Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Yes, our modern environments, the things we eat, the drugs we take, the things we buy - all must have an impact upon the human body that are really hard to identify. I read recently an American study that concluded that we spend up to 90% of our time indoors, and that indoor environments are very often more polluted than outdoor city streets. Chemicals in carpets, plastics, and other sources of 'out gassing' (not what some wags may be thinking :) ), aerosols, liquids and sprays for cleaning or deodorising, dry atmosphere in central heated buildings, or bad humidity, and the bugs and mites that love these cosy environments we create for ourselves.

And we all know about the outdoor environment with its pollutants, so it is little wonder we have so many 'odd' health issues these days. The human body is an amazing but delicate machine, and though science does a fantastic job identifying all manner of causes and effects, we are all as individual as snowflakes so finding 'cures' for all will be a job for the lives of thousands for centuries to come. And of course the time-lag between scientific study and discovery, to the dissemination of a curative through the medical professions, is enormous.
It's at times a gloomy picture, but on balance I think it is amazing what we have discovered thus far, and both science and medicine are advancing exponentially.

There is hope for us all, someday.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Steamie+

Feeling a bit down, got my wage slip for what i thought would be my last pay from work and it is only one months pay!!!! They are now saying i have to wait until the end of April before i can get all the money they have said i would receive, minus the last two weeks of this month which is included in the 10 week pay in lieu.

Still not able to have closer from them for another month and then i will still have to wait until i get my P45 for my pension from them, because i have to prove that i no longer work for them and it is one of the forms of ID.

Had enough of it all.      :( :( :(

dannyboy

That is a bit of a pain in the derriere - I think I would feel like a  :'( if I were in your shoes. I do not know the ins and outs of redundancy/final pay etc., but the one consolation I can see is that you have the money to look forward to.  Whatever happens, good luck in the future.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Steamie+

Quote from: dannyboy on March 24, 2017, 05:58:48 AM
That is a bit of a pain in the derriere - I think I would feel like a  :'( if I were in your shoes. I do not know the ins and outs of redundancy/final pay etc., but the one consolation I can see is that you have the money to look forward to.  Whatever happens, good luck in the future.  :beers:

:thankyousign: David, it's just so annoying that they have had loads of time to sort out my final pay and then i can close all ties with them.    :beers:

daffy

Sad to hear this Steamie, but it's only a month, and I suggest filling that time with trains, trains, and more trains. :thumbsup: 
And maybe some very loud music, a few beers, and lots of walks or just sitting out in the warm Spring sunshine and watching the new life dawning that is your retirement.
:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daveg

Now that's what I call a Good Plan, daffy.  :thumbsup:

Go for it, Steamie!

:beers:

Dave G

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: Steamie+ on March 24, 2017, 04:47:54 AM
Feeling a bit down, got my wage slip for what i thought would be my last pay from work and it is only one months pay!!!! They are now saying i have to wait until the end of April before i can get all the money they have said i would receive, minus the last two weeks of this month which is included in the 10 week pay in lieu.

Still not able to have closer from them for another month and then i will still have to wait until i get my P45 for my pension from them, because i have to prove that i no longer work for them and it is one of the forms of ID.

Sorry to hear it, Steamie. I'm sure you're ready to be done with it ( and with them!). Hopefully it will pass quickly and you'll get to do a bit of what daffy suggested ;)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

daffy

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 05:44:21 PM
Quote from: Steamie+ on March 24, 2017, 04:47:54 AM

Hardly a big deal. They could have made you work the notice period rather than paying you PILON which would have meant you didn't get your final pay or redundancy money until the end of May and you would have had to go into work each day, regardless of whether they had any work for you to do.

I'm sorry, but I think that is rather an insensitive comment given the problems Steamie has been experiencing over his redundancy.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Nick

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 05:44:21 PM

Hardly a big deal. They could have made you work the notice period rather than paying you PILON which would have meant you didn't get your final pay or redundancy money until the end of May and you would have had to go into work each day, regardless of whether they had any work for you to do.
:censored: hell...

I didn't know that the NHS had opened an Empathy Bypass Clinic. Or did you have the work done privately?
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

austinbob

It's just a harmless way of expressing extreme dissatisfaction with an event, situation or perhaps someone's inappropriate post!!
:hmmm:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

It seems you might have had a bad day... So I suggest, without  :censored: swearing that its probably best to abort this bit of the unhappy thread. Have a good weekend.
:) :wave:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: Nick on March 24, 2017, 06:31:43 PM

Why do males on this forum regularly have to use :censored:

There's no need for swearing (or implying swearing) on here or in life. You don't get it from the few female members on here.

Not only is that sexist, it's also inaccurate. I know plenty of women who swear; the expectation that they not is because some men perceive it to be unladylike. As to your question, swearing is a cross-linguistic universal (something you find in all languages) and is a normal part of human expression. Its use is meant to convey a range of emotions and reactions, often appropriately. In this case, what I find more inappropriate is that you chose to reply to someone else's perfectly reasonable distress with callous insensitivity and then defended it as a personal retaliation for a previous slight by the poster.  :no:

Nick

WRT the swearing discussion, interestingly I was reading an article in one of the broadsheets earlier this week which was highlighting that serious public swearing has become a female trait, not a male one.

I have no evidence to support that, except to say that it accords with my experience of office environments from the mid/late 80s onwards.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 07:46:26 PM
Quote from: N-Gauge-US on March 24, 2017, 07:42:03 PM
Quote from: escafeld on March 24, 2017, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: Nick on March 24, 2017, 06:31:43 PM

Why do males on this forum regularly have to use :censored:

There's no need for swearing (or implying swearing) on here or in life. You don't get it from the few female members on here.

Not only is that sexist, it's also inaccurate.

So which of the few females in this male dominated forum have you see use the  :censored: ?

I found 4 using the search function in 2 minutes, but I'm not going to list them because you seem to have turned it into some sort of badge of shame, but you can do the same very easily. My point is that swearing isn't and shouldn't be gendered, nor is it something to be particularly maligned. Moreover, we are talking about people using the censored smiley, not writing long, profane posts; your reaction is disproportionate.  This: :censored: isn't especially offensive.

Mito

When I was at school many years ago we were taught that swearing showed a lack of vocabulary and intelligence. I still hold with that. There are plenty of ways to express oneself without resorting to expletives, yes I swear but not to replace adjectives or verbs, only to relieve the pain when I hit my thumb with a hammer.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations