Recommended Railway Books

Started by Drakken, December 22, 2016, 12:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Apologies for no further replies from myself, Broadband went down at home. Personally I really seem to like books on Rolling Stock for some reason. What they are, What they carried. How they where used and operated.

I'm really looking forward to 'Oil on the rails' arriving. I'm more than happy to post up a few photo's but not sure on the copyright which I'll have a look into  :beers:

I've only recently got into N Gauge and Railways in general. Current Stock 21 Coal Wagons, 3 Freight Wagons & 1 Brake Van, Oops and 1 5MT lol. Not much variety so far oops :beers:

Bealman

The idea of the book review section is that if members have read a book, a concise review can be given that will allow members to decide if they wish to pursue the title.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Having been a gricer in the 1960s I tend to favour the books showing steam in its decline so have many books entitled 'Vanishing Points' and 'The last days of steam in (insert county here)'. I also have some 'then and now' books showing how much of our railways have disappeared under car parks, shopping centres etc. OK - they can be a little depressing but have helped me no end in researching what sort of locos/stock can be found where. I would have to say that Eric Treacy is probably my photographer of choice and have many of his books.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Drakken on December 22, 2016, 03:46:14 PM
I loved the Michael Portillo series  :beers:

:confused1:  Why? It was more about the people and industries on the lineside than anything to do with the railway - he'd get on (say) an HST and get off a 153 which was supposed to be the same train and many other things where it just didn't work for me as a railway series.

But then I suppose we all like very different things.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Webbo

Quote from: Bealman on December 23, 2016, 08:45:05 AM
The idea of the book review section is that if members have read a book, a concise review can be given that will allow members to decide if they wish to pursue the title.  :beers:

I frequently read book reviews as a basis of buying a particular book (or not) so having reviews available is a good idea. Writing a review is a fair effort and is best done with that in mind when reading the book or immediately after.

The book that I suggested in an earlier post, Fire and Steam, has at least two comprehensive reviews available on the web:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/oct/06/featuresreviews.guardianreview9

http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/2008/07/fire-and-steam-review-by-jon-shaw/

A case might be made for writing a review of the reviews.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations