!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ivebridge  (Read 13714 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Ivebridge
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2013, 10:08:05 pm »
Even though a bit shredded, it looks extremely good :thumbsup:
The main thing is, are you pleased with it?

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2013, 10:52:20 pm »
Even though a bit shredded, it looks extremely good :thumbsup:
The main thing is, are you pleased with it?

It took a couple of re-designs to come up with a panel layout that had enough spacing between the buttons to fit them on but still fit within the original case and be readable but I'm pretty pleased with it.

I'll be even more happy with it once I've done the proper overlay with the paint effects and Fablon cover and fixed the inevitable bugs that'll occur when I test it :)

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »
Here's how the previous incarnation of the control box looked for Ive's Yard when it was nearly complete.

For finishing touches, I added rust/riveting effects to the panel graphic and covered it in clear, textured Fablon to make it feel more like an industrial panel.

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 10:35:05 pm »
Ivebridge's new control panel is now mostly wired..

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 04:16:58 pm »
OMG - I've just soiled my armour (again) :worried:
I have all that to come :uneasy:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 04:24:56 pm »
OMG - I've just soiled my armour (again) :worried:
I have all that to come :uneasy:

Oh yes! Me too!

I looked in on the layout currently in storage away from plaster and paint. All the sticky pad clips used for holding cables to the underside have failed in the heat. Tiny touches of impact adhesive may be the solution.

Dave G

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:02 am »
Slightly simpler for the fiddle yard (and access to the branch line). It's all Kato track and points behind the scenes there, so I put together a nice little yard control box for it.

Offline Sprintex

• N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2013, 11:21:32 am »
I looked in on the layout currently in storage away from plaster and paint. All the sticky pad clips used for holding cables to the underside have failed in the heat. Tiny touches of impact adhesive may be the solution.

Same happened to mine over time even without any heat, they don't like sticking to wood ;)

Mine had a hole provided for a small woodscrew to secure, which has now been put to use :)

Paul

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2013, 11:37:07 am »
Neat job on that box.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07:12 pm »
The main control panel is now internally wired and even includes the battery pack for the turntable motor and a CDU for all the point motors.

Currently the power connections all work but I've not connected up the point motors just yet (all the wires run to connection blocks at the back) and it's got a temporary front panel print until I can sort out some issues with our laser printer not wanting to print at 100% size.

For the power connections, I've gone with the patchbay approach as I've only got 3 controllers. The box has 3 Kato connectors to hook to the controllers and connected to those are 3 2.5mm mono jack plugs on cables coming out of the side of the panel. These 3 plugs can be plugged into any of the 10 power sockets on the panel so you simply plug into the section of track you want to control with a particular controller.

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2013, 09:31:19 pm »
Main track feeds wired up (all except the 4 engine shed tracks, which aren't laid yet ) and all the points except for the 3 way, which I'll need a bit of a meditate before I hook up ;)

So far the patch bay system seems to work but I'm getting and odd issue with power to my points. They work fine for a while then go dead, then randomly recover. The whole system rather than individual points, so I'm guessing either the CDU or the power supply are tripping out temporarily. I'll do a diagnostic on that tomorrow and try and post some videos of it all running :)

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2013, 05:00:37 pm »
As promised, a quick video :)

IveBridge GoPro

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:55 am »
Point motor power failure solved :) one of the point buttons had a strand of wire loose across both terminals so was causing an 'always on' state. That meant the CDU wasn't getting charged when it happened to be touching.

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2014, 06:50:24 pm »
I've finally had some time to do more on the layout and having discovered "Newplas", which is an alternate Plasticine typically used by animators, but a lot cheaper and available in larger lumps, I've found it great for landscaping, filling and generally getting stuff working.

For instance, I've just laid the narrow gauge line for the docks that runs round the bottom of the layout to the cargo warehouse (so there's the main line siding on one side and the dockyard narrow gauge line on the other for goods to be transhipped). I've experimented with using Newplas to build up the ground to place the z gauge flexitrack on and shaped it up to the edge of the rails to give it the tarmaced in effect. It's really easy to shape, can be painted and because it doesn't dry up, it won't crack. Plus I can just lift it all up and change it if I want to.

I've used a Peco kit to build myself a little narrow gauge dock tank called "Lynne" base on a Marklin 0-6-0 chassis and I'm using a Marklin Z gauge crane and flatbed for the moment. I'm going to use a bit of plasticard to build up the crane's cab to be more N scale though.

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2014, 04:00:31 pm »
Testing out the new Fish-Eye and Macro lens my brother got me for my birthday. Pretty nifty, they just pop over the corner of the iPhone.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything