Keeping one's cool

Started by daveg, April 18, 2015, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Hope most if not all are able to enjoy some of the decent weather we are having here in the UK.

It crossed my mind (the heat helps  :D) that those of us that have their layouts in a shed, attic or conservatory must take some special measures to keep the temperature tolerable and avoid any chance of the dreaded track buckling.

Methods and suggestion for keeping it cool may be handy info. Leaving the fridge door open I don't think quite does the job but it certainly makes getting to the beer quicker! :beers:

OK. I've taken me tablets so going for a lay down now. :wave:

Dave G

Tdm

Outside temperature can hit 50degrees Centrigrade in high Summer here, but never had a problem in my train storeroom as it is totally enclosed except for one small frosted window which I always keep slightly ajar, and as it is on the 7th floor no danger of anyone breaking in, but it is too small to squeeze through anyway. :)

sparky

My special measures to ensure expansion is not a problem in my garage was to ensure some quite large gaps were present at strategic joint locations....ok ok my measuring and then snipping flexi pieces with xuron cutters has resulted in "natural" expansion gaps...thats my story anyway.....

Newportnobby

My conservatory (aka mancave) is fitted with individual venetian blinds to each window/door but I can't prevent heat coming through the plastic roof. The only thing I can do is to open the entrance doors which happen to lead off my bedroom. If I open the windows in the conservatory it just fills up with bugs who appear to be interested in N gauge model railways :doh:
In the winter it has underfloor heating.

Bealman

As you are aware, Dave, my layout goes around the walls of the garage, and of course the temperature here can become quite extreme at both ends of the scale.

Strangely enough, I have never experienced any problems,  but I always operate and work on the layout with the garage door open.

There are some days in summer however, when it is simply unbearable to be out there.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mark100

Quote from: Bealman on April 19, 2015, 12:19:01 AM
As you are aware, Dave, my layout goes around the walls of the garage, and of course the temperature here can become quite extreme at both ends of the scale.

Strangely enough, I have never experienced any problems,  but I always operate and work on the layout with the garage door open.

There are some days in summer however, when it is simply unbearable to be out there.

George
Don't you get big nasty spiders under your baseboards?  :o
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Bealman

Yes indeed. And on top of them! My Poole Flying Scotsman emerged from a tunnel once with a beastie sitting on the front.

They get up on the ceiling too, and not having a cover on the layout, they have a tendency to poo on it.  That is actually the most annoying aspect of the eight legged ones!

Chetcombe

Quote from: Bealman on April 19, 2015, 01:04:32 AM
Yes indeed. And on top of them! My Poole Flying Scotsman emerged from a tunnel once with a beastie sitting on the front.

They get up on the ceiling too, and not having a cover on the layout, they have a tendency to poo on it.  That is actually the most annoying aspect of the eight legged ones!

In my garage in NE Pennsylvania it isn't the arachnids that cause problems. For me it is the local mice and chipmunks :doh: They are perfectly sized to use N gauge tunnel mouths as mouse holes... The poo problem is similar though, particularly in the tunnels :poop:
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Bet that really tests the track cleaning vehicle!  ;D

daveg

Quote from: Bealman on April 19, 2015, 02:56:02 AM
Bet that really tests the track cleaning vehicle!  ;D

With snow poo plough attached?

Dave G

sparky

Make sure the track cleaner vehicle is full of IPA...more commonly known as "instantly paralysing arachnids" liquiid... :sorrysign:

Greybeema

I live in Dublin.  Extreme heat is not really something I need to deal with....

:beers:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

BobB

In Johannesburg we have very dry winter months (just a few) and the warm summer has lots of rain. This means the wood used for the base boards swells when it's hot and shrinks when cold. No trouble with buckled track so far !

Bealman

Quote from: sparky on April 19, 2015, 07:21:54 AM
Make sure the track cleaner vehicle is full of IPA...more commonly known as "instantly paralysing arachnids" liquiid... :sorrysign:
Don't forget it also stands for a certain type of ale that can paralyse humans too  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations