forum is wonderful in this regard as it has so many inspirational teachers.

Thanks again and kindest regards.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #527 on: April 13, 2018, 08:26:19 pm »
Could be the Piggy Bank Puffer? :-[
When it's finished remember to put someone over the coin with a metal detector to remember where you've hidden it. :hmmm:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #528 on: April 18, 2018, 10:02:15 pm »
A Signal and More Ballast

You last saw this little bit of the Table-Top Railway with a threepenny bit and a S&DJR '2P' 4-4-0.  Here it is with another '2P', LMS this time.

Train Waiting's slapdash ballasting work has chosen the 'vee' for the goods yard lead as its next victim for a coat of Kato ballast and the Up platform starting signal is in place.  It's nice to see that it has a track circuit.  With the yard exit ahead of this signal, an advanced starting signal will be required.

The 'ten foot' between the Up Main and the yard headshunt is now looking strikingly Sundealay and probably ought to brace itself for the chaos that passes for ballasting hereabouts.  Each additional bit of ballasting is inching the layout towards a conventional modern-day(ish) model railway and away from my 1920s-1950s train set idea.  I suppose that an important decision-point will be regarding the base of the signal.  In my mind it ought to be a properly improper slab base (and black is a good colour), but I already feel that this looks incongruous with the ballasting in place.  If you see another picture which has the base of the signal disguised by ballast then you'll know that I have taken another step away from what I had in mind. :-\ 

Many thanks for looking and all the very best.

John

PS Apologies to any LMR signal enthusiasts regarding signal nomenclature.  'Home No. 2' and 'Starter' are, if I recall correctly, the terms on the LMR for the signals I mentioned.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #529 on: April 18, 2018, 10:17:48 pm »
I think you are doing your ballasting skills a disservice John, it all looks very neat to me.

Graham, dreading the moment when he opens the bag of ballast.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #530 on: April 19, 2018, 01:44:45 am »
 :hellosign: Gotta agree, that ballasting looks excellent
     regards Derek.

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #531 on: April 19, 2018, 09:11:05 am »
Hi John

To be honest, I think you've already passed the point of no return between a train set and a model railway with your decision to add ballast. Kato Unitrack with its ballasted base looks a bit like Hornby Dublo track so it's not incongruous with an HD train set appearance.

Anyway, everything is cool and it is only what you would like to achieve with your railway that counts. Wherever you go with your layout development is interesting to me.

Webbo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:11:07 am by Webbo »

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #532 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:47 am »

To be honest, I think you've already passed the point of no return between a train set and a model railway with your decision to add ballast. Kato Unitrack with its ballasted base looks a bit like Hornby Dublo track so it's not incongruous with an HD train set appearance.

That's what went through my mind too :hmmm:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #533 on: April 19, 2018, 10:45:08 am »
I'll show me age and go back further than that.

To me Kato track reminds me of Triang standard track from the fifties, before they introduced Series 3 (with the shocking sleeper spacing), followed by their Super 4.

The Super 4 had closer spacing, but was huge because of the gap between rail and sleeper base, to accept the firm's clip-in accessories.

So, after this long slaver, I think the bare Kato track fits perfectly with your concept. :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #534 on: April 19, 2018, 04:15:10 pm »
Moving to the loco. What a super engine in crimson - looks splendid.
And.....the ballasting looks fine.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #535 on: April 19, 2018, 10:25:52 pm »
Hi John

Anyway, everything is cool and it is only what you would like to achieve with your railway that counts. Wherever you go with your layout development is interesting to me.

Webbo

Very many thanks for this kind and encouraging post, Webbo.  I think that you might be right about the point of no return having actually been passed.  The H-D or Tri-ang 'Standard' tracks' train set appearance is pretty much lost once the Kato loose ballasting is applied.  And the wide radius of the Kato 'Setrack' #6 turnouts is not sufficiently unrealistic for my purposes.

I am really enjoying the layout and it runs perfectly.  But you are correct; in the execution it has strayed from the concept I had in mind.  I ought to think about this.

Moving to the loco. What a super engine in crimson - looks splendid.
And.....the ballasting looks fine.

Thank you, Martin.  No. 443 looks wonderful in Union Mills' gloss crimson lake (kept this way with a touch of 'Mr Sheen' from time to time!) and runs very well indeed.  She benefits from having the latest Union Mills motor arrangement, which I first saw in the 'Dean Goods'.  This gives, in my view, better running and finer control than the earlier motor arrangement.  A few years ago I would have grumbled about the inaccurate crimson lake livery (the LMS '2P' class was known as 'the wee black yins' on my native G&SWR Section), but nowadays I simply enjoy it.  I find the Union Mills 4-4-0s are all excellent locomotives and wonder if a SR Eastern Section 'D1','E1' or 'L1' (just like Tri-ang!) will appear in due course.  With the 'Derby look' and GWR-inspired valve events, these were super little locomotives.

Thank you for your generous remark about the ballasting.  I attempted to have the ballast in the 'six foot way' level with that of the 'four foot way', whilst the ballast in the 'diverging vee' of the points and the 'ten foot way' is to be at a lower level to preserve something of a 'shoulder' either side of the sleepers.

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful posts which are very encouraging.

With best wishes.

John

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything