!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ivebridge  (Read 13710 times)

Online Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Ivebridge: Building Inclines
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »
My Realistic Water arrived from Osborns today, so hopefully I'll soon have the water done under the viaduct.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:02 pm »
2nd layer poured and still setting (so still a bit milky white)

The first layer set crystal clear so hopefully it's going to look pretty good. Only problem is the 2 layers so far are about 90% of the bottle and I think it'll need at least another couple of bottles to do properly. Which is a bit of an issue at nearly 18 a bottle :/

May have to look into that stuff used to coat coffee tables.

Offline Sprintex

• N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 04:13:01 pm »
Interested to see how that turns out  :)

Spoke to a nice lady at Royston Exhibition last week, the water on their layout was excellent and had been down for years with no sign of cracking or yellowing. Asked her what they had used - good quality yacht varnish was the answer  ;)

Paul

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »
I think I found the stuff other people were talking about and a UK supplier.

http://www.clarke-coatings.co.uk/envirotex.html

currently they're waiting on stock to arrive as Superstorm Sandy delayed the boat, but sounds like they might have a batch in after December 4th.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 12:47:49 am »
Seeing as there's another NGF truck about to tour, I thought I'd better get the exchange sidings done.

I've been spending a lot of the time on the water feature, which is nearly done, as well as flattening out some of the area with plaster bandage and wiring in point motors for the main line crossover and 3 way point.

I've re-arranged the layout of the exchange sidings and the engine shed area a little to place the points in slightly easier locations for point motors as well as moving a siding to the engine shed side for the coaling stage.

The two main lines and 3 way point are fixed down and wired now, the rest is loosely placed until I can sort out a few bits and pieces.

Just out of shot to the left/bottom the points split to 3 tracks, inglenook style as an exchange siding that ends at the harbour, doubling as a transfer siding to barges.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 07:15:51 am »
Looking good!  :greatpicturessign:

Please can you describe how you did the waterfall by the viaduct. That looks very realistic and I'd appreciate tips on using the material and the technique.

Dave G

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 10:08:58 am »
Looking good!  :greatpicturessign:

Please can you describe how you did the waterfall by the viaduct. That looks very realistic and I'd appreciate tips on using the material and the technique.

Dave G

Now it's a bit more finished I'll get some new shots and describe what I did.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »

The waterfall, pool and harbour so far..

The water is a combination of a few methods. Initially I tried a bottle of Scenecraft Realistic Water, but starting in the harbour area I realised it really didn't go all that far, so after the bottle ran out after a couple of layers (and I hadn't even touched the pool) I decided to experiment a bit.

Using the pool as a test area, I tried layering clear varnish (Homebase stuff), which did dry clear, but only built up in super thin layers and took a day to dry each layer properly. However, I then decided to cheat a bit and cut out sheets of clear polythene (some of the slightly crinkly, thin stuff you get some plastic kit components in). Sticking this down with varnish at the edges I could then layer that a couple of times and build some depth, with the pool area looking more disturbed, as it would be from the waterfall.

It was still taking forever to build up to the right depth to match the harbour and the joining rapids though, so I blew another 15 on Realistic Water (HobbyCraft seem to have it the cheapest) and that was then enough to build up a good couple of layers on the pool, cover the rapids and even put another couple of layers on the harbour to balance it all out (I think I lost some to leaks into the scenery in the first go).

The waterfall itself is done with the Scenecraft Water Effects using the technique they show on the video. It's squirted out in lines on greaseproof paper, swizzled a bit with cocktail sticks to get the right texture and left to dry. You then get a flexible strip of waterfall to stick down. I painted various areas around the waterfall with the clear varnish to make them look like they were wet from the spray and stuck it on. I've used more of the Water Effects for the rapids and ripples in the pond but I really like the clear reflective effect of the realistic water in the harbour so I'm going to leave it un-rippled I think. There's enough variation in its depth to keep it fairly realistic looking in photos.

To do:
I'm experimenting with various ideas to do a decent spray effect at the base of the waterfall. It's going to be tricky but I've got all sorts of whispy materials to try out :)

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 02:12:51 pm »
Finally got some more time to work on Ivebridge again, so I've pretty much completed the ballasting (although it still needs cleaning and painting) and I've got the station platforms in, awaiting buildings and fencing.

I'll upload another pic later as I've also painted the engine shed now and ballasted the track running into the turntable.

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 03:50:08 pm »

The waterfall, pool and harbour so far..

The water is a combination of a few methods. Initially I tried a bottle of Scenecraft Realistic Water, but starting in the harbour area I realised it really didn't go all that far, so after the bottle ran out after a couple of layers (and I hadn't even touched the pool) I decided to experiment a bit.

Using the pool as a test area, I tried layering clear varnish (Homebase stuff), which did dry clear, but only built up in super thin layers and took a day to dry each layer properly. However, I then decided to cheat a bit and cut out sheets of clear polythene (some of the slightly crinkly, thin stuff you get some plastic kit components in). Sticking this down with varnish at the edges I could then layer that a couple of times and build some depth, with the pool area looking more disturbed, as it would be from the waterfall.

It was still taking forever to build up to the right depth to match the harbour and the joining rapids though, so I blew another 15 on Realistic Water (HobbyCraft seem to have it the cheapest) and that was then enough to build up a good couple of layers on the pool, cover the rapids and even put another couple of layers on the harbour to balance it all out (I think I lost some to leaks into the scenery in the first go).

The waterfall itself is done with the Scenecraft Water Effects using the technique they show on the video. It's squirted out in lines on greaseproof paper, swizzled a bit with cocktail sticks to get the right texture and left to dry. You then get a flexible strip of waterfall to stick down. I painted various areas around the waterfall with the clear varnish to make them look like they were wet from the spray and stuck it on. I've used more of the Water Effects for the rapids and ripples in the pond but I really like the clear reflective effect of the realistic water in the harbour so I'm going to leave it un-rippled I think. There's enough variation in its depth to keep it fairly realistic looking in photos.

To do:
I'm experimenting with various ideas to do a decent spray effect at the base of the waterfall. It's going to be tricky but I've got all sorts of whispy materials to try out :)

Looks great,

Am about to start my water but can you tell me how deep you went with the harbour until you were happy with it?

Forum and internet answers seem to just say 'you can have it as deep as you like' but that doesn't really answer the question. Am preparing the base basin and don't want to be too shallow for realism or too deep for money.

Thanks weave.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »

Looks great,

Am about to start my water but can you tell me how deep you went with the harbour until you were happy with it?

Forum and internet answers seem to just say 'you can have it as deep as you like' but that doesn't really answer the question. Am preparing the base basin and don't want to be too shallow for realism or too deep for money.

Thanks weave.

I only went about 1cm deep and even that took 2 bottles of realistic water. 99% of the effect of 'deep' water is down to the darker shades you paint underneath it. You could also mix in some darker paint with the first layer or so to make it more of a graduated effect.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »
Latest overview. The area around the engine shed is painted but no scatter yet and the ballast still needs tidying and track painting.

Looking left, port yard at the front of the picture.

looking right, away from the port yard, towards Ives Yard up on the ridge.

I'm planning on putting fencing around the back of the station platforms on the left, but the right hand side is a goods platform for the port yard

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 07:54:46 pm »
Nice pics

Thanks for the update.

Dave G

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 11:47:42 am »
Soldered droppers for both main lines (at each end of the loop), branch line and the front yard last night. Will have to make myself a plug board as I've only got 3 controllers for 6 feeds and I've still got the fiddly bit with the 3 way points into the engine shed, but nearly there!

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2013, 01:52:34 pm »
Bit of woodwork and wiring yesterday. Drilled out a new base panel for Ivebridge's main section to reuse the control box I built for Ives Yard.

The baseplate drops into the box with all the switches and connector sockets attached and wired (there's a CDU built into the box) and then I drop an overlay on top to show what they all do.

At the moment I've only got a rough print of the overlay that I used as a drilling guide for the baseplate, so it's a bit on the shredded side, but once I've finalised all the switches and sockets, I'll do a cleaner one on Depron and that will drop in over the top.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here