!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Network SouthernEngland - Tank's Layout  (Read 19349 times)

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
Re: Network SouthernEngland - Tank's Layout
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:03 am »
Yup - pop up there myself when I'm home too (although normally just for a bit of moral support). Spend half my life in aeroplanes so prefer to have my feet on the ground when not working  :D At least you cannot complain about the noise  ;)

Will let you know when I'm back - planning on a Kato "ledge loop" around the spare room when things quieten down, might be able to learn a thing or two form you. Having seen the vid's you posted Tank, I might just ask if I can pop around for a cuppa  :)

BTW, those  :Class414: rule!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2014, 10:15:17 am »
Sorry, forgot to mention ... those Graham Farish Scenecraft low relief blocks of flats you have - they had one or two in Allders of Croydon for GBP12.95 each!

Not sure if you've been in there but there's a model section with a load of ex-Modelzone stock and they are knocking it out at half RRP. They might have gone now but it might be worth just popping in there to see what they have. The prices are crazily low - I think they make a business of just buying liquidated stock and selling it on. I bought some brand new wagons in there for about 4 quid each.

The concession has been there a while, but it could disappear at any time, it's that kind of set up I think. Worth popping in but be prepared to either find some amazing bargains or find that it's all gone. The chap said any locos they get in tend to go on day one. I was last there at the beginning of Sept.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:41 am »
Hi Pete.  I'm afraid that I decided against the catch as the weight of the traverser seems to hold it's position very well on its own.

Hi Tank

Interesting. Does that mean that you have no locking mechanism at all? My traverser's not particularly lightweight either, but if you left out the catch, how do you guarantee that the tracks are aligned?

Peter

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2017, 09:56:51 pm »
Wow, a two and a half year gap since I last posted on here!  I knew progress was slow....!   :doh:

Yesterday I managed to find some time to get into the loft and moved the original bridge that I'd made.  It was bringing the four main line tracks directly across the needed access for the traverser.  Because of the woodwork that needed to be done I've put it off for ages - although that's mainly due to having the time in the fist place.  :)

So, bridge moved, points added to the outer track, crossovers for the other main lines, and the access created to about 18 of the 22 tracks/sidings on the traverser.  The others will have a separate access due to the limitation of the hinges stopping the full width of the traverser moving across.

Hi Pete.  I'm afraid that I decided against the catch as the weight of the traverser seems to hold it's position very well on its own.

Hi Tank

Interesting. Does that mean that you have no locking mechanism at all? My traverser's not particularly lightweight either, but if you left out the catch, how do you guarantee that the tracks are aligned?

Peter

Sorry for not replying.  No, no locking mechanism at all.  I just don't need one on it as it's perfectly level and only moves when I touch it.  :)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2017, 09:23:28 am »
2 years eh? (Mental note to self - make sure I do better with my layouts) :D

I reckon a few folks would like to see a 'how to' about your traverser i.e. construction and powering of said item, Chris :hmmm:

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2017, 09:29:52 am »

I reckon a few folks would like to see a 'how to' about your traverser i.e. construction and powering of said item, Chris :hmmm:

Not in our lifetime  :smiley-laughing:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:01 am »
I'm a bit worried about the stock lying sideways  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Greenbridge.

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:49 am »
 :hellosign: :greatwork: :superblayout: :thankyousign:
And now, it's up to you. Please don't be too cruel...

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2017, 10:17:31 am »
That's a lot of track on show.
Looks good.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2017, 11:43:22 am »
Sorry for not replying.  No, no locking mechanism at all.  I just don't need one on it as it's perfectly level and only moves when I touch it.  :)

Exactly the same as mine. No locking mechanism needed after all.

(Not specifically a shot of the traverser itself, but it does show the fiddle yard in its current state, over the two new slatted shelves I've just installed to take the Mill Lanes rolling stock cartridges.)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here