!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ivebridge  (Read 14605 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Ivebridge
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2016, 07:53:34 pm »
It's blending in nicely.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2016, 08:29:11 pm »
That's worked extremely well. Nice job :thumbsup:

Online Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2017, 12:46:04 pm »
So, on with the reboot of Ivebridge. It's a little smaller than it was as it's sharing my office, but I'm using the rebuild as a chance to improve the running (and simplify control a little). It also gives me a lot better chance to redo all the pointwork to make it practical to do servo control.

Having done the new track plan I'm now partly ignoring it and laying out a rough idea of where everything will be. Main lines run in a loop on the top level with a branch off to connect to the goods line (also a loop, but at the lower level) and goods yard at the front.
A small narrow gauge layout loops around under the bridge with a siding going off to the shared engine shed.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2017, 05:50:39 pm »
Thanks for the update. It's very good to see the new Ivebridge emerging.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2017, 02:08:47 pm »
A little more progress. This section is mostly hidden track behind the bridge where the main lines are running back from the loop and the branch line winds down to run out.

I'm recycling as much material from the old layout as possible, thus the tunnel bits and panel (which will be removable for track access), I'm extending the river back into the board slightly too, with a small weir into what used to be a pool at the bottom of a waterfall and running back around the corner with banks/hills to hide the branch line loop down.

Once all the track is pinned down (the Z gauge rails still need to go in for the narrow gauge line) I'm going to build up the hill sections around the tunnel mouths and fix them in place and fix up the other joins to the removable panel, plus a serious amount of foliage to cover it so hopefully you'll not be able to see any joins ;)

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2017, 04:52:20 pm »
Here's a rough approximation of how the narrow gauge loop will run (it loops around the back) using Z gauge track

and yes, that is a home made N-Z crossover. Because I'm an idiot and wanted to make life difficult for myself :)

it's effectively insulfrog (well, balsafrog TM) and I'll be doing an isolating switch to only allow power to one track at once just in case. It should be enough for goods trains to run over in both directions in theory. The balsa will be painted black before I ballast it all

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2017, 10:01:56 am »
Having realised that getting the z gauge track laid around the back of the layout with minimal access would be tricky and getting it to stay in place generally is always awkward (Z gauge peco flexitrack is very springy), I've come up with a trick.

I've cut strips of Depron and glued sections of the track to it with Copydex. Kind of making myself sections of Unitrack in Z :)

Hopefully this will make it easier to lay the sections on the main board (and through tunnels etc.) without track pieces disconnecting. I can then ballast them all when in place and tested. Being Copydex if any sections do need to be removed, they peel off fairly easily.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »
The rebuild continues. Mk2 N-Z crossover working, plaster bandage laid to 'clean' the lower area and track + bits placed to see roughly how the goods line and engine shed area will work.

The (older) Narrow gauge line handles the barge traffic, although is now just used to tranship it to the main goods line via the shed

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2017, 06:32:04 pm »
Looks very good.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2017, 07:09:38 pm »
Thanks for this update. Good to see progress being made.

Online Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2017, 08:01:21 pm »
A bit of work on the back scene. It has to be low profile as the return lines are hidden directly behind it ;)

The buildings are mostly Scalescenes kits with a refurbished (metcalfe?) pub that was rescued from a job lot and the NGS St Ives Corn Exchange. Still a lot to do and there's going to be quite a bit of trickery to hide the lines running off the scenic part of the layout to the end loops without making the whole thing too high and being able to be transportable.

The buildings/pavement are all on a thin strip of hardboard that can be removed along with the backboard.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2017, 10:02:44 pm »
Many thanks for the update. Very good to see progress being made.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything