!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Network SouthernEngland - Tank's Layout  (Read 17434 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Network SouthernEngland - Tank's Layout
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:59:42 am »
Hello all,

I only have it loosely planned out for now....

Despite New SouthEaston (previous layout) not really being used since I moved house in February '09 and the birth of my son, I've still been buying models and other bargains from time to time.  I've been meaning to start a new bigger layout in DCC, and have recently purchased the Gaugemaster Advance 2 to get me started.

Today I took some measurements of the 'train room' that I'm lucky to have, and have planned out a rough idea of the boards for the new layout.  The main four boards work out as 9ft by 9ft, with a traverser to the right of them at 4.5ft.

I'm not too sure about what exactly I want to do with the track plan.  At the moment I'd like two stations, four tracks to go around the layout, plenty of sidings, and a traverser to hold complete trains.  I plan to use track from the 2mm Association, and make a third rail (not live though)!   :D

I still have all of my rolling stock, and plan to slowly convert all the trains to DCC.  The layout will be based on British Rail in the Network SouthEast era, so I'll be needing plenty of red paint for the stations!   :lol:

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:03:20 pm by Tank, Reason: Title »

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: New SouthEaston
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:00:13 pm »
Right, here is a rough idea for my traverser.  The red lines represent the tracks (as I'm sure you intelligent people realised right away!), but I'm not sure about how many tracks I'll have on it yet.  As many as possible really.  I've also decided to make two traversers next to each other - one for the engines, and one for the coaches, freight, EMU's, DMU's etc.

On the left is where the main line will be (which still needs planning), and on the far right hand side is the buffer stop.

So far I plan to use heavy duty draw runners to allow the traversers to be pulled forwards and back by hand.  I also think that to allow the tracks to line up perfectly I'll use a Bales Catch....

I will only need one of these, as I'll get a length of metal and drill holes at regular intervals for the ball to catch - which will represent where each length of track has to be in line with.

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »
As a third-rail fan myself, I look forward to watching progress on this - good luck :)
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:30:19 pm »
Thanks Tadpole.   :)  Yes, plenty of third-rail stock in the future.  Off the top of my head I have so far:- 2 4-CIGs, Wessex 442, Class 455 (well, being made at the moment!).  The rest of the stock are mainly diesels.

Offline REFaust

• N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:50:17 pm »
Hi

Looks like this will be an interesting layout.

You could slightly amend layouts 16/17 from CJ Freezers N gauge book, which is 9ft by 8ft 6 inches. 16 is the steam era version, 17 diesel. Both give a double track mainline, but you can increase that as you have more width and also dispense with the storage tracks as you're planning to use the traverser (putting the second station in their place). Freezers plan was originally for a bedroom and was less deep and had to allow for the bed and wardrobe, so you can expand it to suit.

Will be interested to see future developments.

R E Faust

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »
Thanks for the idea.  I do have that book, so I'll dig it out for ideas.  I definitely want to incorporate two stations, so I could get rid of the sidings as you suggested, or put them elsewhere on the layout.  Once the baseboards are bought and made, I'll figure out what I can fit on there. 

:NGAUGE:

Offline REFaust

• N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:01:57 pm »
I really like that idea of two parallel traversers to allow you to quickly couple up whichever loco and rolling stock you want.

Looking forwards to seeing this built, hope to see lots of photos etc.

R E Faust    :NGAUGE:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:05:05 am »
Thanks R E Faust.  I hope to make a start on the baseboards after Christmas.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:48 pm »
Thanks R E Faust.  I hope to make a start on the baseboards after Christmas.

Well, it's been over 8 months since I last wrote on this thread as I was concentrating on my Ministry of Defence layout.  This will now be a large diorama to slot into this layout. :P

Today I managed to begin on the battening around the room.  I managed to get hold of a lot of 2 by 2 from where I work, and I had the suitable wall fixings.  I'm about halfway around the loft room, but it's too hot today, so I'll finish it tomorrow.

I have some wood that I can use for the baseboards, but it'll be VERY heavy!  It's block-board, and I'd be mad to use it, but I have no money to buy the MDF that I want - as I've gone mad with buying rolling stock lately and the bank manager won't be pleased. :'(  Time to sell some of my possessions I think!

More as it happens.... :sleep:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 06:22:04 pm »
Hi Chris,
As a relative latecomer to your plans, it's a really good size area you have to 'play' with. Wish I had a loft to use but it would cost me all my limbs to convert it, especially if elf 'n' safety got involved. :thumbsdown: Interesting to use a traverser instead of fiddle yard, too.
Shame about the funds shortage - hope this gets sorted and more progress is made. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »
Nothing very exciting for you guys to read about, but I bought a load of track from Oldman a few weeks ago, and today I managed to get all of the offcuts of MDF home. :beers:  One more day of work and then a week off.  Then it's time to get the baseboards sorted out. :thumbsup:

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:52:17 pm »
A good time to make progress. It's exciting to have a few days with no work to get in the way.  Good luck with the baseboards.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Rheneas N Gauge

• Trade Count: (-1)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 06:23:42 pm »
on Coninford 00 Gauge layout the transfer on 2 lenghts of 00 track with mk1 and mk2 coach bogies to make sure there is smooth movement for the tracks on top

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 06:27:00 pm »
Eh?! ??? ;D

Offline polo2k

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 06:48:04 pm »
Eh?! ??? ;D

I think he means that there are 2 lengths of oo track perpendicular to the N and the coach wheels ride on that

A la:

p.s. have you considered cartridges on some of the traverser roads?
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here