!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LED's to indicate direction  (Read 180 times)

Offline Bobbyvabc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
LED's to indicate direction
« on: May 24, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »
A little advice please. I have laid the track-Peco code 55 and Electrofrog points.The servos have been installed as have the Tam Valley Depot Octopuss 111 servo drivers. I have connected Toggle switches and the points switchas they should. But I am having difficult in connecting LEDs to indicate direction on the
control panel. 
Can someone please throw some light on this subject for me ( no pun intended), as I am only starting out at the age of 72 perhaps I am being a little ambitious.

Regards to all,
Bobbyvabc

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: LED's to indicate direction
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 12:42:46 pm »
I'm not specifically familiar with the Octopus, how have you got them set up? It looks like if you use momentary contact switches then you can use y-cables to use LEDs, if you're using toggle switches then you need DPDT and use the additional pole to control your LEDs (or frog polarity).

Online NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 01:02:25 pm »
You need DPDT toggle switches.  One side of the toggle pins goes to the Octopus, the other side (pole) goes to the LEDs.
The centre pin is power in (or out); each of the other pins goes to the LED to be lit.
I would suggest wired as :
DC Positive wire - resistor - centre pin - leds - ground

Supply voltage used will dictate the value of the resistor needed.

OR you could use their push button board which has two indicating LEDs attached (easy to unsolder and make remote).

Regards,
CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline Bobbyvabc

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:29:23 pm »
Hi NinOz,
Thank you, Do you mean deconstruct the Tan Valley push button board and reconstruct on the control panel.
Regards
Bob

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:33:56 pm »
Reading their literature suggests that's not necessary - you can use a y-cable (if you're using momentary switches), with the switch on one side and the two LEDs on the other side.

Online NinOz

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 02:35:50 pm »
Hi NinOz,
Thank you, Do you mean deconstruct the Tan Valley push button board and reconstruct on the control panel.
Regards
Bob
Exactly.  Would allow separation of the LEDs and push button only if you needed to and didn't want them tightly grouped as supplied.  Although their panel mounts look very nice.
The only "problem" with the push buttons are that they are position toggled rather than sort of direction indicating like a DPDT switch but then that is what the LEDs are for.  Personal preference really.

Of course they have the option of having more than one duplicate panel connected to the same Octopus.

CFJ

PS: since you have it setup and working (hopefully with DPDT switches installed) then adding a couple of LEDs per switch to your panel would be the approach I would take (less time and cheaper).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:45:59 pm by NinOz »

Online NinOz

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 01:12:37 am »
Just a further thought.
If you have SPDT switches and don't want an independent power supply for the LEDs then the following may work (I am not sure of exact wiring for the Octopus inputs):
Red wire - resistor - LED>| - signal wire (usually yellow or white) - LED>| - resistor - Black wire
Just connect at the three terminals of the toggle switch.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:14:21 am by NinOz »

Offline Bobbyvabc

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:58 am »
 Hi NinOz,
Today I purchased some FCB021 R/G Fascia Controllers, plugged them in, all works perfectly (just like a bought one). The arrangement of the push button and the LEDS is fine with me as the control panel was a mock up and I can easily reconfigure to suit. Thank you for the great advice leading me in the right direction.
Regards
Bob :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here