Protocab - About to produce control for N Gauge locos

Started by AGR-Shed-Enderby, October 17, 2016, 07:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AGR-Shed-Enderby

I visited the Peterborough Model Train Show this weekend (16/10/2016) and attended two 'lectures' about the Protocab System from Acc+Ess Ltd.  Not sure how many of you are familiar with their system but it is coming of age as you read this.  TWO way radio link to the loco powered and controlled from on board system, 4 hours run time from a charge (on 00 scale), programmable inertia and braking, up to 9 locos, no power on track needed at all, can run on DCC layouts and DC without changing anything, on-board charging, radio range 100 feet indoors, impossible to receive interference from any other unit or controller.  No I do not have any connection with them.  I am however really keen to try this system in N gauge.  Take a look here: https://www.protocab.com/welcome
Apparently they are receiving many requests for N gauge and have already produced a design for a circuit board to fit in N gauge tenders.
They are also introducing wireless charging and/or contact charging (probably using buffers) soon and running 2 locos at once.  I urge you all to have a look even if only to find out about a system which will probably be more reliable than DCC can ever be.  It actually puts you in the cab - they have a notion to allow you to be in the cab of a loco on your PC or tablet and actually drive the model from the screen using the cab images of a real loco with your mouse (or finger).  No loco numbers to enter either as once linked to the controller selection button it stays that way - Click the loco selector and drive with a rotary speed control.  Needs no external power at all to operate.
Now the only downside:  It's going to be fiddly to install in N gauge - but no more so than DCC.  It needs to overcome our hobby's traditional slow take-up of new technology (20 years in the case of DCC).
If you visit a show why not make a point of visiting their stand.  They are a UK family venture and will make you very welcome.  You can also join their open member online group at no charge.  Owners of their system have a Closed User Group.

Malc

longbow

This is a good idea for the larger scales but where are they going to put the battery in an N Gauge loco?

Chris Morris

I can see that making this work for N gauge will be challenging. I wish them every success.
Despite all the pushing of dcc in the magazines my analysis of pros and cons of dcc for me don't make a case for going dcc. I am very happily dc and have no plans to change. I also run G scale, again mostly DC track power. I do have 6 battery powered G scale locos and I have to say it is a great way to power/control locos. Slow running is always 100% reliable regardless of track state (extra important in the garden) and radio control means you can watch your train from wherever you want to stand. I look forward to seeing this in action in N gauge.
The only downside to battery power is that the loco doesn't stop if it comes off the track. From experience this can lead to damage occurring.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

AGR-Shed-Enderby

I made that same point to them and the new controller is to have am Emergency Stop button.  I assume the same handset could be used for either the garden or the N Scale saving cost. They are also producing a larger unit which I think was capable of 3 amps, so OK for G scale?

AGR-Shed-Enderby

The battery fits in the tender and is like those used in tiny model helicopters.   The charging circuit is on their circuit board.   This means that the redundant (unused) wheel pick-ups could be used to provide power for recharging.

longbow

Has there been some new development then as the Protocab website currently says this:

"At present Protocab would be difficult to fit into 2mm/ft scale locomotive mainly due to battery size. We recognise there is much demand for battery power + wireless control in smaller scales but we have concluded that 2 and 3mm/ft scales can only be addressed universally when the battery technologies that we know are coming down the line are commercially available."

emjaybee

That's very interesting. I can see the realism benefits.

You'll be able to have realistic lineside fires when the lithium polymer battery takes a turn for the worst and overheats!

Mmmmm, I love the smell of burning plastic in the morning!

:goodbye:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

geoffc

I feel that model railways are lagging behind in embracing new technology, we have some wonderful radio controlled, battery powered toys in the shops. thses vary from quadracopters to swimming fish, yes the latter does exist. I thought the young lad next door had a Goldfish in a tank for a birthday present, in reality it was  battery powered and radio controlled and looked extremely realistic. If a swimming fish can be made which is 50mm long what is stopping N gauge locos from running by battery and radio control.

Geoff

emjaybee

Er, because:

A. You want it to run for more than 5 minutes.

B. You want it to look scale. (No pun intended)

C. You want to still have a motor in it to make it move, and that takes space.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

geoffc

It did all of those things in a length of 50mm, it was so realistic I thought it was a real fish.

Geoff

Ian Bowden

Quote from: AGR-Shed-Enderby on October 17, 2016, 08:45:17 AM
The battery fits in the tender and is like those used in tiny model helicopters.   The charging circuit is on their circuit board.   This means that the redundant (unused) wheel pick-ups could be used to provide power for recharging.

Quite a few locos are tender drive with very little space to fit the DCC chip. I don't think there is space in most locos for a battery, even a watch battery might be difficult.

The best way it can be sucessful in N gauge, which I would like to see, is for manufacturers to include it or at leastr space in the locos for installation. They are still producing new locos without DCC blanks (eg new Farish class 08).

Ian Bowden

Quote from: Only Me on October 17, 2016, 11:03:57 AM
Bit of cello-tape over ithe battery on the top of the old Kettle, no one will notice, just say it's kit built :D

Just tried that it crushed the loco. Perhaps a car battery is a little too big

emjaybee

Now your just being ridiculous!

What you need to do is have a consist of tank wagons, maybe oil, then each one can be a "AA"  rechargeable battery.

Simples!

Of course, the consists you can run will be limited...

:P
Brookline build thread:

Yet_Another

Have I read this right?

You can only address 9 locos with this system, of which only one (soon to be two) can be actually running. And you need a tender-sized space to fit it in?

Not very appealing to anyone with even a modest diesel fleet, like myself
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

AGR-Shed-Enderby

I would like to see us guys help push the company forward by offering positive encouragement.
In answer to the more sensible comments: The new batteries are coming on stream and the circuit board has been lengthened to 25mm whilst halving the width specifically to move towards this solution.  They stated emphatically during  their presentation that N Gauge is their next priority and that now batteries are improving they are hoping to match the running times of their existing 00 system (4 hours constant at 100 mAh).  The company is more likely to move quicker, which they are really keen on doing, if we make positive noises and all join their member area as soon as possible.

Their Youtube videos are excellent and provide full details of the current system and installation.  They are going to bring their 'Concentrator' box into use soon and this will allow many things to happen which are so far only a dream for many of us.  How about running a layout from different locations in the world in real time using live video camera and either speech or bells to communicate between driver and signalman for example?

I would urge anyone with even slight interest to have a look.  Obviously some guys will not even think about it and some layouts won't be suitable BUT their research shows that over 50% of layout owners use the locos in a way which they can provide control for.  Their new handset for example will allow many more locos and the safety cur out system stops instantly should there be any sort of incident.

I remember Zero 1 (Yuck) and DCC being born (Wow) and that climbed a much bigger mountain than Protocab needs to do - the cost is likely to be very similar for example.  DCC can still operate the turnouts etc. etc. but you will be driving the loco directly (No turnout power wiring problems) and with no problems from dirty tracks.

You might assume that I am keen on the idea - be in no doubt - I am!  No wonder I am known as 'Grandad Gadget' by my off-sprungs.

Malc (GG)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations