!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ivebridge  (Read 11618 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Ivebridge
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2014, 04:11:28 pm »
Very useful bit of kit, with good results :thumbsup:

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2014, 08:30:37 pm »
 I got a bit more work in on the narrow gauge line at the front of the layout. I've built a combination engine shed/warehouse for the dock tank and its train from bits of brick card, the remains of a scrapped roundhouse engine shed that was (as is most of my kit bash components) part of an old job lot of bits and some corrugated plasticard I picked up in an art shop in Newcastle.

The reason it's a combination shed/warehouse in the middle of the narrow gauge line can be seen in the last photo. It covers 3 surface mounted point switches at the front of the layout ;)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2014, 12:52:50 am »
Nice bit of scratch building :thumbsup:

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2014, 08:14:26 pm »
Finally added handrails and real coal to my coaling tower and it's provisionally in place. Will need to blend the base of the legs into the surrounding terrain, but otherwise done :)

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2014, 09:30:54 pm »
Looks to dogs, really must get around to finishing my one off.   :)

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2015, 10:56:35 pm »
Time for a bit of destruction this time as I'm moving house. New layout room already assigned although possibly a different shape/size.

Fortunately I designed Ivebridge to be portable, even if it needs a little temporary mayhem..

The layout's on 2 square frames. Once I separate them I'll be boxing them in with wooden frames and they'll go easily in the back of a transit.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2015, 04:01:10 am »
Did it fall on its side?

Good luck with the move...
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2015, 07:20:10 am »
Good luck with the move!

I'm *just* starting again after a house move last October.

Dave G

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2015, 07:32:47 am »
Did it fall on its side?

Good luck with the move...

No. That''s an intentional cut through the thin layer of plaster bandage etc covering the boards. It's sideways because of the forum bug with uploading pics from iPhones :)

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2016, 05:26:53 pm »
Actually managed to get a little time today to do some work on Ivebridge. Having done some tidy up on the 2 boards and got myself some more code 55 flexi track from the N Gauge Show, I decided to change some of the track design a little to improve running and give myself some space around the engine shed area for a scrap line.

So today, I've been carefully removing the track and points from the station area at the front of the layout. Most of this area is going to be reworked to a smoother track layout and I'm planning on using servo control for the points rather than under-baseboard point motors. So there'll be some planning towards this too.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2016, 05:36:33 pm »
Actually managed to get a little time today to do some work on Ivebridge. Having done some tidy up on the 2 boards and got myself some more code 55 flexi track from the N Gauge Show, I decided to change some of the track design a little to improve running and give myself some space around the engine shed area for a scrap line.

So today, I've been carefully removing the track and points from the station area at the front of the layout. Most of this area is going to be reworked to a smoother track layout and I'm planning on using servo control for the points rather than under-baseboard point motors. So there'll be some planning towards this too.

I haven't seen this thread before and just wanted to say how excellent it all looks (especially the waterfall scene). Very ambitious sounding redesign! It might frighten a lesser man off! ;)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2016, 06:11:00 pm »
Looks worse than it is ;)

Offline N-Gauge-US

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2016, 08:06:37 pm »
Looks worse than it is ;)

I'm looking at a board of undecorated foam and a pile of woodland Scenics turf packs and wondering how to make something of the two, so I still feel like it looks pretty good by comparison ;)

I also notice you have one of the Dapol signals in frame.... I want one terribly but they are a little expensive and I'm trying my hand with the Ratio ones now.  Almost ready to switch over lol (especially since my new layout only really needs one signal....). How do you like it?

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2016, 08:19:24 pm »
I picked up 3 on pre order from Osbornes when they were first announced, waited around a year for Dapol to actually make and release them and eventually put one in the layout 6 months later but never got time to properly wire it up :) luckily as it was pre-ordered from Osborne I only paid the pre-order price, which was a lot cheaper than the RRP on release.

I do like the look of them but underwhelmed by reports of their reliability and the huge lump below it for the relay. I suspect I'll use them as-is until they break then rebuild them to work off servos once I have the points running off them.

I got 2 home and a distant signal (the layout design when I ordered them was different) and this redesign might use them properly :)

Offline N-Gauge-US

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2016, 11:29:40 pm »
I picked up 3 on pre order from Osbornes when they were first announced, waited around a year for Dapol to actually make and release them and eventually put one in the layout 6 months later but never got time to properly wire it up :) luckily as it was pre-ordered from Osborne I only paid the pre-order price, which was a lot cheaper than the RRP on release.

I do like the look of them but underwhelmed by reports of their reliability and the huge lump below it for the relay. I suspect I'll use them as-is until they break then rebuild them to work off servos once I have the points running off them.

I got 2 home and a distant signal (the layout design when I ordered them was different) and this redesign might use them properly :)
Thanks very much for the info! Lucky dog on getting them cheap!

After spending the last two hours trying to assemble the switching mechanism to the ratio signal kit, I gave up in disgust and decided that I could live with slipping my finger under the layout to switch it from the bottom of the signal, as I couldn't get the spring to reset it which makes the signalman's lever switchy bit worthless. I may assemble and paint the other two I have but will likely only use them cosmetically and may very well replace the one on my layout with a Dapol one.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here