Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Got dragged around 'Bygone Times' (antiques, collectables, tat etc) at Ecclestone a couple of days ago but did manage to unearth a DVD of 'Where Eagles Dare' for a couple of our English pounds.
Cracking Alastair McClean, excellent moosic by Ron Goodwin and a good cast.
I saw this film at the cinema when it came out and thought I had it all figured out by intermission time. Remember intermissions? When trays were bought round so you could buy Kia-Ora orange or small tubs of ice cream while they played Pearl & Dean adverts for the local businesses?
Straight after the intermission the film blew apart my theory completely in the scene in the castle's main hall. :doh:

daffy

An intermission memory...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCo1Ffn9_u8

Those were the days before we were shouted at by the likes of Barry Scott.  >:(

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Just last night MBH and I were reminiscing about intermissions and the usherette coming round with the tray of cigs, choc ices, etc.

daveg

I remember all of that also!

My boss at that time thought it was the greatest movie ever made and would talk about it whenever he had the chance. I wonder what he'd make of the more recent stuff?

Wonder if it'll be on a TV channel near you this year?

Dave G

Bealman

Yeah.... Intermissions. Remember them, I think they may have lasted into the early seventies?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Oh for the golden days when an intermission, filled with film trailers and advertising, formed the natural break between two films you used to get treated to for your money: the B feature, then the Intermission, then the main film or A feature. Plenty of time to get an ice cream from the lady n the white hat who stood at the front with her illuminated tray.

You got real value then, and if I remember correctly, and happily, a visit to the 'flicks' when I was a lad could be had for between sixpence, and one and six pence (that's two and a half pence, and seven and a half pence in modern U.K. parlance). The cheaper deal was for the Saturday morning show, when my siblings and I would traipse down to town, out of Mum's way, and watch such 'A' feature films as Blue Hawaii, starring Elvis Presley, or Summer Holiday with Cliff Richard and a London bus.

Of course the big attraction back then was that films were in colour :o, something the TV at home - if your parents even had one - would not broadcast, and even then only in a very limited fashion, until 1967, with full nationwide coverage taking almost a decade to be established.

Happy days. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

joe cassidy

I'm happy because my central heating boiler is finally working after 4 visits by the repairman, and 6 weeks with heating/hot water on and off  :D

Best regards,

Joe

dannyboy

Absolutely brilliant film, (even taking the continuity errors into account!). And of course, you have 'Broadsword' and 'dannyboy' on the forum, (not that I am calling 'Broadsword - see what I did there?  :doh:).  :beers:

Addit:
I am of course referring to the post about 'Where Eagles Dare'  - don't know why there is such a time lapse between that post and my reply  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

joe cassidy

My son saw the Star Wars film yesterday and he told me that it is a good film but a bad Star Wars film. It is aimed at a younger audience.

Apparently the central theme of good versus evil has been subdued and pride of place has been given to merchandising opportunities for selling furry toys.

Best regards,

Joe

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on December 16, 2017, 08:58:04 AM
Yeah.... Intermissions. Remember them, I think they may have lasted into the early seventies?
They were most certainly around in the early/mid 1980s, which is when most of my UK cinema experience took place.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: railsquid on December 17, 2017, 01:47:27 PM
Quote from: Bealman on December 16, 2017, 08:58:04 AM
They were most certainly around in the early/mid 1980s, which is when most of my UK cinema experience took place.

Intermissions are still part and parcel of cinema performances in some countries - Portugal for example. I think it is an opportunity to get yet another strong coffee which seems to be the number one drink amongst Portuguese cinemagoers.

I enjoyed this one too. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332658/
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bealman

After getting a quite deservedly gentle slap on the wrist from Railgooner in the angry thread, I will just let it be known that the Aussies got the Ashes back.

I'm still a British citizen, but my daughters are very Australian, and they are happy, so Dad is too.  ;)

RailGooner

Just caught up with reading The Angry Thread. :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

@Bealman
@The Q

Bealman

Spotted today at the opposite end of the very mall where the palm trees in bondage reside.....

Setting up for carols in the mall tonight. Probably cheaper than the art and at least seasonal.

Check out the joggers some clown has thrown at upper left. Still, this is Australia!  ;D ;)

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on December 20, 2017, 06:33:25 AM

Check out the joggers some clown has thrown at upper left. Still, this is Australia!  ;D ;)

Wow, all that's left of one of the joggers are his or her running shoes, I guess they were eaten by the local wildlife?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations