Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaian

My patriot arrived in the post today, not got out of the case yet but looks great.
Craig

Newportnobby

A little pressie for myself for getting the OK from a treadmill test Thursday :D
It will need some painting, methinks...........

daffy

A well deserved painting job. :thumbsup:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

port perran

Quote from: newportnobby on May 27, 2017, 02:39:09 PM
A little pressie for myself for getting the OK from a treadmill test Thursday :D

Glad you are happy with the wagon.
I've been considering one and also feel it needs a bit of painting.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

@Karhedron
Matt - I've found pics of shunters trucks on t'interweb but they are generally of preserved versions which are immaculate. You are usually the master of the scarce piccie so any chance you could find me a colour pic of a really grotty one?
I think this is also a 3D printed wagon so any tips on how/with what to paint it would be welcome too!

Karhedron

Hmm tricky. Historical photos are not hard to find as shown below.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2951011

The difficulty is judging the tone of the weathering on a B&W photo. You could always go for one that is newishly outshopped.

Even in this post-war shot of a well-used example, the lettering seems to have been kept legible.

This one in Cornwall has also seen some use although again not in colour.

Whilst I have not been able to track down a historical colour photo online, some common features are notable  in the photos. The tone of weathering seems to be quite even, there is not an obvious concentration of dirt on the lower surfaces of the vehicle.

This makes quite a bit of sense as these were yard vehicles. They rarely ventured out onto the mainlines and rarely travelled at any speed. This means that they would not have accumulated much of the spray of brake dust that liberally decorated the nether regions of most railway vehicles. The weathering would have been a combination of fading from sunlight and a more even coating of soot from the shunting engine.

I would aim for an all-over weathering in dark grey to represent the accumulation of soot and smuts. Possibly weathering powders would be a good way to do this. An airbrush would be even better but take care to build up light coats and keep the tone even. You would not want the effect you get on some factory weathered models where they dust the lower half of the model with a brownish shade like sleeper-grime. My hunch (even without colour photos to hand) is that this approach would be wrong for this vehicle.

If I find anything more definitive I will let you know.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Skyline2uk

Afternoon

My latest N gauge haul, and my first as a married man.

All for a very reasonable price from @B757-236GT , who may even be able to dig out some boxes ( ;)), not that that matters at all.

I am especially chuffed with the FNA and runners.

I am hoping one day to be able to re-create this picture (third picture down, dated April 26th 1994):

http://www.penmorfa.com/Conwy/one.htm

I know this train has what appear to be bogie bolsters as barrier vehicles, but they are for another day.

Besides, the RNA runners are (I stand to be corrected) no longer available? I am thinking that these will form the basis for my first detailing / weathering rolling stock project  :thumbsup:

Will be updating my layout thread shortly with some new train pictures.

Skyline2uk

austinbob

That's it. Newly married and start off as you mean to go on.
New loco for you every month and new shoes and handbag for the better half.
Result - married bliss, oh, and one helluva credit card bill.
:)
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Skyline2uk

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing:

Have you seen the price of Radley handbags these days  :o :goggleeyes:

Skyline2uk

MKP

Quote from: newportnobby on May 27, 2017, 02:39:09 PM

The main thing to paint is the footboards and main deck if you wish to, you can also paint the brake lever in white:

wood is Humbrol #110 (acrylic) , brake lever humbrol #130 (acrylic)

I would probably add a bit of rust around the buffers and a little bit around the axle boxes.

Newportnobby

Thanks for that. Did you use primer or just apply the paint straight to the wagon?
I'm also thinking of creating handrails each side where the 4 stanchions are if I can find some suitable wire :hmmm:

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MKP

Quote from: newportnobby on June 01, 2017, 12:00:48 PM
Thanks for that. Did you use primer or just apply the paint straight to the wagon?
I'm also thinking of creating handrails each side where the 4 stanchions are if I can find some suitable wire :hmmm:

paint straight on to it, it is in GWR grey already, but if you needed it black for BR days a quick spray would probably be best.

zwilnik

I thought it was black in GWR days too as it was departmental? (like the one at Didcot)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations