Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 08:42:44 PM

Also I know of a male who was reprimanded for swearing in front of a female colleague

Bit harsh, especially if he didn't know it was her turn :D

This is just the 'Unhappy Thread' so obviously it hasn't reached the 'Angry' phase yet.
I know. Let's get back to playing trains.

Mito

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 08:45:33 PM
Quote from: Mito on March 24, 2017, 08:41:32 PM
When I was at school many years ago we were taught that swearing showed a lack of vocabulary and intelligence. I still hold with that. There are plenty of ways to express oneself without resorting to expletives, yes I swear but not to replace adjectives or verbs, only to relieve the pain when I hit my thumb with a hammer.

You mean you don't just say "that hurt" and carry on.  :)

"Oh dear, it appears that the hammer has come into contact with my thumb." Believe that and you believe pigs can fly. :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

N-Gauge-US

When I was at school many years ago we were taught that swearing showed a lack of vocabulary and intelligence. I still hold with that. There are plenty of ways to express oneself without resorting to expletives, yes I swear but not to replace adjectives or verbs, only to relieve the pain when I hit my thumb with a hammer.

That was and is a common assumption, but socio-linguistic studies have actually shown the opposite. People who swear more tend to have larger lexicons and make verbal associations more quickly and there have been several studies that have correlated intelligence quotients (IQ tests) with the frequency of profanity used. The idea that people who swear can't come up with a 'better word' is a false one. High-frequency swearers are much better at neutral synonym replacement in testing environments, implying that they can come up with more alternatives to swearing and do so more quickly than those who do not swear,  but elect not to because swearing conveys the full semantic intent.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Sprintex

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on March 24, 2017, 09:01:52 PM
People who swear more tend to have larger lexicons and make verbal associations more quickly and there have been several studies that have correlated intelligence quotients (IQ tests) with the frequency of profanity used.

:censored: right! :D

<--------

Paul

austinbob

Wow N gauge US ... Just let me consult my dictionary and I'll get back to you on that!!

:confused2: :hmmm: :o
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 09:28:59 PM

(I don't know whether I would if I hit my thumb with a hammer as I have never been stupid enough to do it)

:laughabovepost: - get out of that! :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Mito

Quote from: dannyboy on March 24, 2017, 09:31:25 PM

(I don't know whether I would if I hit my thumb with a hammer as I have never been stupid enough to do it)

:laughabovepost: - get out of that! :)

I can only assume that a hammer is an alien object to you. :hmmm:  Assaults on thumbs is one of lifes less pleasurable pastimes but "enjoyed" by many. :'(
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Sprintex

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 09:52:54 PM
Know fully how to use a hammer properly which is why I haven't hit my thumb (does it hurt by any chance?), and very good at DIY (I think my husband might know which end of the screwdriver you use if I pass it to him the right way round) Fitted three kitchens and two bathrooms over the years. Oh and replaced part of the central heating system

And I wouldn't want to break my thumbnail after spending hours painting it.

Class reply :claphappy:

Paul

daffy

Jeez! :o While I was out listening to some great live music it seems someone declared World War Three! :goggleeyes:

I'm  so :censored: unhappy, so :censored: saddened and so :censored: angry about certain posts I've just had the misfortune to read on this thread that I think I'll just accept that some folks don't have an altruistic side.

PS - the word I have self-censored in this post is 'very'. I used the censored emoticon purely to convey just how 'very', without having to type ' very, very, very, very ' three times.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: N-Gauge-US on March 24, 2017, 09:01:52 PM

That was and is a common assumption, but socio-linguistic studies have actually shown the opposite. People who swear more tend to have larger lexicons and make verbal associations more quickly and there have been several studies that have correlated intelligence quotients (IQ tests) with the frequency of profanity used. The idea that people who swear can't come up with a 'better word' is a false one. High-frequency swearers are much better at neutral synonym replacement in testing environments, implying that they can come up with more alternatives to swearing and do so more quickly than those who do not swear,  but elect not to because swearing conveys the full semantic intent.

The only study I was aware of was published in the journal Language Science in December 2015. This was widely reported to state that but was reported incorrectly.

What it did was measure Verbal Fluency. The test measured how many swear words a participant could say within a timeframe and then the participants where asked to recall a list of unrelatred words. What the study showed was that people who know more words also know more swear words. This only measures linguistic intelligence and says nothing about a persons intelligence.

But then I'm just a thick blonde as I don't swear

I take tremendous offense to your insinuation that I was somehow calling you a "thick blonde." To be perfectly honest, you seem bent on battling everyone, as I hardly think mito was saying a hammer must be a foreign object to you because you are a woman, but because you are apparently the only person in the known world to be immune from human error when using a hammer and, somehow, when everyone else does it, it's because they are "stupid" or don't "know fully how to use a hammer properly."

As for the rest of it, linguistic or verbal intelligence is a major component of most IQ tests and most theories of intelligence(s). I'd list other articles, but I feel like you're less interested in learning than in being right, so here you go: you're right; we shouldn't swear on the forum. That's why it's already against the rules. The censor icon isn't swearing. What I think you're asking is that people not use an emoticon that expresses the user's frustration, which is an unreasonable request.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on March 24, 2017, 10:57:04 PM

PS - the word I have self-censored in this post is 'very'. I used the censored emoticon purely to convey just how 'very', without having to type ' very, very, very, very ' three times.

But you've typed 'very' 6 times in that post :confused1: :dunce:

Steamie+

Thanks Daffy, Daveg and N-Gauge-US, for your kind thoughts and has for you escafeld, you really don't know anything about me and what i have been going through, all i what is to have closer on my time with the company, and it's not really all about the money, we are all not money grabbing and no i won't swear because this is a family forum, it seems to me like a certain other individual on this forum you just what to have an argument, i will not take you up on it, just enjoy your modelling please has all of us do with what ever we do, whether it is running trains, scratch building, making Dioramas or just drooling at what others have.

This is an unhappy Thread and not an angry Thread.    Happy Modelling.       :thumbsup:

Sprintex

OK people I think this is getting too personal now, no reason to go making assumptions and throwing insults at each other when, as many of you have said, we know very little about each other apart from what we read on this forum.

Back to being mildly 'Unhappy' please.

:thankyousign:

Paul

broadsword

How about a " foaming at the mouth thread" then people could
swap insults without offending the rest of the forum.

austinbob

Quote from: broadsword on March 25, 2017, 09:51:32 AM
How about a " foaming at the mouth thread" then people could
swap insults without offending the rest of the forum.
I suggested a similar 'Rant' thread.
Whether you call it 'Foaming at the mouth' or 'Rant' thread you could post your frustrations into this thread, or have them moved to the thread by the mods.
People who don't want to read them could Filter them out in their profile.
Happy days -  :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations