!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Thornton Gate of the Blackpool Tramway  (Read 34696 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Thornton Gate of the Blackpool Tramway
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2017, 09:50:15 am »
I love this layout!

Thanks for the updates from a guy who hopes to see it someday!  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2017, 09:58:25 am »
The layout is looking good, Tom. I'd love to come up for the Blackpool event, but the bad back that caused me to miss the SVR event, isn't up to it. Here's hoping for another successful outing and some more great pictures.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2017, 10:30:29 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the updates &  :greatpicturessign:  just typical we are in Blackpool 17th- 24th June,  :'(  (got work on 25th in Cornwall). Would love to see sometime
    regards Derek.

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
Totally Models : June 24th / 25th 2017 Rigby Road Depot Blackpool
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2017, 12:19:16 pm »
Its been a hot one! infact June 21st 2017 was the hottest day in the UK since 1976 .... apparently...

Anyway it has been nothing but an utter pain trying to work on the layout over the past five days in the 30+ C temperatures, but we had to with this weekends model show and open weekend at Blackpool Transport's Rigby Road Tram depot.

This is the first event at Rigby Road for some years, so its a real privilege to be able to take Thornton Gate inside the depot for the weekend.

Above: With the show on the horizon the decision was taken (not by me i might add!) to replace the card 'Blackpool' fencing with something a little more 3D, so with only two weeks to go at this point Anna (My girlfriend) took it upon herself to rip out all the card fencing from the layout, some of which has been on the layout for over five years now.

Above: The replacement was some custom resin cast panels which Anna had build the master for out of plastic strip and I had made the moulds and tooling for rather a lot of cast resin duplicates!

The process of cleaning and then painting these panels took in all three days, and was a large undertaking.

Above: Here Anna is just applying a final light weather coat to the newly install panels, which really do look for part!

Above: Some areas like the station were a bit tricky to say the least, and some white paper was used to protect the 'wooden' fence behind from a splatter of Humbrol matt 64!

We've also been static grassing the layout to aid the overall scenics and to try and add some depth, this along with the new fences worked well and allowed for some test 'sunset' moody photos....

Above: Long withdrawn Balloon class no 708 made a brief return to Thornton Gate, now weathered down for this shot of it dumped awaiting onward movement at the rear of the yard.

Above: Work crews still installing new fence panels for the tramway lineside in the streets of north Cleveleys.

Above: And finely sunset at Thornton Gate station.

Back to the upgrades and the coming 'Totally Models' Blackpool Show.... 

Normally with Thornton Gate we like shows that give us barriers, however in this case it was unknown if we were going to get any for the weekend, in which case we have to use plexiglass shields, which I for one hate using as it gives a rather obstructed view of the layout and a 'gold fish bowl' effect. But this children and even some adults completely unable to not touch things, its a necessary safeguard. So for this show we've fitted new shields, still in there protective wrappers in this shot.

And finally we'll end with Balloons 701 and 713 out on test yesterday (21st June) ahead of the layout being crated up ready for transport to Blackpool for this weekends event.

We hope you can make it, well worth a visit this one, with all the other things going on in support of the model show, doors open from 10am on Saturday 24th June 2017!

And as ever thanks for your continued support and viewing of this thread.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2017, 12:29:21 pm »
Sorry I won't be able to make it, Tom, but the mods look great, especially the fencing which is superb. Congrats to you and Anna. At least with the weather we've had the paint should have dried quickly!
Good luck for the show. I'm sure you'll get heaps of interest.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Totally Models : June 24th / 25th 2017 Rigby Road Depot Blackpool
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2017, 02:15:51 pm »
it gets better with every little change Tom  :thumbsup:

This is the first event at Rigby Road for some years, so its a real privilege to be able to take Thornton Gate inside the depot for the weekend.

We hope you can make it, well worth a visit this one, with all the other things going on in support of the model show, doors open from 10am on Saturday 24th June 2017!
As I'm now Crew at Blackpool as well, I couldn't really get away with not being there! See you tomorrow afternoon Tom  :wave:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here