N Gauge Now

Started by Northern Git, November 24, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Sounds great.  Sadly, I haven't had this or the last issue.  I gave up emailing.

Newportnobby

With due apologies to @Tank if he's still not getting his mags, but I recently received Issue 21 Spring 2020 and there are some very good articles in it, notably one on the class 73s and another on LNER locos from Union Mills which I'm sure @Train Waiting would be interested in.
Of course, being (like the NGS Journal) a periodical the news is never as up to date as a platform like the NGF but, unlike the monthlies and like the Journal, it's 100% N gauge.

Train Waiting

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 24, 2020, 11:36:03 AM
... there are some very good articles in it, notably one on the class 73s and another on LNER locos from Union Mills which I'm sure @Train Waiting would be interested in.

Many thanks for the tip-off, Mick.

I've ordered this issue.  I await its arrival with interest as I've never seen this publication.

Thanks again.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Tank

I got mine thanks Mick.  Looks like a good issue.  A shame that the quality of the NGF advert has suddenly become pixelated, and the advert on the back for the N Gauge SouthEast show is now void...!  Looking forward to next year!!!

njee20

How have they not fixed those things?! I swear it was 3 years ago we were talking about pixelated adverts!

PWayman

Personally I really look forward to the mag arriving, I have every one.  It is a breath of fresh air to me to read about totally N gauge.
   Such a lot of research goes into the articles either historical ones about manufacturers or important N Gauge pioneers or tracing the histories of the prototypes and model histories of the prototypes. Even down to manufacturer model codes and dates.
   The current mag has an excellent article on the LNER and the history of the class 73 ED's, a history of Virgin Trains, a layout description of Hatch End and road vehicles in "N"  A pretty varied selection I think.
   The guys who write these articles sure do a lot of research. Howard does a superb job in my view.

N Gauge South East was no doubt still on when the mag went to press and to be honest I had not noticed the pixels in the Forum advert, looked fine to me.

Train Waiting

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 24, 2020, 11:36:03 AM
...I recently received Issue 21 Spring 2020 and there are some very good articles in it, notably one on the class 73s and another on LNER locos from Union Mills which I'm sure @Train Waiting would be interested in.

I ordered a copy of this magazine and it arrived today.  I had never seen N Gauge Now before and found it an interesting read.  I enjoyed the article about LNER locomotives made by Union Mills; it was good to see these lovely models getting some well-deserved publicity.  If any Forum Friends are interesting in acquiring any of the locomotives mentioned in the article, there are a couple of points of information that might just be helpful.

The locomotives listed in the article as 'D16/2', including the one in the photograph (No. 62614) are actually class 'D16/3'.  The story of the 'D15' and 'D16' classes is a complex one, but if it has the round-topped Gresley-style boiler, it's a 'D16/3'.  The Union Mills List of Union Mills Locomotives Made correctly has these as D16/3'.

The locomotives listed in the article as 'GNR/NER Raven 'Q6' Class 0-8-0' are interesting.  The Union Mills model, correctly listed by Union Mills, is one of Harry Ivatt's GNR 'Long Toms', as classified 'Q2' by the LNER.  The LNER added 3000 to the numbers of ex-GNR locomotives until Edward Thompson's comprehensive renumbering scheme of 1943, completed in 1946.  As far as I can tell No. 3454 has a correct pre-War number for a 'Q2'.  The class became extinct in 1935 so were not given 'Thompson' numbers.  Apart from one, the other locomotives listed in the article have post-War numbers (or the BR number with a 6 added) in the 3340-3459 series.  These were class 'Q6', Sir Vincent Raven's NER 0-8-0s.  Fascinatingly, No. 3454 also fits in this post-War sequence!  The article has a nice photograph of a 'Q6', complete with outside cylinders and NER cab.  It also has a photograph on a Union Mills 'Q2' with inside cylinders and Ivatt cab.  The article also lists No. 2259, which was the pre-War number for a 'Q6', later 3416.  To conclude, the model is a 'Q2' and was listed by Union Mills as such, but the later numbers are for locomotives of Class 'Q6'.

I'd be very glad to receive any corrections to my notes.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

gavin_t

I have just come across this publication thanks to the advert on this forum.

Going to order the latest issue to give it a try. Whilst I have my wallet out is it worth ordering a couple of previous issues as well?

Seems to be some favourable reviews and comments on this thread  :)

javlinfaw7

Definitely worth buying a few especially at the price he is now selling his early back copies

martyn

One thing to note with the D16/3 if you are thinking of renumbering the model is that there were two distinct versions.

One had the original GER style running plate/footplate with decorative valancing over the coupled wheels. The second version had the valancing cut away when rebuilt. The original style, with the exception of 'Royal Claud' 8783, was retained by locos rebuilt with a new boiler from the so-called 'Super Clauds'.

The reversing rod was also a different shape on those locos rebuilt with piston valves as compared to the rod on those which retained slide valves.

As Train Waiting says, the history of the class was quite involved when developed and then rebuilt; see 'Locomotives of the LNER' by the RCTS vol 3C.

martyn

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations