!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A touch of Scotch  (Read 2145 times)

Offline 25901JFM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
Re: A touch of Scotch
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 08:19:30 am »
Yep. However it fits best but you'll get better running that way than a point after the curve.

Hi Mick, how about a right hand curved point rather than a normal right hand point?  That may look more natural.

John

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 09:33:26 am »
Yep. However it fits best but you'll get better running that way than a point after the curve.

Hi Mick, how about a right hand curved point rather than a normal right hand point?  That may look more natural.

John

@25901JFM
By "however it fits best" I meant the choice of point is really dictated by the radius of the overall curve so not to put a small point in a large curve. I agree a large curved point would look better and may give better running but that may throw out the geometry of the crossing.

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 11:28:19 am »

John

@25901JFM
By "however it fits best" I meant the choice of point is really dictated by the radius of the overall curve so not to put a small point in a large curve. I agree a large curved point would look better and may give better running but that may throw out the geometry of the crossing.

Good point Mick [pun not intended, honest!].  Obviously that will be a decision best made by @barneyadi and I guess it will depend on what track is being used for the layout.
John

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 11:57:00 am »

John

@25901JFM

Good point Mick [pun not intended, honest!].  Obviously that will be a decision best made by @barneyadi and I guess it will depend on what track is being used for the layout.
John

I'm using code 55 flexitrack. Would either be a medium point but a curved point had crossed my mind. Will do a anyrail test to see how it flows.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 01:33:58 pm »
This is what it looks like with a curved point. Looks ok to be but any comments?

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 02:24:55 pm »
That looks fine to me.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 02:50:39 pm »
Fine with me, too

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 03:45:35 pm »
That looks fine to me.
Fine with me, too

Cheers guys, so finally got to the final plan. Yippee

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 02:31:14 pm »
Decided to tidy the train room before starting, so I know where everything is before I start. Have ordered a curved point so hopefully that will come soon. Have added platforms etc to plan (see below), just wondering if people had thoughts of where best to put the signal box? Is it fine where it is or would it be better between the branch and inside main line?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »
It's in the right place as far as railway operations go but I have a concern it is too far away from the level crossing. However, I can't see it's possible to move the LC nearer to the signal box.
Maybe it needs an ex signalman to enlighten us.

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 05:26:23 pm »
I'm not paying enough attention, what era is the layout set in please?  You could have a crossing keeper in a small ground cabin the signals protecting the crossing being slotted with the signal box.  For a current example take a look at Staverton on the South Devon Railway.  The original box deals with the gated level crossing and the "new" box controls the passing loop at the Buckfastleigh end of Staverton.  Alternatively if it is a later era the crossing could be a full barrier affair controlled by CCTV from the signal box or if it is a minor road an automatic half barrier crossing, which would be controlled by the passage of trains.  Unfortunately I am a current signalman rather than an ex signalman with knowledge of what used to be...
John

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 05:57:25 pm »
Will be non specific era wise however with a modern feel if that helps.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 08:03:34 pm »
An interesting layout, my only point is that Highland lines were effectively long branch lines . So your double track once out of the  main station should return to being single track.
Highland railways were generally single track, with single track branches, the light railway order of 1902 envisioned a single track from Cromerty  to Conon and got within 6 miles of Cromarty when WW1 got in the way and was never completed.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 09:43:56 pm »
An interesting layout, my only point is that Highland lines were effectively long branch lines . So your double track once out of the  main station should return to being single track.
Highland railways were generally single track, with single track branches, the light railway order of 1902 envisioned a single track from Cromerty  to Conon and got within 6 miles of Cromarty when WW1 got in the way and was never completed.

Thats partly why i just want a scottish feel to the layout instead of being area specific. Can fully appreciate the single line idea, but for running think a double line is the way to go.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 01:49:23 pm »
So I am all ready to start laying track. Does anyone else get nervous at this stage or is it just me?

I am going to be using woodland scenic track bed, so my thought is to lay track bed first and then track. Any thoughts on if I should lay the curved track first or the straights? Any other tips/advice that might help me?

Cheers

Dave

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything