Bullfrog Snot - Anybody used it ?

Started by 4x2, February 04, 2012, 12:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x2

Bullfrog Snot (great name !) is sold as an alternative to traction tyres.

Has anybody used it ? Is it worth it ? etc etc.....

It does seem expensive, but the best things usually are, but moneys tight at the mo and love to know if it's worth the hype...
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

upnick

Hi Mike,   

I've   seen mixed views on using bullfrog snot for your locos if your running U.S.   most of them apart from the old  motored ones (without  flywheels) will have sufficient weight for traction  without using it.   

I wouldnt personally use it for two reasons N gauge is   finer than  HO/OO   which it's mainly intended for & any application could affect  running of certain locos  .............   &   even  better why  apply it when you can  run a consist of locos  which  look far better   ;) ;) ;D ;D 

As to  the cost of the bullfrog snot just think you could put that towards your next loco/decoder   ;D ;D

4x2

Thanks Nick ! :thumbsup:

I haven't got anything that has traction tyres at the moment, but in the past i've sold loco's on the fact that they couldn't pull themselves - let alone a train ! I see what you mean regarding it's use on N equipment, i was thinking in terms of minitrix stuff really, which is fairly coarse anyway by modern standards.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Alex

Hi,

I've heard of this stuff but not used it. What's to stop it coming off the wheels and sticking to the track and then getting in the woirks of another engine?

Alex :wave:

scotsoft

How about trying heat shrink tubing?

I can't remember who mentioned it here but I read it somewhere on this forum or did I read it somewhere over the rainbow  ???  :evil:  :smiley-laughing:

John.

Alex

Hi John,

That would have been me  :thumbsup:

I can only confirm that it works a treat. I used 8mm heat shrink on 11mm driving wheels. No nead to apply heat that way as its a tight fit.

Alex  :wave:

upnick

Quote from: 4x2 on February 04, 2012, 04:58:11 PM
Thanks Nick ! :thumbsup:

I haven't got anything that has traction tyres at the moment, but in the past i've sold loco's on the fact that they couldn't pull themselves - let alone a train ! I see what you mean regarding it's use on N equipment, i was thinking in terms of minitrix stuff really, which is fairly coarse anyway by modern standards.

Hi  Mike,

Though  nice locos from Minitrix they are courser than  todays standards  especially if your running code 55 track 

Quote from: alex crawford on February 04, 2012, 06:14:15 PM
Hi,

I've heard of this stuff but not used it. What's to stop it coming off the wheels and sticking to the track and then getting in the works of another engine?

Alex :wave:

Hi  Alex  :wave:
Yes my thoughts exactly  the  bullfrog snot  gunging up   mechanisms on  finer  N scale  engines

polo2k

I guess once it cures it should stay put.
If anyone has any copydex or maskol, or impact adhesive, fancy tring it? No idea if it would work but theres got to be some sort of solution (pun intended)
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Sansaw

I've been using the stuff for some time now and find it works well. The only problem is to make sure that, after you've put it on the wheels, you make sure that you've put on the wheels in equal amounts. If you haven't, you may find that  the loco's weight isn't spread equally between the driven wheels. I've taken to placing the loco on a strip of track with a thin piece of tissue paper under each driven wheel in turn. If I can pull the tissue out easily, the wheel isn't doing much good and a little more 'Snot is required!

Hope you find this helpful.

Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations