Dictionary/language

Started by Dorsetmike, May 26, 2015, 12:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I have my language and location set as Eng-GB  yet if I use GB spellings like colour or initialise the forum flags them as mis spelt; it's not only this forum, it happens on most that I use.

Might it be the forum server is set to Eng-US and thus overrides personal settings?

I double checked my settings on Windoze and Browser and did a restart - no change!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

colpatben

Just tried it on mine with Eng-GB set
Colour OK, Color - highlighted as misspelled.
Initialise, Initialize both shown as correct.
Gray, Grey Both shown as correct.

Does the server check the spelling or your word processor program?

We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Dorsetmike

My word processor is Open Office Writer and spelling is set to Eng-GB.

Text typed is checked but copy/paste text  gets through.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

The language on my laptop is set to Eng-GB but 'colour' is still highlighted as being incorrectly spelt on the forum.
Maybe I should set it to Anglo-Saxon but then the Mods would be at me :worried:

Malc

Just because your laptop/PC language is set to UK English, doesn't mean your browser knows that.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

D1042 Western Princess

I will try it - colour (fine) color (misspelt).
Initialise or initialize? (both OK).
Could it be the dictionary which came with your computer/word processor programme? (by the way "program" is also OK)! :doh:
Strange!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

FeelixTC

What spell check?

I can mis-spell anithyng without any warning??

Dorsetmike

As I stated above Windoze, Firefox (and Thunderbird), and Open Office are all set to Eng GB.

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1; browser is Firefox.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on May 26, 2015, 03:52:16 PM
Just because your laptop/PC language is set to UK English, doesn't mean your browser knows that.

Bah - who was it told me these computer thingies were good ::)

PLD

Quote from: Dorsetmike on May 26, 2015, 07:06:45 PM
As I stated above Windoze, Firefox (and Thunderbird), and Open Office are all set to Eng GB.

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1; browser is Firefox.

If you are typing directly into the Browser window, it is likely to be a third-party add-in to your browser that is doing the spell checking (its not a forum setting - you can type whatever gibberish you want and the database will accept it!!). It is this that you need to check is an 'English' not 'American' dictionary. There are several dozen available for Firefox of variable quality, for some the different languages are separate downloads, for others it is a setting in the plug-in, while others are American only...

Another quirk to check for is it is possible to have multiple dictionaries active as separate plug-ins. If you have such a conflict it may only recognise one, or it may be it only accepts words appearing in Both dictionaries.

In Firefox, click on 'TOOLS' then 'ADD-ONS' for a list of active/installed add ons. (you may need to check under 'Dictionaries' and 'Plug-ins' on the Left hand side) Double click on the name of the Dictionary Plug-in for detailed information. There should be a button to Activate/disable (check that you have an English dictionary activated and any American dictionary present is disabled) and if there are user selectable options there will be another button labelled either 'Options' or 'Settings' Click on this if available. IF multiple languages are available this is where you will be able to select English.

colpatben

Pictorial representation of the process to select the dictionary for Firefox.

PLD said

In Firefox, click on 'TOOLS' then 'ADD-ONS'

Then select 'EXTENSIONS' You should find at least one dictionary here , This is the one I use

Then in any text window (I have shown the text window for reply in this Topic). 'Right Click' and set language to Eng-UK

Hope this helps.

We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP