layout lighting

Started by kevin141, August 22, 2011, 07:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin141

What you think show layouts should have there own lighting if so what type .I have done Gosunderton with two mini strip lights will post some pictures soon once i get the lighting gantary painted and fitted. :NGF: :Class31: :Carriage: :Carriage:

kevin141
Good dinner

longbridge

I have a 3ft Fluro tube light over each of my two layouts, with white walls it makes for great lighting and perfect for photography.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

I have only seen layouts at exhibitions, the bulk of which have been lit by fluoro/strip lighting.
I have also been on a stand for several days at a work exhibition and can tell you that spotlights are extremely hot. I would not go down that route :thumbsdown:(not least because I am follicly challenged on top :'()

Tank

I have a 4ft fluorescent tube above mine, and I keep banging my head on it!   :'( :thumbsdown:   :smiley-laughing:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2011, 09:42:49 PM
I have a 4ft fluorescent tube above mine, and I keep banging my head on it!   :'( :thumbsdown:   :smiley-laughing:

Not surprised if it's only 4ft high :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Tank

You know what, I honestly said to myself that you'd reply with that!   :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

And it's not four foot high, it's 4ft and three quarters. ::) :smiley-laughing:

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2011, 09:49:55 PM
You know what, I honestly said to myself that you'd reply with that!   :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

And it's not four foot high, it's 4ft and three quarters. ::) :smiley-laughing:

Darn it - now I'm getting predictable ::)

4x2

Has anyone thought of using LED rope lights, but behind a picture frame type of fascia so that the light shines inward ? (maybe foil backed ?)
Just thinking of low cost ways of lighting without 4ft glass tubes - i don't like 'em, too fragile and me very clumsy... :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

EtchedPixels

Daylight flourescent in my case. I did ponder other stuff but the halogens get very hot and there isn't much clearance, and I've yet to find an LED light that looks like daylight and is affordable. I look forward to the day that is no longer true.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

4x2

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 22, 2011, 11:36:40 PM
Daylight flourescent in my case. I did ponder other stuff but the halogens get very hot and there isn't much clearance, and I've yet to find an LED light that looks like daylight and is affordable. I look forward to the day that is no longer true.

I Agree, halogens are not suitable. LED's are improving all the time, i'm thinking of combining various types for the right effect ie: say 60% white + 30% yellow + 10% blueish white (in the background to give a blueish sky effect ???). It's all guess work at the moment, any other ideas would be useful !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations